Wombats City Hostel Vienna- The Base Reviews

Grangasse 6, Vienna, Austria

It is very clean and comfortable. The possibility to cook, bar, internet,... are very usefull. The only thing, which could be better is the storage of bikes. To bring them to the 1st floor on the terrace is quite demanding.

• 1st Oct 2014
  • Czech Republic

As a disabled person, the only request that I made was to have a bottom bunk. I was told to work it out with my flat mates. That went over like a fart in a diver' s helmet. The only thing that saved me was that 3 people left, one from a bottom bunk. I personally think that requests like this should be given full consideration especially when you arrive and show the staff you're not lying and have braces on your legs. As for cleanliness, the staff did there best but people are pigs.

• 30th Sep 2014

Hi , I am so sorry to read that! It is really important for us to help everyone with everything we can. Normally, people ask for a special bunk and then we tell them to figure it out with their room mates. However, if someone really NEEDS the bed (which was your case) because of being disabled or because of vertigo (which would be MY case! :) ), then we always try to help. We will tell our staff to be more careful about this. SORRY! have a wonderful day! Wombats Vienna The Base Management.

there are several wombats in europe and this one is not the prettiest or biggest, but definitily that is the coolest and you will have more fun there an in any other, and I do know all of them. staff extrelly hhelpful and friendly and the organization is great. next time in vienna I shall be with you guys again. way to go.

The hostel was very nice, and not too far from the train station and subway, all commodities in tthe street nearby. It was also very clean, and you have lockers in the bedrooms My advice would be to avoid the bedrooms on the 1st floor, because they are right over the hostel bar so you hear the music until 1 or 2 pm!

Very nice and helpful staff. Location was ok, it was easily reachable by tram and a few minutes walk. Room was clean but wifi signal was really poor. Bathroom was always clean (we stayed on a 6 bed ensuite room). The pub downstairs was very cool and the breakfast was worth its price. i'd recommend this hostel to anyone.

• 26th Sep 2014

I really liked the bar and kitchen area. The only downers were location (the hostel is far from the city center) and the lack of electrical plug outlets in rooms and common areas.

• 25th Sep 2014

Hostel poorly located, the room was not very clean and even had those bugs walking around the bed.

Location is veu close to the main train station but far from Central Vienna. The wifi is terrible and only accessible when you are not around other guests.

hard to find the hostel even though location is good (near the westbahnhof) nice and clean but not good for rest because of too many people.

Location is little bit wierd but rooms and bar were awesome.

Pretty far from the center and the neighboorhood isn't really nice to walk in when it gets dark. It is a bit hard to meet other people. The room was clean though.

Hi ! Thanks for your review :) Vienna is a pretty weird city to talk about a "city center". Our location is actually not bad at all, we are in the middle between the old city and the Schönbrunn Palace, two fo the most important sightseeings of the city :) Normally after 6 pm you can enjoy a beer with other guests in the bar and in the evening many of our guests meet up and cook together or meet new guests in the kitchen. That is something that I have always loved in this house :) :)

Although it might seem close to the metro on google map, it's actually 20 min+ walk! If you have a heavy luggage it's really tiring walk. Other than this, it's ok.

It's located in a central-ish district in Vienna. Problem is it's in a shady part of the district- a couple of blocks off the main street. The walk from the main street to the hostel goes through some really shoddy couple of blocks. The hostel has all the facilities you want in a hostel, and is clean. Most of the staff were awesome. 1-2 had really bad attitudes towards the older guests from non English speaking countries. But 90% of the staff was fantastic.

Thanks for your review ! Actually the first time I got into this house I also thought the area was kind of "darK" (I'm obviously not from Vienna :) ), then I realised that it does not matter in Vienna cause the city is one of the safiest cities in Europe and the area is not "dark" but just "quiet" :) Hope you had a great time with us :)

Good size room and bed. We stayed in a 6 person dorm. Kitchen and dining area a good size with everything you need. Only negative was that there was only two power points in the room and one of those was in the bathroom.

• 20th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Bad wifi connection. Nice bar.

Thanks :) We are working on a better wifi connection. Sorry for that! :(

the self kitchen is good with everything and big. the bar with free beer in the hostel is good.

Cleanliness great! Really friendly staff! Very near metro which took you straight into centre in 5 mins! All you can eat breakfast for €3.90 is so good! Plenty of food! Definitely worth it! Great place

Night staff were not very friendly or helpful on arrival. Would reccomend wombats - the narshmarkt instead. hostel was pretty good, cool bar downstairs and not too far from the main station.

Thanks for your review, :) The night staff is unfortunately the one that has it not easy at all. They need to be the "bad guys" and sometimes they are overwhelmed. Sorry fot he impression they gave you, we will tell them to be nicer of course! Hope you had a great time in Wombats anyway :)

Great bar, great people, great atmosphere.

Very good breakfast for a nice price, staff is helpfull and the atmosphere is very nice with pub and terrace. Metro station is very close. The location is far away from city center as a walking distance specially at night so guests shall consider that.