Wombats City Hostel Vienna- The Base Reviews

Grangasse 6, Vienna, Austria

The hostel is a good one to spend couple of days in Wien. Friendly staff, clean rooms and nice bar on the ground floor with nice prices for drinks. Breakfast cost 3.99 and was really good. What i didn't like is location (tfar from the center and akes 10 minutes to get to subway on foot) and the key-policy. You get a key of your room and locker only for a deposit in a form of any ID-card of yours except for passport. If you stay with friends, each one should leave a deposit for own key/

Nice staff, one free drink ticket after check in (beer-wine-coffee) , 5 min walk to metro station close to trams, and there is a lot of Turkish restaurants so you can eat cheap and good food

Nice modern interior. All the common areas - bar, breakfast area, lobby, hallways - are kept nicely clean, and the room appeared to be as well. The big breakfast is a good value. Location is not perfect, but suitable, and prices appear to reflect that. It is nice to be fairly near a major train station, the Westbahnhof.

It's one of the best hostels in Wien. It's close to city center and Schönbrunn Palace, it takes 15 minutes to go both of them by walking and facilities are perfect and it's very cheap.

Thanks for your review! You got the point: it is at a good distance (actually in the middle) from two of the most important views in Vienna, Schönbrunn and the city center :-) Nice to hear that you liked it

Very nice atmosphere, the staff was really helpfull and friendly. It's a bit far from the metro, but it's not a big deal.

• 16th Apr 2014

My friends and I stayed in the hostel for 2 nights. We were really happy with it! Great location, clean rooms, convenient bar in the hostel... :) The only thing that was a bit bugging us, was the limited number of plugs in the room, but we charged our phones one by one, and it was OK. I would recommend this hostel for sure.

• 16th Apr 2014
  • Slovenia

This hostel has an excellent value for money!

Great place to saty, really helpful staff, good bar

The common area is not very clean but the room that we stayed in was in excellent condition. We loved the kitchen and the dining room where people could meet up and chatted while preparing their meals although the fridge was quite small.

I have to say that the dinning/breakfast area is also my favourite place when guests start chatting and cooking together. Happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us! ;-)

Staff assigned us beds that were not cleared by previous occupants. When we tried to tell them the situation, they explained it as stuff left by our roommates and suggested we settle it with them later, which is an odd explanation. Had to clear the beds ourselves in the end which was kinda gross since one of the bedsheets was stained. Not the best Wombat's experience.

The hostel is huge and despite is not in the very city center, is very easy / cheap to go there. The environment is awesome, the party goes on untill the sunshine! I would definently recomend it!

And the hostel is also made by guests like you, who really make the atmosphere cool and give the hostel that special thing that every hostel need. Thanks!

Almost excellent hostel atmosphere. Good hostel's bar. Staff speaks english very well. The cons are pure wi-fi connectivity, and the rule to check out before 10am. It might be hard to wake up, have some breakfast and check out when you like to sleep much or you're tired

• 12th Apr 2014
  • Ukraine

But you can do it the other way around: you check out around ten and THEN have breakfast :-) Also, you can afterwards lay down in the sofas or upstairs in our cool terrace.

We stayed here after staying at Wombat's in Munich. Although The Base was clean and near the station it didn't have the same atmosphere. Seemed to be really popular for class groups so there was a lot of young people around. Also the whole place is quite dark and though there is a bar, there wasn't any other chill out area. Still a good hostel but the weakest of the Wombat's we stayed in (the other being Budapest).

Sorry that you got the class groups week, which is normally one or two weeks before easter : -( I know we don't have the huge chill out areas from Munich and Budapest (they are bigger hostels anyway, with way more beds ;-) ) but you forgot to mention our cool terrace!! the diamond of the house :-) Anyway, I hope you really enjoyed your stay with us and we are happy to know that you like wombats that much :-)

The hostel was clean and the room was well appointed. Throughout our stay the staff was friendly and accomadating. There was a slight probelm maintaining a stable wifi connection, but it did reach the rooms easily. Also, the elevator was very slow. The hostel was easy walking distance from the train station, which made getting around Vienna a breeze. The breakfast, for 3.90, was quite good and worth the cost.

Wombats is quite a perfect hostel except the location when you go for first time. Both the staff for the base and the lounge are very helpful and friendly.

It was good, only for young people because there is environment of party

The hostel was pretty okay. The guy who was sleeping at the bottom side of the bed was farting too much so the room smelled prettty bad. But I guess that was not the hostel's fault...just my bad luck. The dudes at the reception were pretty helpfull. They answer all my questions about the city pretty accurate.

Sorry to hear your experience with the farting guy :- ( Next time we could maybe give him some tea against farting problems? :-D Just kidding, you can ask at the front desk if there is a way to change rooms and if there is something free we can always try our best to give you another room :-)

Good place, but a little bit far from the center.

A little bit far away from the city centre, but there are some trams and public transportation nearby. Great room, great bed, great shower.

And I have to add: great guests! :-)

Very far to city center, you need to take metro or bus, I think not cheap and the staff normal, I wanted some help and the staff spoke with me very fast and had no patience, at leat I realise feel this, the internet is very bad, all the time you need to take password on the reception. The shower is nice, there is a kitchen and free pasta.

Hi! I am really sorry that we talked so fast with you, we will try our best to improve that :-( Normally, we do have a lot of patience and we love talking to our guests, cause there are so many things to learn from you :-) The ride to the city center might seem long, but it is quite easy and fast, many young people live in this area cause the center and the good places are easy to reach from Westbahnhof :-) Hope you enjoyed Vienna anyway :-)