Woodduck Backpackers Reviews

390 Upper Roma Street, Brisbane, Brisbane, Australia

The staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean. However: It would be a good idea if this place offered enough towels so that at the end of the day you don't feel like the dishes are even dirtier after you wiped them than before you washed them. Also, hanging up more "forbidden" signs doesn't make the people better – rather the opposite, since you declare them to be your enemies. Also, an investment into more stable beds would be better than the cheapest option which just hangs through.

You have to pay 20$ when you forgot to dry your dishes. The CCTV Camera always spys on you. That was terrible :(

• 8th Oct 2014

Kitchen had two cookers only one worked. So 4x hobs between 60 people.! No oven!!!! Women's showers only one worked properly. Between a lot of girls. Found myself waiting a while for showers at times. Atmosphere upon arrival not the best. Residents who stayed for long periods of time became too comfortable and made it hard for new comers to feel comfortable in rooms. Some of my things got stolen, although they checked CCTV and the culprit was asked to leave the hostel.

• 31st Aug 2014

All in all the hostel is Ok. The kitchen is well equiped and you are fined 20 $ if you don't do your dishes which is good in my opinion. The kitchen is being closed at 10pm but unfortunately the common room not. In three of four nights I woke up at 5 am because drunk people where yelling through the common room and there's no door which can be locked for cancelling the noices. Aditionally you here the trains running even though my room was not facing the road/tracks. It is an ok hostel

Great hostel if you're travelling out of Roma Street by train. Bedrooms were clean, showers were abysmal due to lack of water pressure and location of shower head. Kitchen was also dirty with sponges and tea towels that looked like they hadn't been washed in a long while... Bearable for a night's stay but wouldn't recommend for any longer.

• 25th Aug 2014

Thanks for your review. Our bathrooms are currently having scheduled maintenance carried out to resolve any such issues so we apologize for this. I do have to disagree with your comments about the kitchen. We clean the kitchen regularly through out the day, but maintaining the cleanliness is a reflection of how guests use the space. Sponges and tea towels are changed multiple times during the day. We hope you enjoy the rest of your travels.

Extremely unkept messy rooms

Hi there. This review really concerns me as we try our very best to maintain a clean and tidy hostel. On some occasions this is out of our hands due to your fellow room mates. This is certainly not a reflection of our rooms. You should have bought any concerns you had to the attention of the management team and we would happily have resolved this for you. We wish you a pleasant onward journey.

Excellent location! The hostel lacked in atmosphere which I believe is due to a lot of long stay travellers, therefore it's clicky. There was suppost to be activities displayed such as movie night, karaoke and cheese

• 21st Aug 2014

I just been here for half day and check out early, so I can't tell you about the whole thing about this hostel. What I know is the staff is really friendly and the beds squeak indeed (LOL). It is a pity that the Wifi here is not for free.

Many thanks for your review. WiFi is not free as we offer a product that works well, as such we even have guests of neighboring hostels offering free WiFi coming in to pay for our service. Hopefully we have chance to welcome you back to our hostel. Safe travels form all of us here at Woodduck.

Cool hostel

Located on top of a steep hill, so people with heavy luggages be aware! No free wifi, no breakfast. Nice staff tho that carried my suitcase up to the 2nd floor (no elevators and all rooms are on the 2nd floor :/ ) . Met some nice people , so a pretty good atmosphere I would say, a smaller and more personal hostel. You were able to book tours and airport shuttles in and around brisbane through the hostel .

Thank you for your kind words it is really nice to hear from you. Only half of our rooms are on the upper floor and yes there are a few steps to climb but as you say we are always happy to assist a young lady with her luggage :) Enjoy your travels from all here Woodduck

The atmosphere in this place is great, you walk in and feel like you have 20 new friends. The staff are friendly and always willing to help, and the whole place is being continually cleaned. A few simple things like paper towel in the bathrooms for drying your hands, and a working DVD player in the common room is all it needs. Oh, and the beds are squeaky which was a bit annoying. Will definitely choose this hostel again if I'm back in Brisbane.

Squeaky beds so annoying. Old building. Very average for the price.

"Don't go in the girls bathroom. You'll have to leve the hostel without a refund." "Don't go out on the balcony. You'll have to leave the hostel without a refund." "Do your dishes, othervise you have to pay 20 aud. Or leave the hostel without a refund." "Don't bring people from outside. You'll have to pay 150 aud fine." I've never been to a hostel with so many rules. Good and big rooms thou.

We have no more signs than any other hostel, in fact far less than many others within the area. Unfortunately we have to have some signs up to protect our guests from people who believe it okay to trespass on neighbour's property, leave a big mess behind for other guests to suffer, bring in non guests that cause damage to our property, or guys that think it okay to walk in to a bathroom occupied by ladies, We are pleased that you enjoyed our rooms though. Safe travels dude!

The hostel is alright, but noting special. But guys if you close the reception earlier you should tell people who want to check out...

stayed for 1 night and it was fine. It is a few blocks from the train station.

booked twin room within a 8er dorm room!! beds in all rooms years old and very loud, you hear turning the people everytime, no good sleeping kitchen/eating area not welcoming, but clean conclusion: there are a lot more interesting hostels just next door, money/value not that good

Thanks for your review but I would like to question some of your points. Your room was private with shared access so I am unclear on your point. Our common area is a very popular area for both eating and hanging out and is always full of people socializing with fellow travelers. All of our beds are less than 3 years old however unfortunately due to how some guests treat them, some have developed a creak. We are looking at having these replaced. Private room $70 you will not find better value

An okay hostel near the city centre. The beds were so squeaky that even a small movement made a horrible sound. The showers were bad. The staff was very friendly!

Thank for your review. it is good to see that you enjoyed most of our hostel, especially the staff and atmosphere. We do try hard to deliver a warm welcome. Some of our beds have unfortunately developed a small squeak due to misuse by some of our guests and we hope to have them replaced very soon. Showers bad? Would have been good for some more constructive feedback. Enjoy the rest of your travels and thanks again from everyone at the Duck!

This is a really nice little hostel - I ended up extending my stay as a few days didn't feel like enough. The staff were great and really helpful and the people staying there really made it. If I'm ever back in Brisbane this is definitely where I'll stay.

Hey thank you so much for your kind words. It was a pleasure having you stay with us and we hope to welcome you back one day soon. Everyone here at the Duck wishes you a safe and fun packed onward adventure!

Friendly staff, Pretty clean, the place looked like it had been recently renovated too. Would stay again.

A hostel with a friendly atmosphere and a very convenient location both to Brisbane CBD and to Southbank