World Square Hostel Reviews

640 George Street, Sydney, Sydney, Australia

Waited over an hour to check in due to some issue with police in adjoining hostel. No number left or anything on reception. Staff member was kind of apologetic but damage had already been done! Excellent location in central Sydney. Nice atmosphere, showers were clean but bathroom sink didn't work (had black bin bag covering it up) and the beds weren't comfy, but at this price I wasn't expecting anything better. Good value for money, friendly staff and guests, worth it for the location alone.

The building has lots of historic potential, curved staircases, great corner windows, but this hostel needs updated. The carpets were worn out and stained. The ventilation was poor and the ladies room needed the trash taken out. There was wifi, but only in the lobby, no towels provided. Its survivable, but I'd choose another hostel over this one.

Despite the rooms been cleaned daily, the sanatry bin in the all female bathrooms where overflowing which was disgusting. The kitchen was disgusting, I refused to eat there. If you're looking for a social hostel then this isn't the one. It's full of homeless local who just sit and talk about their issues.

On Friday the lobby becomes a dancing area, where people that are not staying at the hostel can enter.

It's way to could in the room.

• 3rd Aug 2015
  • Denmark

This hostel is all right if you wanna stay in the city. Just keep in mind that it is fairly noisy - also at night (traffic, road works, clubs and bars). Reg. the 18 bed room: it is above the lounge. During the weekend it is used as a club - so it might be verrryyy noisy. Apart from that it is a spaceous room. The 8 bed dorm is one level higher (might be a better option during weekends). Internet is unlimited but didn't work very well for me (too slow). Staff is very friendly.

• 29th Jul 2015

Great hostel in a great location. Would highly recommend to anyone new to Sydney especially as the location is perfect. The hostel is clean, beds comfy and the staff friendly. By far my favourite hostel in the city. Great prices and really is everything you need from a hostel.

• 20th Jul 2015
  • Algeria

The hostel is in the middle of the city which it make easier to go to places. I liked the staff who were very friendly and helpful. The hostel has free wifi, free washing power and the cheapest beer $3 dollars!!! I will definitely come back here.

• 16th Jul 2015

For the price I paid, I was extremely impressed. The bathrooms are clean and I was pleasantly surprised by the showers which were clean, warm and powerful. The staff could be friendlier but they show great care. The wifi was down during my visit so we got free dinner each night!

• 13th Jun 2015

Very accommodating in that the staff worked hard to get our group of 6 into a room together just a few days before our arrival. The bathrooms were cleaned well each morning and we had no issues with the other guests. No AC or heating so our room was a bit chilly in the winter but it was manageable when the windows were closed. I would recommend this hostel for it's location and general cleanliness.

Great location, great hostel, great everything except the beds are pretty uncomfortable. I would recommend bringing a sleeping bag to lay down so you don't feel the springs...

• 26th May 2015

Pretty good hostel, got upgraded from 18 person room to a 4 person room, Clean but when you check out there is no luggage room just the main lobby. Not that close to opera house/harbor bridge. Kings cross is a better location for that. Super close to mall/ Coles groceries (25 second walk). Bar is okay and does a pub crawl/cheaper drinks. Kitchen clean but only 1 shower/bathroom per floor

World square was my first stop in Australia traveling alone and I couldn't have been happier, I extended my stay twice. super easy to make friends, staff were friendly and the free bar crawls were a lot of fun. Wifi was down but it wasn't really a problem cause you can get it from the bar downstairs. Make sure you use the free bus on George St. Great vibe would stay again for sure.

• 22nd May 2015

It was not worth the money that I paid to stay there. A few months back I visited Sydney and spent $80 at Wake Up Hostel and the accommodations were much, much better than at World Square Hostel. World Square Hostel was very dirty, smelled awful, the bed was extremely uncomfortable and our room smelled like cigarette smoke. I will never stay there again.

• 22nd May 2015

The hostel was okay. There was nothing great about it other than the location but there also wasn't anything too drastically terrible about it either. I will say that when we walked into Reception it smelled like a Fraternity house after a party. The floor was sticky with beer and the smell kind of carried throughout the hostel. I mean you get what you pay for.

• 17th May 2015

While the site mentions the hostel has a bar in the same building (which is fairly common) it doesn't mention that this is closer to a club and on a Friday night you will be unable to sleep until gone 3am as even staying on the top floor the bass was unbearable. My bed was basically springs and there wasn't even any wifi as this was down as well. While the rooms were clean the shower was pretty mank and the overall feel was very cheap.

• 15th May 2015

Friendly and helpful staff, amazing location, clean, comfortable beds and all facilities at disposition .

• 11th May 2015

Great location in the middle of the city. Good sized rooms with comfy beds, good showers and all were very clean. With a bar down stairs, you have to show your key card when returning in the evening. The bouncers can be intimidating. It would be nice if the staff informed me of this situation on arrival. Great price. I'd stay again.

It was a great place to stay. I was traveling alone and loved staying here

• 7th May 2015

Pretty basic hostel, clean rooms and toilets but no aircon which could be a problem in summer! Wifi only works on reception level which is a bit of a pain! Can be noisy if you have a room looking on to George street but can't really complain about that if your looking for a hostel with excellent CBD location which this is! Overall good stay

• 5th May 2015