Ximena's Guest House Reviews

Calle San Salvador #202A, Col. Centroamerica, San Salvador, El Salvador

We only passed through for one night but this guest house was clean and the beds were comfortable. The staff was also very helpful in helping us plan the next leg(s) of our trip. Was a short taxi ride to either of the major bus stations and I would highly recommend eating at the hamburger place on the corner.

The hostel is close to the bus routes which is really good. It is also only around 25 minutes to walk to the historical center if you want (though buses are only 20 cents). I didn't get to meet Lena but she was wonderful in helping me out before I arrived. The ladies at the front desk were also very nice and friendly and always cleanings. The dorm rooms are very basic but clean. I would stay here again.

Thanks for your positive comments Sarah. Too bad I was not around the days you stayed so I could meet you but I am happy my staff took good care of you. Hope you can come back soon.

I had a wonderful stay at Ximena's Guest House. The room was large and had a ceiling fan that kept me cool. Lena and her staff are very helpful with trip planning and informing you of what is in the area. I would recommend this guest house to everyone!

Thanks for your positive comments Martie. I am glad you had a good time with us. Lena

They have a problem with internet.it didn't work all the time. They do not offer access to the kitchen and kitchen facilities ,and fridge the. Everything there was worn out, starting from the beds and finishing on the eating area tables .Website is saying that there is terrace ,but it is only cement roof with 2 dirty plastic tables and 4 chairs. And no view around-only plastic bags and others junky roofs. Our room was really ugly .It was not what I expected.90% in reviews is exaggerate.

The 90% are other people who seem quite pleased with our hotel and our service (you are of the few who are not satisfied with your stay). Your info about the iinternet is a lie as I personally arranged with the telephone company to fix the error that only lasted half a day,and all the other guests used it just fine after that) We do not have an open kitchen - our website does not say we do. Our rooftop terrace is not dirtly, its clean and don´t expect a luxury room for just $29. Bad judgement

This was a nice place to stay, however the nearby area didnt feel like it had much going on other than big chain American restaurants such as Burger King, Wendys, Subway etc. Felt safe to walk around at night though. Kind of annoying that you have to pay to use lockers, or to use the computer with internet, even though it is cheap. Also the lockers are not in your room which is a bit of a pain. Rooms were very basic but alright. It was a nice place to stay but just nothing outstanding.

At the reception we hand out a little leaflet with information about the area and what you can find here, too bad you did not read it. There are 2 museums within walking distance (Museo de Arte popular and the Contemporary history museum , Museo de la palabra y el imagen) if you explore a little bit beyond the main street here are several local eateries serving typical dishes for a low cost. Big advantage of our location is being close to all the most important bus routes to explore the country.

This is an old guesthouse and is in need of a renovation. However, the rooms are clean and comfortable and there is hot water for showers. The staff are friendly and helpful and it is located in a nice area of San Salvador, close to many shops and restaurants. I stayed here for 7 nights and would happily stay here again.

Your were great to have Andrew. Thanks for positive comments. Hope you have amazing adventures in your next destination. Merry x-mas.

My mother and I spent 3 nights at Ximena's Guesthouse in early September, 2013, and we couldn't have asked for a better experience! The guesthouse is in a quiet neighborhood, but very close to restaurants and bus lines. We felt secure while walking around and inside the hotel. All the staff were friendly, and Lena graciously helped us plan our visit both via emails and later in person. She even arranged a private beekeeping tour, because it is something I was interested in learning more about.

I am so happy you enjoyed your bee-tour. You and your mother are always welcome and hopefully next time we can arrange more trips to interesting places for you ! Thanks for your positive comments.

Very nice hostel. We don't speak Spanish, so one of the owners, Lena came in during breakfast and helped us immensely with our itinerary for the day and for the rest of our El Salvador travels. She even kept in touch via email after we left the hostel to help us with transportation, etc. The private room had a TV with full cable...it was very nice! Location was not in the fanciest part of San Salvador, but a good experience with restaurants about five min. walk away and a big mall 15 min walk.

Our room was very old and definitely needed a renovation. Especially the bathroom was kind of dangerous. I overlooked the warning signal not to touch the shower with wet hands and so I got electric shocks as I touched the shower with my head... Lena was very friendly and helpful!

Talk to Lena, she knows the city and county very well. She can provide you with usefull tips and extra information! Don't miss that chance! And: stay at theire beach house at Barro de Santiago! Endless beaches just for you! Give it a try!!

Thanks for your comments it was a pleasure to have you. I am happy to provide all our guests with travel info. If I am not around when you are just ask the staff for me and I will be of help, even on the phone. Thanks. Lena

Yeah this hostel is ok but definitely not great but there isn't many other options in SS. The WiFi is not free nor is the internet it costs $2 to get on the WiFi. Not a big deal but it says on here free WiFi and free internet. Maybe someone from Hostelworld sort that out as it is misleading. As far as I can tell there is only 2 bathrooms for the people in the dorms and one doesn't have a sink to wash your hands. You aren't allowed to use the kitchen which is not ideal.

Very impressed --spent 6 nights and intend to return once again before this trip is over. Key to my positive experience was English-speaking Lena, who offered accurate, useful, and insightful information on a daily basis. Got a question? Call her up and she will walk over from her home office to answer it. Need a cab? They park just around the corner. Want to take a city bus? Catch a half dozen lines within walking distance. Clean. Cheap. Quiet. Safe. Go to the nearby Uraguyan BBQ. Wow!

• 26th May 2013

I enjoy this place, I like the location and also the service, people here are very friendly and everybody wants to help in whatever they can.

• 24th Mar 2013
  • Honduras

Thanks for your pleasant words. We are happy you liked our hotel and our service. Welcome back on another occation.

Nice place. They were in the middle of refurbishing when I was there so should be a lot nicer next time

Thanks for comments. We hope you will like it even better next time you come. Safe travels.

Staff were friendly but they charged you for everything, like wifi etc. No self serve laundry service so they charged you $8 for a single load wash and dry, which was a bit steep. Then to top it off, the rooms don't have insect wire so we all got massacred by mosquitos. Didn't sleep at all! Won't be recommending this hostel.

Although its not common with mosquito in this area in the dry season sometimes after a rainfall there can be mosquito around and we encourage people to keep the door to the dorms closed in the afternoon so they do not enter. There is no use of screens if guests leave the door open so they fly right in. Since the dorm is shared with more people its important all make sure this is done. Unfortunately in your case someone did leave the door open and it turned your stay into an uncomfortable experience. Normally this is not an issue here at the hotel. As for the charging of everything, we only charge for extra services which is common in hotels. As for the cost of laundry we charge $4 for a whole machine load to wash, and no additional costs if its dried in the sun, if you want it dried in a dryer its an additional $4 . Take in account that the electricity has an unusual high cost in El Salvador and we are charging just a minimum for this service.

Dirty rooms with old camp style beds, very thin matresses. Horrible bathroom which didn`t have running water for most of our stay. Luckily we only stayed here one night. Only plus point was the location which seemed in a nice residential area which allowed us to venture out after dark to get some dinner. Not worth the money, my advice would be to stay somewhere else.

• 10th Aug 2012

The rooms at our hotel are not dirty, some of the rooms need a new coat of paint, as the whole hotel is currently being renovated, the room you stayed in is coming up next. We are serious about being a clean place, if the bath was not clean at the moment you used it, remember its a shared bath and the staff keep coming back cleaning it as often as possible but if someone else used it before you that might be the reason it was not clean at the moment you entered. The baths should all have running water, if there was none you should have informed the staff as we always provide an alternative (like a private room) if a shared bath has any problems. I am sorry you had a bad experience at our hotel. Other guests seem to think otherwise.

If being a little laid-back, I could not find better people. Very friendly and helpful.

Thanks for your friendly remarks. We are always happy to help our guests out with travel and tourist information.

Had a great time, the owner is unbelievably helpful, and it's generally just a really cool place to stay in San Salvador. Big recommendation.

its a 10 min walk to the metro center which is great. we turned up 2 days early because of a change of plans,they just swappad our booking. the hostel was empty there was the two of us and 1 other person which we only met once. so its not fair to judge the atmosphere when the place is empty. The rooms could do with a paint job and the bunk bed in our room looks so old.the beds were camp beds squashed together so I was glad the hostel was empty as it would be very cramped if the room was full.

Great hostel, location and really nice and helpful staff! stay there if you´re in san salvador!