Xingping This Old Place International Youth Hostel Reviews

No.5, Rongtan Rd., Xingping, Yangshuo, China

This is the friendliest hostel I have ever stayed at. Because Xingping is a small port town, there is not a lot going on at night. This means that most of those staying in the hostel are having dinner, watching movies, talking, or singing in the common areas. I enjoyed my time here and was able to connect with many other hostelers to go out for meals or take a hike in the area. Know that the deposit for your room key is 100 yuan, which can be three times more than the cost of your nightly stay..

• 17th Jul 2014

Dear guest, we are happy to know that you had a good time with us!! Meanwhile, we get confused a little bit about your comment. The score on staff performance we got from you is very low but you wrote down we were the friendliest hostel at the same time. Besides, to be honest, we really have difficulties in understanding your complain about the deposit for the room key that supposed to return you when you check out. Best wishes!!

There was building work going on at the front of the building all night so did not sleep at all. Although the hostel cannot control the building work we felt they should have infirmed us how late it would go on for and not rented out the room we were in as truly impossible to sleep. When my sister moved to the dorm to try and sleep they refused to give us discount on this, which seemed abit poor. We were tgere three days and our room was not ckeaned once and wuth the dyst coming in from the building work it

We are sorry to know that you did not enjoy your stay with us.However, there are 3 things we need to explain enough. First, we have told you that how hard we tried to figure out when the workers would stop working, but even the workers themselves are not sure. Second, you changed the room since you two had different needs of air-con. More room cost more money. Third, actually,we did give you CNY5 discount even you are not happy enough about that. Best wishes!

Great hostel! Really clean, great atmosphere. Each bed in the dorms has its own light and power socket, a much over-looked necessity. The staff are really nice and helpful. Good shower and good AC. The only slightly annoying detail was that we had to come to the reception every day to re-activate our room key, and also the garbage bins are not emptied every day unless you ask... All in all, highly recommended!

Had a pleasant stay at This Old Place, probably the best in town. Helpful and friendly staff that speaks understandable english. 4 bed mixed dorm was quite small but acceptable for 3 nights. The homemade pizza was delicious and so was also the food from the cafe next door. Can really recommend renting bicycles (¥20/day) and explore the small villages and landscapes around the town, we even got invited for lunch with a local villager and his family, sign language being or only communication.

it was nice staying there. i would come again.

Dear guest, we are glad to hear that your had a lovely time with us!! Your satisfaction is our greatest wishes! Thanks a lot for your comment. Welcome to our hostel again! Best regards! :)

i think there is nothing to change. everything was great. so kind stuff, they provided me all the things that i needed even if it wasnt their jobs. i 100% recommend on this place. best hostel i ever been.

We are glad to hear that your had a lovely time with us!! Your satisfaction is our greatest wishes! Welcome to our hostel again! Have a nice day :)

Nice hostel, right around the corner from the hike to the Lao Zhai mountain (tiring hike, but the views are worth it). Cute common areas in both buildings. Only complaint is that the metal bunk beds and lockers are rather loud and shaky when trying to move about without waking up your dorm mates, and the minor annoyance that I had to leave the new building to go to the old building to get a new roll of toilet paper in my pi's. Minor things though.

This place was a bit poorly maintained. Little things broken, lost locks for lockers, lights not working, malfunctioning air con, the room looked like no one had ever wiped off any dust. Nice place otherwise, great location.

Thanks for your comments, and sorry for we were not thoughtful. The things you said really existed, but we didn't notice that. We will try our best to improve our facilities,and quality of services. Welcome back to XingPing this old place again, and we are confident that you will see our progress. ------------XingPing this old place

One of my favourite hostels during my China trip. Fantastic location to enjoy the limestone peaks; especially from the upstairs balcony. The hostel's pizzas are delicious and worth a taste too. Staff are helpful and pleasant.

Usually it's the staff that make a huge difference, but at this hostel, most of them were so-so, unfriendly and not helpful except for 2 (a nice guy called Liu and Anne). No organized social events. A small area near the pizza oven was the only cool social spot. The staff refused to change my room from single to dorm, saying it wasn't their policy, although all the other hostels I've been to did so without any fuss. Their "new" restaurant is pricey and bland, tho' recommended by the staff.

We respect your opinions, but we have to defense ourselves with reasonable points.1 the definition of friendly differ from person to person. We can not agree that it is equal to satisfying every demand from u. 2, about changing the room, we have explained it in email even with a screenshot show you why we cannot do that and you finally agreed about. 3, you told our staff in new cafe that you loved the dishes and will try their other dish tomorrow.Sorry, but we got hurt by your unfair comment

It is a really nice place. Very clean and new. would Definitely recommend it

We are truly glad to know that you had a great time with us!! Welcome to Xingping again !! Have a nice day :)

I had a wonderful stay at This Old Place. The staff was helpful and friendly and the pizza was delicious. Ronny was particularly helpful and kind - on his morning off of work he took me and two other guests on a beautiful bike ride. I enjoyed my stay so much that I decided to stay two nights instead of one. If you're looking for a quiet and comfortable place to stay outside of the hustle and bustle around yangshuo, this is the place to be!

Thanks a lot for your comment. We are so glad to know that you had a good stay with us. Welcome to This Old Place again. Best wishes :)

keep training your english, and the pizza's are amazing.

Glad to hear that you had a good time with us and love our pizza. Thanks a lot for your comment and we will try our best to be better.

Great place, highly recommended. Full satisfaction with everything!

Thanks for your good comments, we will continue to do the best , welcome come back again.

The hostel itself was nice. The location was amazing and the staff were vey friendly. However, I stayed there just after the May Day holiday and it took a long time for my room to be prepared, (I arrived around 3pm and didn't get up to my room until after 6.) Even then, I had to wait before officially checking in. Hopefully this was just because of the busy holiday. I would still recommend this place to anyone in the Yangshuo/guilin/Xingping area. The area and hostel itself were worth the wait.

Thanks your true comments. On 1st may , it is big holiday in china ,so we are busy , sorry for your waiting a long time .we will try to do the best to provide the services . we hope that you can see our process when you come back again . Thanks for your suggestion.

The wifi connection is very poor in the room. Like the rooftop space as you can see the whole view of the port and it is spacious. During my visit, the staff was busy entertained other travelers though I've been standing there earlier to be entertained with. The dorm is quite spacious for 8 person and the bathroom is clean and they had many of it

We do not provide the wifi in the room , just in the Public areas. in order to make friends among the more guests . On 1st may , it is busy holiday in china , sorry for your waiting a long time . some of guests make the reservation more earlier , or others order the menu more faster . that why you waited longer time . We just have 6-bed dorm for most 6 people, not for 8 people. anyway ,thanks for your comments , and we will improved quality of service . thanks again

The best hostel I've ever stayed in. It felt like a hotel and was excellent value for money ! Bags of atmosphere, and having been pizza-deprived for most of the yr in Beijing, we really appreciated your wood oven ! Definitely rent bikes and follow one of the routes recommended. Also fantastic hiking. Thank you Ronnie, who works there and led us on a hike to a picturesque fishing village. Unfortunately we took a long detour and made him late for work. Sorry, and we really appreciate it :-)

Thanks for your comments , welcome come back again. with regards

The hostel itself was great. Location was central and very easy to find, our private room was very clean and had a nice view on the mountains. We didn't hang around the hostel much but it seemed cool enough if you wanted to hang around and meet some people or go on tours with them. My only complaint is that we went to their restaurant down the road, where there was a mixup and it took more than 1.5 hours for them to bring us the food + there was a cockroach leg in the coffee. YUCK!

Thanks for your true comments. As to our restaurant , we are so sorry to hear about that , on those days , our first chef was on vacation , just only the second chef , so the cooking prepare slowly , sorry for your waiting 1.5 hours . As to cockroach leg in the coffee , we had paid more attention to that and avoid happen to that again . In a word , thanks for your suggestion , which let us know these serious problem that we will try to improve our services .

Beautiful view from our balcony, great room, very clean, right on the river in a quieter area!

Thanks for your comments , we try to do the best ,not only the good location , but the good service we try to provide . welcome come back again. with regardes

This is a really good place to stay! The rooms are big, wooden and the bathroom was fantastic. Clean, cosy, good food (if you want) and really nice stuff with good advice!

Thanks for your good comments ,we will continue to do the best , welcome come back again.