YHA Auckland City Reviews

Cnr City Road & Liverpool st, 20, Auckland, New Zealand

stayed in a 2 person room, cozy and a nice change from 6-8 person bunks -- high security so that was comforting -- free unlimited wifi #winning

Nice people, good approach. There were more families and older individuals than I expected. Though it made it seem more quality and safer since they found it adequate as well. The place got a bit stuffy since the windows would barely open. But it was bareable. Over all it was a good experience with friendly, approachable people.

• 30th Jan 2016

We had a 4-day double room booked in YHA. We found this place a quiet, relatively clean and good value for money. It has an excellent kitchen; The wifi internet access was good & reliable. If you are a non-smoker, don't book level-2 rooms. The only downside is the steep uphill from Queen St but you keep fit in return. I would book a room in this hostel again.

• 11th Jan 2016
  • Couple, 41+

Was only here for one day but it was a safe, clean hostel with everything you needed.

Pros: Cheap Great, clean kitchen Well organized/friendly staff Chill out area Clean and good showers Good location Cons: Lockers are expensive The matress was really old Rugs and toilets were dirty Not so social (but good for families) Very nice hostel where you have everything you need. The beds are not the most comfortable ones, but its okay for the price. They should clean the rugs in the room more often, but the kitchen and the showers were super clean.

We got this hostel for $11 per night for a 2 bed mixed dorm, which was amazing as a couple. Not sure why we got it so cheap? We stayed here for about 10 days, it's a great hostel with helpful staff and a big kitchen. Good location as it's near Queen street, although the hill it's on is a bit of a killer to walk up.

We enjoy our stay there! Congrats to all the staff!

The staff was very helpful and smiling. The wifi didnt work on the first floor but not much yiu can do about that, i wish they at least had it working in the kitchen/dining area.

Good simple hostel, very central. Since it is very big, I think rooms should be locked. In my case my room mates forgot (because you have to activate the lock inside the room before you go out), not so safe.. Otherwise good value for money if you need a place to stay, but not a place to hang out.

Staff are really friendly and helpful, clean kitchen and wash rooms, good location.

This hostel is like all YHA, almost perfect but lacking personality and personal touch but it is what you expect in a hostel being part of a chain . The kitchen is absolutely fantastic and huge , the TV room is pleasant and wifi works well.

Elevator a bit dodgy

• 26th Nov 2015
  • New Zealand

Very good large kitchen, clean and tidy. The doors on every room slam and that's all you can hear and feel. Staff were not the most friendliest but quiet unhelpful when you had questions. The street it on is also very loud.

Good, clean hostel. Comfortable bed, friendly staff, large kitchen and a nice outdoor patio area.

Was in a female double and fast asleep at 11 pm when the second girl walked in - guess that's to be expected in this location. Found it a bit unfortunate that one of the two toilets on the floor I was on was out of order, but then again it didn't cause queues while I was there. The room itself was ok for one night, comfy bed! There was quite a bit of mould behind the curtain when I closed it, that might need some looking at.

Thanks for your feedback. Security of all our guests is very important as is the safety of our guests. We are required to know who is staying and who is in the secure areas of the hostel should we need to evacuate the building. We realise this is inconvenient at times but safety and security comes first.

This lace is very good, had a two bed room, comfortable, enjoyed stay here, recommend.

Room was adequate, kitchen was big but always messy.

Comparing to hostel in Germany, I think that it's much better than NZL because i could have free breakfast, i could have my own cabinet to keep my things, my personal light by my bed and there is keycard !! Not just keys

• 25th Oct 2015
  • Thailand

This hostel was perfectly adequate for our last couple of nights in Auckland. Not great for travellers wanting to meet people as it was quite large and the communal areas were not very atmospheric. Reception staff were helpful and informative enough. Location is a bit of an up hill walk out of town, not too far away but would probably stay a bit more central in future.

Arrived to find out we'd been upgraded at no extra cost. The hostel was pretty full which was the reason for this. Definitely helped my first impression of the place. It was clean, tidy and the beds were comfy. Kitchen was great and had a good selection of social areas. Would definitely stay there again.