YHA Auckland City Reviews

Cnr City Road & Liverpool st, 20, Auckland, New Zealand

It smelled strange in the whole hostel and the bedsheets were dirty- annoying because you are not allowed to use your sleeping bag.

Good location, good facilities. rooms were a bit cold!! staff were helpful in finding us a room for an extra night.

Pretty clean hostel with a good central location, it is located on top of a steep hill tho that you need to carry your luggage up for, so beware of this! Wasnt fun dragging a 25 kilo suitcase up at 2am ;p no breakfast and no free wifi, wifi can only be used if purchasing an YHA membership for NZ , which didnt make sense for me since I was only in Nz for a few days, so didnt have any internet at all :( only 2 power plugs in each room (for 8 people to share?! ) . Facilities were alright.

The hostel was easy to find and the staff were friendly. The kitchen/dining area was really spacious compared to a lot of other places I've been. The towel rental price was only NZ$1 and it was a big towel. Also I like the the showers had a changing area to keep clothes dry. The only down sides were in the room. My bed felt like a waterbed. There was no support and it was hard to get out of. Also there was a heater on in the room but it was so cold. It was warmer in the hallway than in the room.

A very good hostel, the 217th I've stayed at (since 1959), but my first in NZ. Very helpful staff. Improvements could be effected in the following ways: (1) Eliminate the continuous "music" that drones on and on in the dining area (I sometimes took my meal up to the quiet room upstairs); (2) instal lockable lockers in rooms - as is usual in Australia.

* quite difficult to find as there is no obvious signage on Queen Street. * very disappointed that there was no free storage after checkout. I had one hour to kill between checkout and catching a bus and I was looking forward to wandering around town, and just wanted to put my suitcase in the storage room for an hour. the storage room is only for early check-in. there are payable lockers, but that didn't suit me. * i was upgraded to a nicer room and I was extremely grateful for that. :)

• 2nd Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

Nice clean hostel close to bus stop for the airport. Friendly staff and very helpful.

No heating and the complete hostel was f***cold! Even though I got a second blanket, I needed to go to McD or Starbucks to get warm. Nevertheless quite good location (bus stop is near), its clean, has nice and helpful staff, free WiFi for members only ( which actually did not work either). Big kitchen, many showers. For summer ok, for winter No Go!

Cool place to stay, met a lot of chill people, and the staff was extremely helpful! I would recommend it.

Very cold in the whole hostel, no heaters. Had to wear my coat all the time, rooms are moist.

Happy with the nice quiet corner we had.. Would love to see the duvet inners washed more often.! Good stay thanks.

• 30th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

Very nice, clean and comfortable hostel for people who need to stay in Auckland on budget. There were all the facilities we needed. Staff was friendly and helpful and the kitchen was really clean comparing to other backpackers we have stayed in. It was a quiet place to stay with a great location. Just off the Queen Street. If I come back, I will definitely stay nowhere else but here. =)

I had a nice stay; the staff were helpful and approachable, the facilities such as the kitchen and the bathrooms were kept neat and clean. The only problem I found was in a six bedroom dorm there was only two plug sockets. Other than that, I'd definitely stay again. Not only that, but they gave me a free upgrade to a private room the last two nights of my stay, which I was very grateful for.

• 3rd Apr 2014