YHA Auckland City Reviews

Cnr City Road & Liverpool st, 20, Auckland, New Zealand

The hostel was easy to find and the staff were friendly. The kitchen/dining area was really spacious compared to a lot of other places I've been. The towel rental price was only NZ$1 and it was a big towel. Also I like the the showers had a changing area to keep clothes dry. The only down sides were in the room. My bed felt like a waterbed. There was no support and it was hard to get out of. Also there was a heater on in the room but it was so cold. It was warmer in the hallway than in the room.

A very good hostel, the 217th I've stayed at (since 1959), but my first in NZ. Very helpful staff. Improvements could be effected in the following ways: (1) Eliminate the continuous "music" that drones on and on in the dining area (I sometimes took my meal up to the quiet room upstairs); (2) instal lockable lockers in rooms - as is usual in Australia.

* quite difficult to find as there is no obvious signage on Queen Street. * very disappointed that there was no free storage after checkout. I had one hour to kill between checkout and catching a bus and I was looking forward to wandering around town, and just wanted to put my suitcase in the storage room for an hour. the storage room is only for early check-in. there are payable lockers, but that didn't suit me. * i was upgraded to a nicer room and I was extremely grateful for that. :)

• 2nd Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

Nice clean hostel close to bus stop for the airport. Friendly staff and very helpful.

No heating and the complete hostel was f***cold! Even though I got a second blanket, I needed to go to McD or Starbucks to get warm. Nevertheless quite good location (bus stop is near), its clean, has nice and helpful staff, free WiFi for members only ( which actually did not work either). Big kitchen, many showers. For summer ok, for winter No Go!

Cool place to stay, met a lot of chill people, and the staff was extremely helpful! I would recommend it.

Very cold in the whole hostel, no heaters. Had to wear my coat all the time, rooms are moist.

Happy with the nice quiet corner we had.. Would love to see the duvet inners washed more often.! Good stay thanks.

• 30th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

Very nice, clean and comfortable hostel for people who need to stay in Auckland on budget. There were all the facilities we needed. Staff was friendly and helpful and the kitchen was really clean comparing to other backpackers we have stayed in. It was a quiet place to stay with a great location. Just off the Queen Street. If I come back, I will definitely stay nowhere else but here. =)

I had a nice stay; the staff were helpful and approachable, the facilities such as the kitchen and the bathrooms were kept neat and clean. The only problem I found was in a six bedroom dorm there was only two plug sockets. Other than that, I'd definitely stay again. Not only that, but they gave me a free upgrade to a private room the last two nights of my stay, which I was very grateful for.

• 3rd Apr 2014

Kitchen very clean,very big and well equipped...location is pretty good and hostel is quiet and clean.staff is ok.

Clean and quiet place. The common area and kitchen are spacious so is comfortable to prepare yourself a meal. Rooms are comfortable, but not every bed has its own plugs and light. The staff is very helpful and friendly, willing to give you advice. If you plan to travel across New Zeland, maybe is a good thing if you get the YHA Membership, is 40 usd but you get free wifi and 10% discount in future bookings. Maybe that's the only negative thing, WIFI is not free

we weren't allowed to store our bags after checking out which was annoying

• 27th Jan 2014

Good organised YHA with a huge kitchen. There is a bit of a lack of the atmophere. The location is right next to queen street (shopping street in Auckland) and the bus to the airport arrives/depatures around the corner. Nice roof/sun terrace on the 3 floor. Good internet connection for a few kiwi dollars.

I thought the receptionists were very helpful and kind!

• 10th Jan 2014

Hostel is located on the outskirts of town and up a few intimidating hills! Not to be confused with other YHA around the corner! Within walking distance to bus station and major attractions such as Skytower etc.Room was small but comfortable and hostel seems quiet. Breakfast available for a few dollars. Kitchen is big and always clean. Nice staff.

Although not as central as other hostels, the YHA was great value for money and walking up the Queens Street hill gave us some exercise anyway. We had no problems with the staff, who were helpful when needed and greeted us each time we entered. The kitchen here is also huge and well stocked with the usual amenities. Not a place for some who enjoys late night socialising really though.

The doors are very hard to close and noisy. The door next door even sounded very noisy in the night. I could not sleep well.

• 9th Dec 2013
  • China

Clean rooms, plenty of kitchen space, Friendly helpful staff, just a general great atmosphere about the place. Would definitely recommend staying in a YHA

The staff were amazing very helpful and knowledgeable. Stayed here twice now