YHA Auckland City Reviews

Cnr City Road & Liverpool st, 20, Auckland, New Zealand

Cool place to stay, met a lot of chill people, and the staff was extremely helpful! I would recommend it.

Very cold in the whole hostel, no heaters. Had to wear my coat all the time, rooms are moist.

Happy with the nice quiet corner we had.. Would love to see the duvet inners washed more often.! Good stay thanks.

• 30th Jun 2014
  • New Zealand

Very nice, clean and comfortable hostel for people who need to stay in Auckland on budget. There were all the facilities we needed. Staff was friendly and helpful and the kitchen was really clean comparing to other backpackers we have stayed in. It was a quiet place to stay with a great location. Just off the Queen Street. If I come back, I will definitely stay nowhere else but here. =)

I had a nice stay; the staff were helpful and approachable, the facilities such as the kitchen and the bathrooms were kept neat and clean. The only problem I found was in a six bedroom dorm there was only two plug sockets. Other than that, I'd definitely stay again. Not only that, but they gave me a free upgrade to a private room the last two nights of my stay, which I was very grateful for.

• 3rd Apr 2014

Kitchen very clean,very big and well equipped...location is pretty good and hostel is quiet and clean.staff is ok.

we weren't allowed to store our bags after checking out which was annoying

• 27th Jan 2014

Good organised YHA with a huge kitchen. There is a bit of a lack of the atmophere. The location is right next to queen street (shopping street in Auckland) and the bus to the airport arrives/depatures around the corner. Nice roof/sun terrace on the 3 floor. Good internet connection for a few kiwi dollars.

I thought the receptionists were very helpful and kind!

• 10th Jan 2014

Hostel is located on the outskirts of town and up a few intimidating hills! Not to be confused with other YHA around the corner! Within walking distance to bus station and major attractions such as Skytower etc.Room was small but comfortable and hostel seems quiet. Breakfast available for a few dollars. Kitchen is big and always clean. Nice staff.

Although not as central as other hostels, the YHA was great value for money and walking up the Queens Street hill gave us some exercise anyway. We had no problems with the staff, who were helpful when needed and greeted us each time we entered. The kitchen here is also huge and well stocked with the usual amenities. Not a place for some who enjoys late night socialising really though.

The doors are very hard to close and noisy. The door next door even sounded very noisy in the night. I could not sleep well.

• 9th Dec 2013
  • China

Clean rooms, plenty of kitchen space, Friendly helpful staff, just a general great atmosphere about the place. Would definitely recommend staying in a YHA

The staff were amazing very helpful and knowledgeable. Stayed here twice now

Awesome location. Shared kitchen can get quite messy though, more so than with one general kitchen for the whole hostel.

Due to a late night flight, we advised the hostel we'd be checking in around 1am. I was told there were staff available 24/7

• 6th Oct 2013

I thought this hostel was just "ok" until night time rolled around. I'm all for people partying etc but we were on the 2nd floor so quite close to the street and the noise was never ending up until about 5am, which would have been ok if it weren't for the drunks throwing empty bottles and things up at the hostel windows. Did not feel very safe or secure. Other then that was not so bad, although the staff seemed less then knowledgeable and not very enthusiastic to help you out, not the best stay

Worst YHA I've stayed at - 3bd dorm on 2nd floor. Really run down and not enough toilets and only 1 tiny shower on the floor for girls. Ran out of paper towels in bathroom in afternoon and not replaced until 10am despite telling staff. Housekeeping let the place down - bathrooms cleaned once a day so bins overflowing and no toilet paper by evening and they forgot sheets and pillows. Beds uncomfortable. Staff were friendly but not knowledgeable about area. So disappointed - won't be back.

• 4th Oct 2013
  • New Zealand

Not terrible but not good either. Staff were very knowledgeable and helpful and rooms were clean but only two plug sockets for a 4 person room. Lockers had to be paid for which is ridiculous. Not nearly enough toilets or showers for an entire floor of people and the hostel itself is very difficult to find as the City Rd signpost is very easy to miss. Also doors do not lock automatically - only takes one forgetful flatmate to leave your valuables up for grabs. Would not recommend.

I found it to be an efficient, clean & well run with staff who went out of their way to be helpful.

• 25th Sep 2013