YHA Grasmere Butharlyp Howe Reviews

Easedale Road, Grasmere, Lake District, England

Friendly helpful staff, clean dry warm room, good food. What more could one ask for.

• 20th Aug 2014

Such a magnificent building to stay in! The private room was great and the cooking facilities were excellent. We used the dining room one night and enjoyed the meals on the menu.

• 17th Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

The hostel is an absolutely gorgeous converted Victorian mansion sitting on a picturesque hill in Grasmere. The facilities are extensive and you can buy just about anything you need from the front desk. However, the prices are quite high for things like towel rental, laundry soap, etc. If you do not have a bit a car, the hostel can be a bit of a hassle to reach and see the rest of the Lakelands from as the local buses are infrequent and expensive.

The main hostel, gardens and location were excellent. However, self catering visitors were required to use a rather humid and not too fresh smelling kitchen and dining room in an annexe well away from the main building - I feel that self caterers are rather 2nd class citizens here. Would not be pleasant in cold or wet weather. Most hostels I have stayed in have better kitchens and dining rooms; many, very successfully, have shared dining rooms for use by both self catered and catered guests.

Beautiful building. Helpful staff. A little out of Grasmere but amazing view, had a great stay.

Excellent hostel with all the facilities. However location was not as good as YHA windermere. Nevertheless it was still appealing and refreshing. Easy accessible from city town. Friendly staff. Nice communal sitting area. Although study room was closed while we were staying there.

Absolutely beautiful location in the village of Grasmere. Some lovely walks directly from the village. Accommodation is in 2 buildings. We were in the How building where there was an excellent kitchen and eating area. The main building has a very good cafe operating if you don't feel like cooking. The staff were very helpful and friendly. My only disappointment was the lack of free wifi - £1 for 20 minutes is very expensive compared to experiences elsewhere. However otherwise a lovely spot!

What can I say, a really nice place to stay, I found nothing missing... Really liked the fact that I could keep my backpack at the reception after checking out, that was really handy.

Wifi is not free unless you're a member. Location in Grasmere was awesome. Beautiful hostel, definitely easy to get to and get around without a car so backpackers (like we are) will be fine! Facilities were good. Clean hostel. Definitely a family orientated atmosphere so don't expect to meet people if you're younger or travelling alone. The beautiful town and walks are worth it though!!

Having never stayed in a yha before i was pleasantly surprised at the overall experience of my stay....staff where friendly and informative, accommodation clean and tidy...location was excellent and i would definitely rate this accommodation to anyone that wants a budget place to stay, i for one would go back to yha grasmere without a shadow of a doubt.

• 8th Mar 2014
  • Wales

Very impressed by the quality of accommodation and the friendly staff.

• 2nd Feb 2014
  • Scotland
  • Couple, 41+

Had a nice stay! Will definitely come back in summer!

My boyfriend and I were there for Christmas and we had a lovely time! The location is beautiful, the hostel is cosy and very clean and the staff is friendly. Also, we had a very nice Christmas dinner in the hostel!! I will always have good memories of this Christmas! Thanks!! :)

• 23rd Dec 2013
  • Spain

great place, if your young and looking to meet people i found it to be an older crowd not that there is anything wrong with that i still meet and hung out with some awesome people and went on some hikes together.

I think it is a very good hostel.

• 7th Aug 2013
  • China

It's a beautiful old house and perfect as a YHA. Facilities were very good, and the dining room provided good food at a good price. Grasmere was just a few minutes walk, as were the buses to other towns. Walks in the area area were very easily accessible as well.

• 27th Jul 2013

For being a youth hostel there was pretty much only families with young kids staying. So the atmosphere was not quite what I expected. Regardless the location is amazing with many good hiking spots nearby. Internet was very expensive to use and no freezer in the self catering kitchen was a bit annoying. Very friendly young staff

liked hostel & found staff helpful & friendly This was an ideal hostel for us as we had 2 7yr old grandchildren with us & it suited us all. I did feel however that the food was not very good as it had been standing around too long & was rather dry . We would have liked more fresh salads & had we had 3 courses it would not have been good value.

• 22nd Jul 2013
  • Couple, 41+

I got to talk to Michael Lee and Abi during my stay.They are really nice and helpful. I really enjoyed my stay there. Thank you all very much.

• 29th Jun 2013