YHA Grasmere Butharlyp Howe Reviews

Easedale Road, Grasmere, Lake District, England

Wifi is not free unless you're a member. Location in Grasmere was awesome. Beautiful hostel, definitely easy to get to and get around without a car so backpackers (like we are) will be fine! Facilities were good. Clean hostel. Definitely a family orientated atmosphere so don't expect to meet people if you're younger or travelling alone. The beautiful town and walks are worth it though!!

Having never stayed in a yha before i was pleasantly surprised at the overall experience of my stay....staff where friendly and informative, accommodation clean and tidy...location was excellent and i would definitely rate this accommodation to anyone that wants a budget place to stay, i for one would go back to yha grasmere without a shadow of a doubt.

• 8th Mar 2014
  • Wales

Very impressed by the quality of accommodation and the friendly staff.

• 2nd Feb 2014
  • Scotland
  • Couple, 41+

Had a nice stay! Will definitely come back in summer!

My boyfriend and I were there for Christmas and we had a lovely time! The location is beautiful, the hostel is cosy and very clean and the staff is friendly. Also, we had a very nice Christmas dinner in the hostel!! I will always have good memories of this Christmas! Thanks!! :)

• 23rd Dec 2013
  • Spain

great place, if your young and looking to meet people i found it to be an older crowd not that there is anything wrong with that i still meet and hung out with some awesome people and went on some hikes together.

I think it is a very good hostel.

• 7th Aug 2013
  • China

It's a beautiful old house and perfect as a YHA. Facilities were very good, and the dining room provided good food at a good price. Grasmere was just a few minutes walk, as were the buses to other towns. Walks in the area area were very easily accessible as well.

• 27th Jul 2013

For being a youth hostel there was pretty much only families with young kids staying. So the atmosphere was not quite what I expected. Regardless the location is amazing with many good hiking spots nearby. Internet was very expensive to use and no freezer in the self catering kitchen was a bit annoying. Very friendly young staff

liked hostel & found staff helpful & friendly This was an ideal hostel for us as we had 2 7yr old grandchildren with us & it suited us all. I did feel however that the food was not very good as it had been standing around too long & was rather dry . We would have liked more fresh salads & had we had 3 courses it would not have been good value.

• 22nd Jul 2013
  • Couple, 41+

I got to talk to Michael Lee and Abi during my stay.They are really nice and helpful. I really enjoyed my stay there. Thank you all very much.

• 29th Jun 2013

Very good.

• 10th Jun 2013
  • India

Clean, great kitchen, perfect location (so close to beautiful walks/hikes - just ask the staff for maps). Wifi only available for a fee - don't pay! Just go to the cute cafe down the main street. Almost only older visitors (40-60). I shared a room with snoring ladies and slept terribly. Convenient/clean/safe place to stay but do not come for the atmosphere if you're young.

A treasure of a hostel in the small village of Grasmere. A bit difficult to get to and from via public transport, but as a result you really feel away from it all in this quiet hostel. I would definitely recommend buying your own food and using the self-catering kitchen. And take advantage of the location to visit Easedale Tarn and Loughrigg Fell/Caves! Nice staff and beautiful building.

Car parking a bit tight but made up for in all other regards!

Could have an 11am checking out time rather than 10am, nice rooms.

Well,it's a good place for a weekday. Nice location and staff.

watch out for hidden costs, you have to pay for internet, your not allowed to bring any alcohol you have to by it from there bar, no free breakfast, staff say there there available all day nut there never there and you have to search the hostel for them!!!!!

Such a beautiful building and lovely surroundings. Had a wonderful stay, it felt like home. And so cheap!

Couldn't criticise any aspect of my stay. Room was good, food was simple and good value and facilities were all I could ask for. Only slight criticism would be the walk from car park to the hostel which would benefit from some lighting as was quite dark. Not much of an issue for myself but a lady on her own might feel a bit nervous.

• 7th Nov 2012