YHA Manchester Reviews

Potato Wharf, Castlefield, Manchester, England

The hostel is well situated, the staff is friendly and helpful, it's clean, everything is available. The website could do with a bit more information about how to reach the hostel by tram, train or bus if you are coming from other train stations such as Oxford Street or Piccadilly. Dislike: Bathroom was extremely small, with the shower and toilet in the same space, and an enormously noisy fan. No soap to wash hands after the toilet, and forced to buy a lock to lock your luggage.

The staff was very friendly and helpfull, the rooms pretty good, considering the price.

• 30th Mar 2014

Nice location by the canal. The atmosphere was very strange, mainly because there lots local OAPs staying there always in the kitchen and common areas talking about politics, i thought the Y in YHA stood for youth?!

One of the best hostels I have stayed in, great location, great facilities very modern.

Easy to get to. a good sized car park, a great location next to the canals, close to central Manchester, clean, efficient, relaxed but informative staff and a good price for both accommodation and breakfast. In short: a great stay. I'll be back.

• 1st Feb 2014

Good location, nice clean rooms & comfortable beds. Really tidy and helpful staff

• 28th Jan 2014
  • Wales

located near MOSI, need 15 mins walk to the city centre. got free shuttle bus nearby, but never tried. the lobby is spacious and the atmosphere of common area is friendly and welcoming, but the kitchen was a little bit messy. no store room for luggage. needa pay for locker to keep luggage for single use only.

Good facilities but every single activity is paid, even the wifi access. Breakfast is very expensive, I recomment in buying yourself at any market nearby.

one power point in a 4 bed room in this day and age which hostel charges for WI-FI-well this one!

The place is beautiful but it's a bit far away from downtown, coach station and many other important spots. Besides, it's kinda expensive, nothing but tap water is complementary and you can't bring your own drinks inside.

Amazing value for money, many facilities including a restaurant.

Very good place, but internet was not free. We had some good facilities, and the TV room was great.

Keep in mind, you'll have to pay for breakfast and it's not like your provided a lot of options for breakfast. You'll also have to pay between 3-4 pounds to store your luggage. The staff seemed a bit cold too if you ask me. Aside from that, the hostel is pretty nice and the facilities are good.

The hostel staff were incredibly helpful, as we were there for a night out they pointed out where to go on a map which they gave us and even told us somewhere to go in the morning for breakfast!

• 17th Dec 2013

Staffs are very kind. =) Clean rooms and common areas.

Great staff, great atmosphere, great stay

• 14th Dec 2013

Perfect location, really quiet but still very close to fancy streets and to a metrolink interchange station. Helpful staff and nice atmosphere, it's a pretty good pick for backpackers and young folks!

The location of this hostel is truly fantastic, I loved the views of the surrounding canals and railways bridges! The beds were also extremely comfortable. On the down side, they do charge left right and centre for extras such as Wifi, breakfast and suitcase storage. I was frustrated that I had to put a non-returnable £3 into a locker; all other lockers I have come across that take money give you it back. I know that this may seem silly but I felt very much like I was being fleeced!

It was good once I'd found it, which took me about an hour after getting to where I thought it was. I saw a sign pointing to Potato Wharf so I crossed the road and it was nowhere to be found. I found it eventually, more by good luck than judgement. I really did think I was never going to find it!

Fantastic location! Within walking distance of all major tourist attractions and a ton of restaurants. Staff were friendly, kitchen was fantastic! Bathrooms were small, but definitely get your money's worth. I would stay here again next time I visit Manchester :)

• 11th Nov 2013