YHA National Park Backpackers & Climbing Wall Reviews

Finlay Street, P.O.Box 89, Tongariro National Park, New Zealand

The only reason for my stay at this hostel was the location for the tongrariro crossing. However, due to weather it was not possible. For everybody with the same problem I suggest to leave as soon as possible. The hostel is quite expensive and you are charged for everything (movies, wifi). The kitchen lacks the basics like coffee/ tea/ salt/ pepper. I think next time I would try to do the crossing with a shuttle from taupo.

no bathroom on the second floor where all the dorms are? 2 toilets? 3 showers? there must be 60+ beds. TRIPLE story bunk beds? seriously?

I really liked my stay at the hostel, staff is superfriendly and competent, there's a huge kitchen and climbing wall inside the building and a dry room. the only shop in the village is a 1 minute walk away.

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Switzerland

An older building, but with a cool 70s ski lodge charm to it. Everything was clean, tidy and worked. Good communal areas. Walking to the bathroom through the climbing wall in the middle of the night was a novel experience... :)

Very nice hostel, and the staff was really helpful booking our stuff to do the crossing. Our room was off the climbing wall so any noise in that area echoed into it but all the facilities are very nice. Nice big kitchen also.

I enjoyed my 5 day stay here. Mike at the reception was very helpful when planning for hikes and loaning gear. The room was fit for 10 people, so it would've been quite busy if it was full, but with the amount of people we had while I was staying, it was acceptable. What wasn't acceptable though was the internet, you have to pay $5 per day and if there was more than one person using it, it would get so clogged up you couldn't even access google.com. With better internet the place would be perfec

No lockers although room do have locks. Rooms are a little draughty. Beds are narrow and mattress are a bit old. The place is OK for for what you need it for.

View all Tongariro National Park Hostels