YHA National Park Backpackers & Climbing Wall Reviews

Finlay Street, P.O.Box 89, Tongariro National Park, New Zealand

The only reason for my stay at this hostel was the location for the tongrariro crossing. However, due to weather it was not possible. For everybody with the same problem I suggest to leave as soon as possible. The hostel is quite expensive and you are charged for everything (movies, wifi). The kitchen lacks the basics like coffee/ tea/ salt/ pepper. I think next time I would try to do the crossing with a shuttle from taupo.

no bathroom on the second floor where all the dorms are? 2 toilets? 3 showers? there must be 60+ beds. TRIPLE story bunk beds? seriously?

I really liked my stay at the hostel, staff is superfriendly and competent, there's a huge kitchen and climbing wall inside the building and a dry room. the only shop in the village is a 1 minute walk away.

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Switzerland

An older building, but with a cool 70s ski lodge charm to it. Everything was clean, tidy and worked. Good communal areas. Walking to the bathroom through the climbing wall in the middle of the night was a novel experience... :)

Very nice hostel, and the staff was really helpful booking our stuff to do the crossing. Our room was off the climbing wall so any noise in that area echoed into it but all the facilities are very nice. Nice big kitchen also.

I enjoyed my 5 day stay here. Mike at the reception was very helpful when planning for hikes and loaning gear. The room was fit for 10 people, so it would've been quite busy if it was full, but with the amount of people we had while I was staying, it was acceptable. What wasn't acceptable though was the internet, you have to pay $5 per day and if there was more than one person using it, it would get so clogged up you couldn't even access google.com. With better internet the place would be perfec

No lockers although room do have locks. Rooms are a little draughty. Beds are narrow and mattress are a bit old. The place is OK for for what you need it for.

Staff were very helpful and friendly, they made the stay a great experience. Thanks so much.

• 25th May 2014

Overall, great hostel; close to Tongario Crossing, comfortable beds, and big kitchen! You can also rent hiking boots and outdoor wear for a small fee.

Very good, clean hostel. Staff were happy to help with everything. Tongariro Crossing transfer was $30 return, which i think is standard in the town. 8 bed dorm was a good size, plenty of power supplies, and kept clean by staff each day. Internet at $5 a day, although another guy and myself did manage to connect to a free connection in certain parts of the hostel! Good sized and well-equipped kitchen. Well located, close to foursquare supermarket.

excellent service from understaffed workers. Management should pa the workers for the extra work, servive and security they provide.

The staff were short. The young woman who did our room was excellent, thoughtful, and over-worked. When a hostel is a staff member down they work longer and harder. But, this woman always provided the necessaries + advice and time as she saw that we 'needed' it. Do they get the money for the extra work they do, the extra hours they stay up, the extra security they provide, the extra layer of responsibility they provide? No. Not fair...!! She will not protest ... because her job would be ....

Thank you for your comment. Nice to hear that you had a great stay. Re staff: We have 3 girls at the reception, their work shifts are 6 or 7 hours per day, sometimes on a split shift, and just to let you know, they are paid by the hour.

The door to our room couldn't be locked from the outside, so we left our valuables in the car. Not ideal! Apart from that, it's a good hostel. They organise trips to do the Tongariro Crossing, which is very convenient (you can book the evening before and then the bus leaves at 7 am in front of the hostel). The climbing wall is cool, too.

Most of the people stay there for two nights before and after Tongariro crossing, so this is perfect place for that. Not much more to stay, it is clean and comfy, shuttles to the crossing organized. Nice kitchen area.

A great hostel to stay at if you're doing the Alpine Crossing. Good vibe, clean bathrooms and a good kitchen. Doesn't really have much a communal area, but the kitchen acts as kind of the hub of the hostel and there's a pub next door to chill out in after the hike. They also have hiking gear for hire if you've forgotten something.

Generally a good hostel to stay at if you are wanting to do the crossing however the staff let the place down a bit. Soon after paying for our beds we realised we had been overcharged by $18. When we told the manager ( this place is family run) he didn't apologise for his error and acted quite nonchalant about it- definitely not the kind of customer service you want!

I liked it that they organised the drop off and pickup to the Tongariro Crossing. They also give good information about the track. The 2 kitchens are clean. Bathrooms are clean. The downside for me was that there is no free WIFI for YHA members.

Nice place, lovely people. The perfect spot to visit Tongariro nat. Park!

We loved our stay, the staff were very interested in us and helpfull. The location was excellent, fabulous views to the mountain, the giant kiwi and food next door. Will definitly stay there again. Really nice atmosphere, will recommend to friends.

• 21st Dec 2013

At first I have to say that one Lady of the staff, i think she was Megan, was really nice and helped me a lot! Especially she helped me in that stuff, the other members of the staff team failed to do. Because of one of them I nearly would have lost 60$ because of wrong bookings in a trip. The two older ones were really unfriendly. And 20$ for 15km ride withe a shuttle is outrageous. I am sorry for the bad rating, but this had to be said.

• 29th Nov 2013