YHA National Park Backpackers & Climbing Wall Reviews

Finlay Street, P.O.Box 89, Tongariro National Park, New Zealand

Nice rooms, free wifi, but showers were cold

Good place to stay for doing the Tongariro Crossing or for exploring the national park. It was clean and comfortable with nice showers and good kitchen facilities. You had to pay for the wifi, but that's common in NZ hostels. Would recommend.

Not the cleanses but free wifi and good location

Follow blog link below for full review. Not really a lot of services on the small drag where this is located, but the hostel seemed kind of cool. Also a climbing gym. No WiFi and super cold (was there in the winter), but people seemed nice enough. I only stayed overnight, but seemed like an interesting place if you're into climbing. http://www.howdareshe.org/hostel-review-yha-national-park-backpackers/

Very nice place but the staff would like to charge us 5 dollars to use the shower after our stay! (we spent one night and we arrived around 6pm and left the day after at 6am - less than 12 hours). Fair price to the stuffs that they rent to do the crossing

The rooms are great; very cozy & spacious. The rest of the hostel is clean as well. Only complaint is that the mattress was quite thin and fairly uncomfortable for me to sleep on.

Cold rooms poor showers that didn't go very hot! Very clean and good kitchen though

Good place to stay if you are planning on doing the tongariro crossing. There is not a lot to do around as national park village exist just to accommodate hikers. They offer a shuttle bus for $35.

So convenient for the Tongariro Crossing and and all round great hostel.

Excellent base for visiting Tongariro and we appreciated the advice from reception re where to eat and what to do.

Nice and quiet, if a bit pricey. Kitchen was well-equipped and spacious. Beds weren't super comfortable. I was in a loft bed and had to climb over someone to get into my bed. Mike at the front desk was so kind and helpful!!!

Nice place. Nothing too special, but does where it is for.

This place was good for one night. Very simple living quarters and not much to do nearby. There was an overpriced restaurant just next door, and a gas station a little walk down. It was a 20 minute drive down to the trails you can hike, so it probably would have been better to book a place closer to there. The staff was really knowledgeable - we asked him which hike we should do with the time frame we had, and he was great!

The only reason for my stay at this hostel was the location for the tongrariro crossing. However, due to weather it was not possible. For everybody with the same problem I suggest to leave as soon as possible. The hostel is quite expensive and you are charged for everything (movies, wifi). The kitchen lacks the basics like coffee/ tea/ salt/ pepper. I think next time I would try to do the crossing with a shuttle from taupo.

no bathroom on the second floor where all the dorms are? 2 toilets? 3 showers? there must be 60+ beds. TRIPLE story bunk beds? seriously?

I really liked my stay at the hostel, staff is superfriendly and competent, there's a huge kitchen and climbing wall inside the building and a dry room. the only shop in the village is a 1 minute walk away.

• 29th Nov 2014
  • Switzerland

An older building, but with a cool 70s ski lodge charm to it. Everything was clean, tidy and worked. Good communal areas. Walking to the bathroom through the climbing wall in the middle of the night was a novel experience... :)

Very nice hostel, and the staff was really helpful booking our stuff to do the crossing. Our room was off the climbing wall so any noise in that area echoed into it but all the facilities are very nice. Nice big kitchen also.

I enjoyed my 5 day stay here. Mike at the reception was very helpful when planning for hikes and loaning gear. The room was fit for 10 people, so it would've been quite busy if it was full, but with the amount of people we had while I was staying, it was acceptable. What wasn't acceptable though was the internet, you have to pay $5 per day and if there was more than one person using it, it would get so clogged up you couldn't even access google.com. With better internet the place would be perfec

Awesome place. Staff super helpful even when arriving at midnight.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5