YHA Ostello Mergellina Reviews

Salita della Grotta 23, Naples, Italy

The building itself is quite large with lots of space to hang out, it could be a very cool place but the staff seem pretty uninterested in being there and their really just isn't any atmosphere to speak of. There is only one key per dorm which is left at the front desk when you leave and whoever comes back next takes it. The bathrooms are average and always a little unclean. The wifi works fairly well and the location is right by the water and a metro stop but far from the historic centre.

ghetto but all of naples is you really get what you pay for super close to the metro so it was very easy to go to the train station just dont try to go there after dark tons of sketch people but it was good for 1 night stay

• 24th Jul 2015

The shower didn't drain so every time someone would shower the whole bathroom would flood. They didn't have enough keys for our room but said it always stays unlocked which was concerning. Then someone locked the room and I couldn't get in until the staff member finally gave me a spare key they had. Dinner was good though for only 5 euros and it was right behind the train station.

The hostel is in a super ugly location next to Mergellina train station, in a tiny street next to a big tunnel with huge traffic with lots of garbage on the road to the hostel. The building reminds me on 70´s houses that were build in a communist era of eastern Europe. Even though, hostel is clean, with good staff and there is a terrace for evening meetings. There is way too many rooms to feel secure and like at home...Next time I´d rather choose smaller hostel.

Place is located right behind train station which is nice. The place is called "youth" hostel but had a lot of older guests. The lobby is air conditioned, but the rooms aren't. The rooms and toilets smell very badly and it is almost unbearable to handle that smell. No soap in any of the bathrooms, and in general very dirty. The staff is helpful if you ask. Wasn't given a key to my room because they didn't have any more. So that is a security concern.

A wonderful building with inexpensive rates to match loud, 3rd shift construction outside, fireworks at 1:30 a.m. twice, no a.c. or fans and lots of heat. Ideal location otherwise. Ants in twin beds, ants in bathrooms because floors need cleaning more than once a day. Nice people but priorities are strange.

I last minute booked into this place as I needed a place to stay desperately that night. Very basic dorm hostel, not much in the way of atmosphere, although I did meet two great people in the dorms who I went on to travel Napoli and Pompei with. I didn't actually sleep a wink though as there was no air con and with the temperature being in the mid 30s on the night, the window being open was not nearly enough. The location is out of the way and if you don't know Naples well it's a problem.

Frendly and helpful staff, clean and tidy room, cheap but it's far from the centre of city but anyhow I recomend that place.

Nice and clean. Though of hostel staff were rude and unhelpful.

• 7th Jul 2015
  • New Zealand

Best place for a budget location in Naples

YHA was fine for a cheap stay. In a town where there's not much going on, with staff that isn't out of their way helpful, it's a good enough place to rest and be near the city without having to pay much. Oh, and the rooms smell funny.

It smelled really bad from the toilet and there where no sittings places in the room. Really nice staff though!

If you're spending a few days in Napoli YHA Mergellina is definitely your best option. It's affordable and comfy, great standards and excellent wifi. It's very close to a metro/train stop which is very convenient. But I found the old men that were chilling in the living room very odd and they don't really mesh well with the whole "youth hostel" concept. There were also strange men crashing on the couch on two nights that I was staying there. Other than that I found it very nice and agreeable

The staff wasn't very friendly. They had a rule that every time we leave the hostel, we have to return our keys to the front desk. When we got back from dinner/drinks at around 1, there was no one in the lobby and we had to wait. When we rang the bell at the desk, the man eventually came and was extremely annoyed at us when we were just following the rules. The rooms/bath are basic, nothing spectacular. But there isn't an AC so it's EXTREMELY hot. I'm glad we were only there for one night.

I met great people here and the location did feel pretty safe. It was very close to the bay and a train station.

Great view from hostel. Great facilities. A little dirty but whatever. It's little far from down town but the neighborhood is really nice. Lots of very cool people while I was there.

A little hard to find and the area is behind the train station and could be a little sketchy at night. The rooms are clean but only one plug on the whole room for 8 people which is annoying.

The location is right next to the train station which is very convenient. Its a bit of a climb to get to the hostel main lobby which sucks if you have heavy luggage. Staff is friendly, rooms are spacious and prices are great. However, there was a strange, unidentifiable, and potent smell near the bathroom. Also, no AC in the room. Wifi worked great, except it went out a couple times at night.

I was busy travelling around Italy from day one, so I didn't stay long enough to get an impression of the place. But the facilities met with my needs. On my return to the room I had paid for but didn't stay, I was shocked that one of the new room-mate had her clothes and food wrappers on my clean bed, which she didn't remove until I brought it to her attention. This is totally unacceptable and the staff should be reminding people who stay at the hostel to respect other people property.

• 27th May 2015

Sehr zuvorkommende Angestellte, alles im Haus sehr sauber, eine echte Erholung auch fuer die Kinder, denen Neapel oft anstrengend war. Hoffentlich gibt es fuer die Angestellten bald auch normale Arbeitsvertraege. Vielen Dank und viel Glueck.

• 24th May 2015