YHA Oxford Reviews

2a Botley Road, Oxfordshire, OX2 0AB, Oxford, England

This is my first hostel stay. I stayed for two days. YHA is fantastic. In very good location to the city centre and park & ride car park. For the second night I have requested for lower birth and staff immediate arranged for me. Staff are easily approachable, friendly and they are very patient to the new comers. Kitchen, rooms and communal areas are clean and tidy. You can make your own food in the kitchen or coffee etc.

While the staff was not particularly friendly nor helpful, location is very good - right near the train station. They have a great booklet for if you don't know the town, and you'll see tips and faces from the Oxford University everywhere. However, the showers were one of the WORST I've ever seen - whoever built them never tried them! And none of the bedding is done, not very nice when you arrive at 1:30AM... I say it's a bit pricey for what you get.

Comfortable hostel, really near to the train/bus station, but the facilities are so good that you don't hear noises from outside. Cons: They charge you for everything, even wi-fi (which was free in every hostel we stayed). Also, the bathroom had a very good shower, but it doesn't have a extractor fan, so everything inside the bathroom was wet after we took a bath.

The location is excellent and it's very clean, even the bathroom is very nice. Everybody has their own light and cabinet just remember to bring the locker.

we stayed in two different double rooms (on the 26th and on the 28th) and the second one was much better

• 26th Jan 2014

Only one problem in my opinion was no free wifi, I think it is absolutely essential nowadays. But except that we were really satisfied.

• 17th Jan 2014
  • Czech Republic

Hostel has a great location and good value for money if booked in deal. Staff very unhelpful. On arrival they had miss placed our booking + we had to wait half an hour before getting room. We were then told we had to move rooms during our 2 night stay. After removing our bedding next morning and packing we were told 'of course we would be staying in the same room'. We were not allowed new bedding though. Unhelpful on the phone when I queried parking as park and ride was closed from flooding.

• 10th Jan 2014

Many apologies about the confusion with the rooms - as your booking was made for a room with private bathroom one night and a room with shared bathroom on the other, we tried to avoid you having to move and booked you into a en-suite for both nights. Parking and driving into Oxford is usually straight-forward but the city was thrown into chaos by flooding and there was no easy advice to give for driving here. Thankfully flooding to this extent does not happen often.

nice people nice environment here,just beside the train bridge.

Thank you for your great review of Oxford YHA. We hope that we can welcome you back at the hostel on another occasion.

Dorms are spacious and comfortable; several common spaces, also a small library and a well equipped kitchen; wi-fi very fast, but on charge; good location close to rhe railway station. I stayed here very well

A really good stay here. Huge and well equipped rooms and common spaces. Good location close to the railway station and 5 minutes walk to the city center. WiFi very fast but on charge. The only problem are some slow and inadequate drain from showers and WC

Thank you for good review of our hostel and your comments. We'll increase the number of times we clean the shower drains, as this is easily fixed if they're running slow.

It´s stupid that the hotel doesn´t provide free wifi and towels,nobody travels with towels!!! About the wifi is easier to solve. I didn´t like the place ,everything has a price,many offers of toothbrushes etc. It´s a place to sleep, nothing else,and poorly.

Overall I was very pleased with my stay at YHA hostel. The late night staff could've been a little more accommodating and the hall of the third floor smelled odd, but otherwise, the rooms were nice, the bed was comfy, and the showers were small but hot.

• 1st Dec 2013

Was not the best hostel I stayed at and was a little disappointed that they didn't provide towels when booking a private room, I didn't pick the hostel for anything more than a place to sleep the night. Also a little expensive compared to other hostels I've stayed at and next time I'll probably just opt for a cheap hotel room.

The room smelled horrible because the ventilation in the en-suite didn't work, and the bed was very hard. The breakfast had no healthy options (Alpen was the sugary kind), the internet was overpriced and at least 2/6 reading lights in the room didn't work. The best thing about this place was it's location near the train station, but I've been to better looked-after YHAs.

The Hostel is really close to the center, a lot of restaurants and clubs, so that's perfect. The room is ok and also not too expensive. What we didn't like was the bathroom. Very dirty. But the facilities were good and the security as well. We enjoyed our stay.

• 15th Nov 2013
  • Switzerland

Bathroom could be updated a bit - great experience overall.