YHA Rotorua Reviews

1278 Haupapa Street, Rotorua, New Zealand

Loved the hostel, great location, great staff, awesome common area. Wifi was a little iffy (front desk said I needed a cellphone, and couldn't even access it on my tablet?!), but rather than struggle to get it working I discovered I could use Global Gossip from the common room so it wasn't an issue. Would definitely recommend the hostel.

Sheets not in great condition, but facilities all maintained. Big hostel, so difficult to really have a great atmosphere.

Secure central location, overly helpful and knowledgable staff, spotless rooms and bathrooms, with everything you need in the kitchen.

Nice quiet hostel. 24 reception is really handy when your card doesn't want to let u in anymore at nighttime. Best kitchen and very clean facilities.

Good beds and good wash room facilities. Very helpful staff and a good common area/cooking facilities. Decent location with ample parking. (Nearest bar is Lava bar a block away, so stumbling distance ) Would recommendd

Great Facilities, everything is rather new. It is one of the bigger hostels which did not bother us but takes away some the atmosphere.

Loved it and will stay again. Only recommendation is for a plunger coffee pot for my ground coffee I brought with me - great coffee would have made my stay even better.

• 14th Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

Well, I was upgrated to a double bed room, so loved it haha! Big common area, well-furnished kitchen, clean hostel. Recommended.

Like most hostels run by the YHA its size is on the "big" end of scale, the long, dark corridors make it feel somewhat dehumanized. On the plus side it has adequate facilities and nice, professional staff. Oh, the smell or Rotorua in the morning...

Great hostel. A little out of the way, but quiet. No lockers in the rooms and wifi has an extra charge, like all YHAs in NZ, but nice place and very friendly and helpful staff.

Due to this hostels construction (which is essentially a tin shed) you can hear everything, so at 2 am when a group of Americans, who were clearly in a different time zone, decided to start singing it woke up practically everyone in all of the dorm blocks. So if you’re lucky enough to stay there when everyone’s tired and doesn’t want to discuss their life woes at 2am then you’ll probably have a good night’s sleep, otherwise you’ll probably get no sleep. Apart from that the staff were friendly

• 13th Feb 2014
  • New Zealand

This hostel was nice, pretty clean and comfortable. Pretty average as far as everything else, I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. Had some issues on check-in; they wouldn't accept my YHA card or give me the free internet that should have come with it, and made me pack up to change rooms the second day. After waiting all afternoon to check back in, they put me back in the same room, which was annoying.

Quite a big hostel. Massive kitchen which is awesome, and big clean bathrooms. Good location and this hostel has some great discounts on activities in Rotorua. Wasn't great for meeting people but still a good place to stay.