YHA Rotorua Reviews

1278 Haupapa Street, Rotorua, New Zealand

We stayed in a private room although have stayed here before in the dorms as well. Staff were super helpful and the secure bike storage was great and I found the free wife brilliant although my friend was using a USA sim card and could not access it. We had a great time away and would stay again.

Good location, clean rooms and friendly, helpful staff with great local knowledge. We were in a double room which was very hot and with only one window we couldn't get a draft to cool it down, that's the only negative though.

Great location with really good facilities and parking. Very comfortable though room needed to be a little bigger for real comfort and showere room was difficult to operate in with the door closed.

• 24th Nov 2014

Really happy with our stay here. However, our room was uncomfortably hot and we had no access to fans. Our window was at the entry of the hostel so if we opened it or drew back the curtins everyone that walked in or out would see us sleeping. Other than that, great location, great staff and an awesome kitchen!

A good hostel, not much of communal athmosphere though. Rooms and other facilities were clean. The only thing that I miss, however this applies to a lot of hostels on NZ, is a free locker in the room for valuables.

Even though I only stayed for 1 night, it was great! The staff were friendly & helpful with what to do & where to go. I personally didn't spend much free time there but the rooms were clean & tidy, with good facilities. The only down-side is the walls are quiet thin so you can hear bait of noise between rooms, but again it didn't bother me too much... Thanks guys!

Loved the hostel, great location, great staff, awesome common area. Wifi was a little iffy (front desk said I needed a cellphone, and couldn't even access it on my tablet?!), but rather than struggle to get it working I discovered I could use Global Gossip from the common room so it wasn't an issue. Would definitely recommend the hostel.

Sheets not in great condition, but facilities all maintained. Big hostel, so difficult to really have a great atmosphere.

Secure central location, overly helpful and knowledgable staff, spotless rooms and bathrooms, with everything you need in the kitchen.

Nice quiet hostel. 24 reception is really handy when your card doesn't want to let u in anymore at nighttime. Best kitchen and very clean facilities.

Good beds and good wash room facilities. Very helpful staff and a good common area/cooking facilities. Decent location with ample parking. (Nearest bar is Lava bar a block away, so stumbling distance ) Would recommendd

Great Facilities, everything is rather new. It is one of the bigger hostels which did not bother us but takes away some the atmosphere.

Loved it and will stay again. Only recommendation is for a plunger coffee pot for my ground coffee I brought with me - great coffee would have made my stay even better.

• 14th Mar 2014
  • New Zealand

Well, I was upgrated to a double bed room, so loved it haha! Big common area, well-furnished kitchen, clean hostel. Recommended.

Like most hostels run by the YHA its size is on the "big" end of scale, the long, dark corridors make it feel somewhat dehumanized. On the plus side it has adequate facilities and nice, professional staff. Oh, the smell or Rotorua in the morning...

Great hostel. A little out of the way, but quiet. No lockers in the rooms and wifi has an extra charge, like all YHAs in NZ, but nice place and very friendly and helpful staff.

Due to this hostels construction (which is essentially a tin shed) you can hear everything, so at 2 am when a group of Americans, who were clearly in a different time zone, decided to start singing it woke up practically everyone in all of the dorm blocks. So if you’re lucky enough to stay there when everyone’s tired and doesn’t want to discuss their life woes at 2am then you’ll probably have a good night’s sleep, otherwise you’ll probably get no sleep. Apart from that the staff were friendly

• 13th Feb 2014
  • New Zealand

This hostel was nice, pretty clean and comfortable. Pretty average as far as everything else, I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it. Had some issues on check-in; they wouldn't accept my YHA card or give me the free internet that should have come with it, and made me pack up to change rooms the second day. After waiting all afternoon to check back in, they put me back in the same room, which was annoying.

Quite a big hostel. Massive kitchen which is awesome, and big clean bathrooms. Good location and this hostel has some great discounts on activities in Rotorua. Wasn't great for meeting people but still a good place to stay.

i like this hostel.