YHA Taupo - Finlay Jacks Backpackers Reviews

20 Taniwha Street, Taupo, Taupo, New Zealand

Good hostel, nice facilities, wifi is good even though hard to connect to sometimes. Rooms are clean, but the mattresses not really comfy and the beds really squeeze. Convenient location, and very welcoming and helpful staff!

Rented a private room, way nicer than what we expected, more like a motel. Good value for what you pay, only thing I didn't like was that wifi only worked when you stood outside on the grass in the centre of the building, once more people came back to the hostel you then had trouble connecting. Other than that, it was great.

Nice place to stay. Has a pretty central location, so easy to get around Taupo. Toilets attached to most rooms, which is nice. Not enough power points in the larger dorms, though. Friendly staff and well-stocked, open kicthen.

WiFi was very difficult to connect to and would kickick you off occasionally after you got on. Beds were clean and comfortable though.

Findlays was in a good location in the heart of Taupo. Our private bedroom had a shared bathroom with a form of about 4 people so it sometimes was difficult to get time in the bathroom. The security wasn't that good though. At one point, I think we had a couple random homeless people walking through the kitchen area, as it's completely accessible to the public. Findlay was great and set us up on a nice skydive adventure! We would definitely stay here again.

noisy at night, walls are paper thin and rooms have a great echo that carrys.. I think having sofas on the landing outside the bedroom doors is not a good idea because people gather there at night and keep those who want to sleep awake. There is no parking near the building. It is a few blocks away and info given was inaccurate and misleading.

My friend and I just stayed for one night at Finlay Jacks but I wish we stayed longer to enjoy all the facilities - garden, cool TV room, big kitchen with balcony. We had so much space for all our stuff in our 8 bed dormitory, and really enjoyed having a real bathroom - that felt like home. I recommend it to anyone and will definitely come back!

• 23rd Nov 2015

The guys at the desk were so helpful and great source of information. No bunk beds, nice to sleep in a regular bed. Bed was very comfortable and very warm.

I loved my stay at Finlay Jacks! It's a great hostel. The staff is very cool and helps you to book/find activities around Taupo. It was also the fist time that I had a own bathroom for every dorm. And the green area between the dorms is perfect for relaxing and enjoying a evening with friends!

Lockers in the Room would be good

A lovely hostel that I would definitely stay in again. Very comfy beds (with actual duvets! Not thin blankets). Friendly staff and a clean kitchen. And the free wifi is a nice bonus (though it didn't reach into our room, we had to use it in the common areas)

Good location, great views in the morning. 10 minute walk to the lake, 15 minute walk to hot springs, 2 minute walk to supermarket. Staff are friendly and interactive. Kitchen is small for the amount of people cooking. Maybe organize group dinners and everyone can cook together. Something simple like a spag bol.

I did enjoy my stay there. I met a lot of nice people and the atmosphere was great. The stuff was really friendly. Unfortunately the kitchen was a bit dirty and sticky. A great plus: there are rooms without bunkbeds and every room has its own bathroom. Also free WiFi.

I stayed in a female dorm where one of the staff members was going on with a guest, not only once! That's a total no go! No security at all as the sliding doors are always open and no one locks them, we had a guy getting in our room one night looking for s.o.. The kitchen is alright, can be dirty in the morning if people were drinking the night before. Wifi wasn't working, I couldn't connect at all. No communal room, only tiny TV area. Only one washing machine in a messy room. Wouldn't recommend

I enjoyed my time at this hostel. Staff were friendly and helpful and good atmosphere in the hostel generally with people chatting etc. Nice decent sized kitchen and generally good facilities. Would stay here again for sure.

awesome place to stay!