YHA Tunis Auberge Medina Reviews

25 rue Saida Ajoula, Tunis, Tunis, Tunisia

Absolutely beautiful hostel.

The location is fine, the problem is that the area is - according to the owner - unsafe after 18.00 and you should not go outside after 18.00. You can't find a taxi in the medina, so that's a problem if you want to go out for diner or a drink.

I've rated cleanliness & facilities as poor not because they're not cleaned but because the plumbing needs fixing up - I got no hot water and, more importantly, there is a terrible smell of stale water. It's a beautiful, amazing place otherwise so please fix the plumbing smell & it will be fabulous! Oh and give your caretaker his own bedroom - there was someone sleeping on the sofa outside my room (open above the door - so a bit off-putting when I'd booked a private room!)

• 24th Oct 2014

I do not know where Hostel World found a swimming pool and the air conditionning in YHA Tunnis hostel? Furthermore, the wifi doesn't work properly according to the room you have booked. The WC and bathrooms are not that cleaned, really old, and you can't find any toilet paper and hot water during the summer (even on October!). Amazing! I was waiting for some activities or a bar, but alchool is forbidden. I have to say that employees are really sweet but I won't come back in the hostel for sure!

I would only recommend this hostel if you're really into hostelling. If you're only trying to save some money then just find a cheap a hotel. It's located right in the middle of the medina, perfect for sightseeing but risky at night and hard to find. The beds are comfy and the air-con works. The wash facilities and the wi-fi are not good and there are some strange surcharges for using them. The staff are friendly but mostly anonymous. There are no maps or guides or advice. The price is great.

The place stunk and was dirty. On two of the days I stayed they left one member of staff working by himself who spoke nothing but Arabic & was unable to communicate with any of the guests, who were all European. The one member of staff I was able to communicate with properly was unable to give me any information about the local area, leaving me to spend half my trip searching for basic facilities. Despite charging a daily fee for the wifi it barely worked.

• 13th Sep 2014

The hostel is located in the heart of the medina which can be a bit difficult to find when you arrive, but that is not the hostel's fault. There is not always a reception service so I was left waiting when I arrived, as no one could confirm my booking! Despite this, the staff were quite friendly and helpfull. The owner is the only staff member i met who had a good standard of english. The bathroom and shower facilities were basic and there was a smell from them, but that can be expected.

Polite staff, friendly and approachable. Excellent and fast WIFI. Cleanliness was adequate, location was good, Hot showers would top off the place perfectly if it where made available.