YHA Tunis Auberge Medina Reviews

25 rue Saida Ajoula, Tunis, Tunis, Tunisia

I would only recommend this hostel if you're really into hostelling. If you're only trying to save some money then just find a cheap a hotel. It's located right in the middle of the medina, perfect for sightseeing but risky at night and hard to find. The beds are comfy and the air-con works. The wash facilities and the wi-fi are not good and there are some strange surcharges for using them. The staff are friendly but mostly anonymous. There are no maps or guides or advice. The price is great.

The place stunk and was dirty. On two of the days I stayed they left one member of staff working by himself who spoke nothing but Arabic & was unable to communicate with any of the guests, who were all European. The one member of staff I was able to communicate with properly was unable to give me any information about the local area, leaving me to spend half my trip searching for basic facilities. Despite charging a daily fee for the wifi it barely worked.

• 13th Sep 2014

The hostel is located in the heart of the medina which can be a bit difficult to find when you arrive, but that is not the hostel's fault. There is not always a reception service so I was left waiting when I arrived, as no one could confirm my booking! Despite this, the staff were quite friendly and helpfull. The owner is the only staff member i met who had a good standard of english. The bathroom and shower facilities were basic and there was a smell from them, but that can be expected.

Polite staff, friendly and approachable. Excellent and fast WIFI. Cleanliness was adequate, location was good, Hot showers would top off the place perfectly if it where made available.

Very friendly staff.

I arrived at the said hotel to be told that my travel mate was not allowed to stay. the reason being given was that he was tunisian and he was not welcome. after a lengthy conversation we were issued a room with 2 single beds. I didnt say anything although i had paid for a 4 bed bedroom and paid the 4 bedroom price. We decided then to go have dinner in the hotel. the manager appeared at the table after a bit and said my friend wasnt welcome as he was a security risk and he suggested we were t

Staff is very nice although the place doesn't have hot showers. The internet is pretty good and the medina is relatively safe during daylight hours.

• 9th May 2014

1) Toilette in the first floor really disgusting. Nobody went to clean it. The housekeeper, instead to clean, she was sleeping in the kitchen. 2) shower, with cold water (it can pass), but NO way about the igenic conditions. (in cambodia, where the lifestyle can be compared with Tunisia, you pay 5USD with great breakfast, amazing rooms, clean, and aircondition), in this hostel you paid a lot of money 3) i slept in a place where the housekeeper didn't change the sheets or pillow cover and nobo

• 2nd May 2014

The rooms need to be cleaned more often. The toilets need to be cleaned in a daily basis. The showers should work. I think its out of the question to pay and not be able to have a proper bath.

First the good things, really friendly and helpful lady in the morning shift. The place has a cool atmosphere, the building itself is a gem. However, because of this it is also quite crumbly and could do with a touch of paint. The showers did not have hot water and the toilets had a strange smell. The hostel itself is in the middle of a souk, which is cool but gets quite dark after 8pm. I did not experience any hassle personally but I dont think risking it is a good idea.