YHA Wanaka Purple Cow Reviews

94 Brownston Street, Wanaka, Wanaka, New Zealand

Nice ambience and location is convenient for buying food and next to lakeside

Wicked place

• 25th Mar 2014

One of the best hostels in NZ - immaculately clean, ensuite with good shower pressure and hot water, really helpful and friendly staff and the most amazing kitchen - even got bread maker, coffee grinder! Oh and don't forget the superb view of lake wanaka from the eating area. A must stay in wanaka!!

Purple cow seems huge at first but we got one of the cottage rooms at the back. A well equipped kitchen, a (smallish) bathroom and a dinning area shared between just two rooms - excellent! Staff was friendly and helpful, too. Overall a very nice place to stay.

The view of the lake from the common room is awesome. Big TV room, huge, extra clean kitchen, every room has it's own bathroom. Friendly staff (especially Jane. She's a sweetheart). Really enjoyed my stay here, would return.

I've stayed at this hostel 3 times now, mainly because the view is just amazing. The facilities are great - lots of seating areas and I really like the quiet reading room with floor length windows to the lake. The kitchen is usually very clean and there is loads of storage & fridge space. Pretty much the kitchen all the other hostels wish they had! Lots of board games and a reasonable book swap. YHA members get unlimited wifi: brilliant!

Nice hostel in good location (wannabe is pretty tiny so it would be hard to be far away)! Room had no window only a ceiling light panel you could open but there was no breeze so pretty stuffy. Clean and spacious enough, lovely kitchen and lots of room to sit and eat/drink! They play a movie every night but the hostel choose which isn't always great :(

Great location, some of the dorms were little separate chalets which gave it a cosy feel. Overall a good hostel.

More family orientated, not for those wanting to meet people.

We spent 3 nights at purple cow in between some multi-day tramping, and really enjoyed our stay. The huge well stocked kitchen and dining/common area with views of the lake and mountain were particularly impressive. Just a shame that YHAs continue to charge extra for wifi, when many others offer it as included.

I liked the hostel very much, a little home away from home.

Great hostel, highlight being the excellent kitchen and amazing view of the lake from the lounge area.

I was only there for one night, but it was the best hostel I had been to, great atmosphere, clean and neat, and great location.

One of our favourite places from our months travelling. Great location in a beautiful town, minutes walk from the lake. Very romantic spot, and a great price! Facilities were impressive, kitchen was very big and spotless even late at night. Would highly recommend for anyone staying in Wanaka.

The kitchen is spotless! Only few hostel can proud themselves with such a clean and well-equipped kitchen.

one of the best hostels I've stayed at in NZ!

The best place I've ever stayed.

Excellent kitchen, best I have seen in a hostel. Small rooms though!

A good all round place. Just needed lockers for bags and free breakfast to be really good.

Fantastic place, great view from common room on the lake, Sean at the reception super nice and cheerful, nice people to chat to, peaceful and quiet, cleanest kitchen I saw in whole NZ so far. Made to my top list of best hostels ever. :)