YHA Wellington City Reviews

292 Wakefield St, (Cnr Cambridge Tce), Wellington, New Zealand

YHA has some better hostels (Rotorua was my favorite). This is a good hostel but because of how massive it is, it doesn't have the same feel as a smaller hostel. Decent cooking facilities and the rooms are basic. I'd go somewhere more personable next time so I could meet more people.

i thought that the kitchen smelled like a petting zoo, and there was hardly any room for my food in their fridge. i did however think the beds were comfy and the laundry was really cheap (NZD5.00) which is always a plus. probably won't be staying at the yha again and not sure if i will want to try out any of the other yha's

The YHA was clean and well taken care of. My room faced another buildinf and you could hear the sounds of an annoying industrial fan coming from next door pretty loudly. It seemed like most people staying there were over the age of 50 and tons of kids on field trips. I didn't meet anyone cool to hang out with so that was a bummer but the hostel itself is in a good area and fine if you need a place to crash.

Clean, super convenient location, free WiFi, good facilities. I'd recommend this place to any backpacker visiting Wellington.

By far the best hostel I've ever stayed in, and I've been to a lot! Quiet, clean, very friendly and helpful staff, great location and facilities... I highly recommend YHA to anybody traveling through Wellington!

YHA was good for a weekend stay but I wouldn't have liked to stay much longer. The shower was pretty bad, switched from warm to cold throughout a 5 minute shower, never got hot. When they say check out is 10am, they mean it. No 5-10 minute grace period.

• 24th Oct 2014

great hostel with good facilities and friendly staff

Considering I booked a "mixed" dorm by mistake & ended up with a male who truly snored all night no matter how many times I woke him up!!!!! Certainly not your fault, I have stayed there before & will certainly be back. Thanks for your help. Cheers Biddy

I had a very pleasant stay and was impressed with the attention to the little things that made my stay more enjoyable.

• 18th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

Great hostel. There is a supermarket just in front of it which is very convenient. It is close to the museums and the waterfront.

Only one night here but it was a good place to stay to explore Queen street, the waterfront, and the sky tower. Easy to meet people in the dining area. Early morning flight was easy bc staff was available 24hours to call taxi. Only 25min ride to airport at 430am. Very cold in the room due to no heat and bathrooms are often crowded due to few facilities compared to number of rooms. Wifi barely worked in my room so I used it in dining area. Overall, fine place to stay.

Very comfortable bed and great location , just is not too convenience for car parking however... Is really a nice place to stay ... :)

• 14th Aug 2014
  • Malaysia

Excellent hostel, onwe of the best of the 218 YHAs I've stayed at (since 1959).. Helpful staff. Quieter than some other hostels.

No atmosphere. It's like a big hotel but cheaper. Very clean and nice bedrooms, but too dear for what it is.

Good: Awesome location. It has everything you need and the kitchen was a good size. Bathrooms and showers were amazingly clean. Staff were very nice and helpful. Nice to have hair dryer and straighteners in bathrooms. Bad: Beds and pillows were so flat and felt like sleeping on rock, very hard to get a good nights sleep when you can't get comfortable and they squeaked constantly. Decor etc very tired and it needs a serious redecoration. Loud at night from ppl drinking in common areas.

A perfectly located and very well run hostel that was perfect for my 3 night stay in Wellington

• 25th Jul 2014

There is very friendly hostel in capital,have a large and clean kitchen ,hot shower available all day important is near the te papa museum and Cuba street It's located in good estate!

One of my favourite hostels. Not too noisy and super clean. Best facilities in the kitchen.

• 22nd Jul 2014

Big YHA, with a not so good location. But the facilities were great (two kitchens, big bathrooms, nice common room). But overall just like any other YHA. Stay in a local, small hostel if you wanna feel at home

Good hostel for a short stay, but wouldn't recomand for a longer stay, as it was a bit boring. The facilities are good though and the staff is friendly