YHA Wellington City Reviews

292 Wakefield St, (Cnr Cambridge Tce), Wellington, New Zealand

good clean rooms. lost of space and different areas tv longe, reading room, games room etc. no lockable cupboards in room. perhaps there are some downstairs i didn't see. not a big problem but good to have

All floors have wireless and even computer in laundry room. Hidden under bottom shelf in 4 person rooms with bathroom in the lockers are double plugs for your IPhone and laptop which you can leave on charge and locked up at night without having to have chargers hanging all over the place. They are hard to find on bottom lockers so have a good look. Loved location in theatre district and Gay area, arts and so on, good restaurants all around.

every staff is excellent.

I thought it was a nice hostel with great facilities. Two kitchens, large tv room, games room and reading room. Thought it was a little overpriced though. I was encouraged by the lady on reception to become a member of YHA hostels as you get free wifi. Unfortunately, the lady failed to mention that you get free wifi in PARTICIPATING hostels!! Moved off to my next YHA destination where , unfortunately, they didn't participate and I was back to paying for Wifi again! False advertising..WRONG!

• 17th Jan 2014

Great Hostel!

Really friendly and helpful staff, cafe in the lobby for the early mornings which was great. Slightly lacking in atmosphere as it's a big building like a college dormitory, but still a great place to stay.

Big hostel with friendly helpful staff. Great kitchen facilities and gamesroom. Serves coffee and bagels in the morning. Central location. Across the road from Te Papa museum.Would stay here again.

excellent hostel! Great facilities, spacious and comfortable. The only drawback is the location which is on the corner of two main roads so a lot of road noise at night.

The printer in the public Internet zone were not connected to the desktop computers. However, staff printed my urgently needed document downstairs.

• 1st Jan 2014
  • Switzerland

The beddorm was way to hot, they should invest on a proper air conditioning. I precise that outside wasn't particularly warm. The location is great though, but came at 5.30 am the hostel was closed till 7am, would be nice to have a service for early check in, at least a possibility to leave our bag somewhere until open doors.

Some of the front desk staff were very rude when I arrived, there was no formal greeting like "Hello, how may I help you? " instead one of the ladies at the front desk simply gave me an annoyed look and said "Yes?" Then she didnt want me to check in right away despite the fact that I was exhausted from my flight. Eventually when I checked in to my single private room I found out that it was a double private room. The shower heads are broken and door locks as well in the shared bathrooms.

• 15th Dec 2013
  • Russia

Stayed for a week in an 8-bed dorm. Location is excellent, right next to all the pubs and cafes in Courtney Place, and a supermarket is right across the street. Dorms were very spacious. Staff very helpful. Good atmosphere for a big hostel, thankfully everyone in my room was pretty talkative. Having two staircases as well as the lift was great for someone who hates waiting for the lift. Only downsides were only having one small bathroom per floor, and charging $5 per day for wifi.

I found everything except the cost to be excellent. The price for a single room without a bathroom was fairly exorbitant given the spartan room.

Just passing through Wellington - arrived in the evening, left on the early ferry, so didn't really get to know the place.

This hostel was just awesome! The rooms were all clean, it had a huge kitchen and community area and even a tv room and games room (with a pool table and various games). It is located close by to the harbour and the Te Papa museum and all the places to go out are also in the area! Really enjoyed my stay there!

• 15th Nov 2013

Huge hostel and therefore a bit anonymous but very clean kitchens, a decent dorm room and a supermarket next door.

Friendly staff. Great location. We spent 2 nights in a mixed 6 bed dorm, had no problems.

Centrally located high-turnover hostel catering for singles, couples and large groups but still a top-notch hostelling experience. Good cooking facilities , generous dorm space, excellent lounges, internet facilities and helpful staff. Ideal for a 2-3 day layover in Wellington. Helpful early morning shuttle to the InterIslander ferry terminal.

Huge hostel and as such a little impersonal, but big clean rooms, lots of communal space and great location!

Great location, great kitchen. I don't know why everyone is complaining about the kitchen being dirty, during my week stay everyone cleaned up after themselves and the kitchen was in a great state.