YHA York Reviews

Water End, Clifton, North Yorkshire, York, England

Please could you liase with each other as to what deposit I paid, because I think I paid too much. The reception didn't know how much I had paid to hostelworld. Please can I have a refund of overpayment. Thank you. The left hand should know what the right hand is doing. Thank you.

• 30th Oct 2014

Location (address) bad, it far of the city zone. Wi-fi and breakfast not free. Staff not able to do enough attention to the costumers.

We received the best service of any place we have stayed so far on our holiday - the only exception being one extremely rude staff member serving breakfast on the 28th. Special mention should go to Andrew who was enthusiastic, polite, and extremely hard working. Both Andrew and his colleagues on the evening of 27th and 28th maintained good humour and professionalism in the face of some appallingly rude people (mostly the "grown up" members of the young families that were present)

Best hostel we've ever stayed at. Amazingly clean bathrooms and rooms. Fully equipped kitchen and lockers in the rooms. 10 minute riverside walk into the city centre. Peaceful atmosphere and lovely surroundings. Upon arrival Andrew at the desk gave us our own room instead of putting us into the dorm we booked for no reason other than to be nice, lovely welcome surprise! Only downside is wifi is not free for non-YHA members. But we joined up for £7.50 so that was fine in the end anyway!

Lovely lovely people, so much fun to stay and meet people from all over the world!! It's located a bit far out from the center of York, which is okay if you don't mind a walk, but that was a bit annoying. Other than that, this place is brilliant, I would highly highly recommend!!

• 22nd Oct 2014

It woild be great if wi-fi is included and free next time!

• 20th Oct 2014

The hostel is very clean.The staffs are very helpful. It 's quiet far from York station. You should pay attention to the bus schedule because it may be no bus to return hostel after 20:00 on Mon-Sat. It will be earlier on Sunday. You need to walk about 30 mins to hostel if the bus is out of service. Actually you can go by taxi but it's very expensive.

I crashed here for the night before a marathon. The place is clean and secure, staff are friendly and helpful. It's a nice stroll along the river to get back into town which is a bonus in my opinion. It's a nice place and I can have no complaints

Excellent, clean facilities. Self catered kitchen was well stocked with equipment and clean, each bunk had it's own light and plug. Only downside was that there were a lot of little expenses (breakfast was 5 pounds, internet 1 pound/20 mins) and the location which is about 15-20min walk from the city centre. There is a bus that stops outside the hostel that you can use.

The staff was very friendly. The place is really nice.

Nice hostel in a quiet area, nice environment at a reasonable walking distance from the city center. But for such a nice facilities they have, they shouldn't be changing for the WiFi!! (come on, no one does that this days!)

A great place, even it is a ways from the central part of the city. Very clean, great common rooms with people hanging out, good facilities, outlets on each bunk bed. Locks on doors and lockers provided. You do have to pay for WIFI if you are not a YHA member.

The hostel is located 30 minutes walk from central york. WiFi was not complimentory! 5 pounds for a day. breakfast portion is so tiny, however dinner is pretty good.

Youth hostel? Well, it's not very youth-friendly (unless you're talking about school kids...). It's very clean and tidy, but has no atmosphere, no where to socialise (very important for solo travelers like me), no kitchen to cook in, and the Wifi is not free... Oh, and the breakfast is not good value, considering I paid $10 for it. If you are a backpacker, find somewhere else to stay, and leave this one for the school trips.