YHA York

Fabulous 852 Total Reviews

• China, Female, 25-30
29th Jul 2017
5.7

The lady went to bed at 9pm but was mad at me unpacking since I just arrived at 9:30pm. The receptionist only asked if I needed breakfast without providing details and price and charged me with my rent. I was unaware of that. But when I asked whether I can cancel it, she refused and explained that you would not be hungry.....

Thank you for your feedback. At YHA York we always try to deliver the best customer service possible, and we apologise that our usual high standards were not met in this instance. If you would like to contact the hostel further regarding these issues please do not hesitate to get in touch, we are always happy to help. We hope that the rest of your stay was not impacted too severely by these problems, and you enjoyed your overall visit to York. Robyn Benedikz - Activities Manager

25th Jul 2017

No wifi in rooms. Quite a few thinks out of order like the pool table and vending machines, but biggest disappointment was the breakfast. Not a buffet style breakfast, but more like a school canteen where you're served by someone (portion control). All 3 of my kids rejected the cooked food as it really wasn't nice at all.

Thank you for your feedback. We apologise for the out of order facilities during your stay. These have since been repaired and are in full working order.We are sorry that you did not enjoy the breakfast. We always aim to provide our guests with good quality food, and it is disappointing to hear that this standard was not met on this occasion. We hope that these issues did not impact your stay too much, and that you enjoyed your stay at YHA York overall. Jessica Smedley- Reception Manager

• England, Female, 41+
16th Jul 2017

I haven't stayed in a yha for years and I thought I would feel out of place. I used it as an overnight stop on a road trip to Scotland, my are late teens early 20s. The hostel is perfect for walking into York . The family room was just right, shower terrific and breakfast good value. Plenty of room in the fridge for our cool bag. The mix of travellers at the hotel meant that I needu not have worried about being an old lady. Will gladly use the YHA again!

Thank you for your review of YHA York. We're so glad you enjoyed your stay with us, and look forward to welcoming you again in the future! Hannah Cutts Team Leader

27th Jun 2017

No real complaints about this hostel, it was very clean, the staff were incredible helpful, lots of facilities, the beds were good and the wifi was good as well. I wish the kitchen had been open longer for lunch and dinner but other than that it was excellent!

Thank you for the review - it's great to hear you enjoyed the facilities. We hope to see you again soon, Many thanks, Michael Slavin, Catering Manager

• Australia, Female, 41+
25th Jun 2017

Can not give this hostel a high enough rating. The best value for money, friendly staff, fantastic facilities.

What a great review - I'll pass your comments onto the team, Many thanks, Michael Slavin, Catering Manager

• goodcommonscents
  • USA, Female, 41+
2nd Jun 2017

Nice facility located close to the river and town. My only 'complaint' is it would be nice to have wifi in the rooms and better posting of restaurant hours would be great. We tried to get something to eat on a friday night but were told the kitchen had closed at 9pm. When we tried again on Saturday, the kitchen had closed at 830p. :-( Lots of advertising for grat food from the kitchen but nothing to indicate hours of operation. On Saturday, there were a lot of folks coming back from town...

Thank you for the review. Our kitchen is open from 12-8.30 Sunday to Thursday and 12-9 Friday and Saturday. We hope to see you again in the future, when hopefully you'll have chance to eat with us! Michael Slavin, Catering Manager

• USA, Female, 41+
30th May 2017

Staff allowed a large group (2 groups?) of school children (12 - 13 year-olds?) to run rampant throughout the building until 10 or so at night. They apparently felt helpless to do anything to modify the wild behavior of the children, including not speaking to the chaperones of the children. When I finally spoke to the teachers, they seemed completely unaware of the fact that the children's behavior was inappropriate and disturbing to others staying at the hostel.

Thank you for the review. As a youth hostel, we frequently have groups of school children staying with us and often host events for them. While they may occasionally overstep the mark, both our team and group chaperones ensure they do not affect our other guests late into the evening. I'm glad to see that you otherwise enjoyed your stay with us. Michael Slavin, Catering Manager

• England, Male, 31-40
26th May 2017

A calm and slick set up, as I booked whilst on the train but made an error for check in time. This was no problem as they had a bed for me which was the most important thing to me. Check in took seconds and was asleep in minutes. However, I did loose a pair of socks to a careless roommate who must have taken them in what can only be described as error!!

Thank you for the review. I'm sorry to hear about your socks, but delighted you enjoyed your time with us otherwise! Michael Slavin, Catering Manager

24th Apr 2017

This is a very large YHA - and top of the line. Staff are friendly. Everything was modern and clean. I stayed in a shared bedroom (4 beds) and we had a toilet and a shower ensuite (in addition to those in the hallway). Recommend.

Thank you for the great review. We hope to see you again soon! Michael Slavin, Catering Manager

21st Apr 2017

The place is good and well maintained. Some options for entertainment, though the internet is very weak in the rooms. It's a bit far from the city center, but not a problem if you like to walk. The staff is attentions and helpful.

Thank you for the review. Michael Slavin, Catering Manager