YMCA Christchurch Reviews

12 Hereford Street Christchurch 8011, P O Box 2004 Christchurch 8140, Christchurch, New Zealand

Nice hostel to say. Because it's so big atmosphere is a little bit off. For the rest very clean, helpfull staff, a lot activities in and around christchurch. And a good exhibition about street art until may 15

Nice spacious dorms. Lots of facilities.

Close to the bus stop and a great place to have a solid night's sleep before flying home early the next day.

Room was basic but well equipped. Couldn't get tge heater to work. Staff very helpful. Nice location, tho a bit far from CBD. Very handy having two cafes on hand. Hated bathroom arrangement, having toilet, handasin and shower in one a rea is insane. Floor of shower base was stainless sreel and very slippery.

Good location. Close to buses in and out of the city. Unfortunately the kitchen is too small at times for all the people who want to cook - can be quite messy.

Great location, lovely staff and really nice rooms!

When I was there the place was rammed full there was an extra bed thrown in my 6 person dorm which to be fair wasn't an issue. The bunks are pretty old and squeaky and I was always concerned I was waking people up when getting out of bed to go the toilet. There was a bit of a lack in plug sockets in the room as well. The kitchen was tiny but hey if you have to use it to cook you make friends quickly!

Excellent hostel. Very well maintained. Lovely stay

Need new kitchen stoves

There is no locker in 10 beds female dorms. Wireless costs 5 dollar for 24 hours.

the free towel is a nice touch!

There were only 4 lockers, which no keys for a 6 bed room, so nearly no security. One small kitchen for a hostel with 5 floors is not enough. The stuff was very friendly and helpful and the restaurant in the hostel is good.

Turned up at the hostel at 1am, with all my booking details. Desk clerk couldn't find my booking and didn't believe my booking was legit even though he had info saying I was coming, i'd rung up the day I was arriving and confirmed everything and I had already paid a deposit which he could see!!! Eventually got in to a room just before 2am! Left at 6am the next morning on my tour

A very good backpackers hostel in central christchurch. Facilities are free except laundry and drying but very affordable (3$ each). The kitchen is great and common rooms nice at each floor. Rooms are average but clean. Security can be improved as in my room there were 4 lockers for 6 beds and no possible way to padlock them :/ A cafe, a restaurant and a sport center have direct access in the hostel and prices are available for the restaurant (10%off and/or exclusive meals at 15$ quite great)

I had a single room with a balcony which was a bonus. Clean room and spacious. I only used the kitchen for breakfast, but it may be small for cooking in compare to the size of the hostel

Not very personal because of the size. Stuffy feeling. Private rooms were nice. Had too pay for wifi.

The hostel was in a nice location just near the heart of the city and very close to major bus routes and the botanic gardens. They were very helpful when we were asking about what to do around town etc. The staff were kind and the facilities were well maintained. The dorms were very clean and had plenty of room.

The hostel is not bad. Not as good as it can be, but it's OK. Well located. Clean. The beds are incredibly noisy, made of metal and terrible when anybody moves during the night. You have to pay for the wifi, if you want to, which in my opinion is absurd for a "budget accommodation". Besides that, was a regular hostel. Nothing special.

My friends and I really like staying in YMCA. We booked 1 x male dom. and 2 x female dom. in the internet. But when we arrived at YMCA, the staff looked in our booking and she said she can let we stay in a triple room. It is awesome!!! When we entryed the room, the room is unbelievable big and comfortable. We cannot believed that is a simple budget hostel. We highly recommend YMCA for backpackers.

• 7th Jan 2015
  • Hong Kong

Right across from the bus stop! The beds were super comfy and the wifi was really fast. Loved it!

View all Christchurch Hostels