YMCA Christchurch Reviews

12 Hereford Street Christchurch 8011, P O Box 2004 Christchurch 8140, Christchurch, New Zealand

Upon arrival, we were provided the keys that had already been allocated to someone else. However the issue was quickly resolved to our satisfaction. Perhaps the staff should be more careful when handing out the keys, as we know that we would not be happy if someone walked into our room wielding keys and suitcases at 2am in the morning.

• 19th Dec 2014

The front desk lady ,the day of my check out, could be more helpfull and nicer, The thing is that she New that I was waiting for shuttle to go to the railway station, and when the guy showed up in an unmarked van I was outside waiting already to accelerate the process,he went in ,shout anybody for the train station,nobody answered,of course and she did not said anything.As soon as I went in she New that was me to give the bad news.Yes she call a taxi but the difference in $ was big.Her C/S poor.

• 8th Dec 2014

Staffs were polite and friendly, An OK hostel, unstable metal bed bunk, the place was within CBD: close to Botanic Garden, Museum, Central Station (bus to the airport) etc. A little bit expensive for dorm type (NZ$33/N).

..very good hospitality, no really clean the room even nice and big. Average .

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the hostel kitchen is very convenient. I was concerned the room doors don't lock behind you, and that if a dormmate left it unlocked anyone could come in and get into your open "lockers." However, I didn't have any problems. When I come through Christchurch again, I would definitely stay at the YMCA.

Even though the building was old, it's clean and cozy. And staff are very friendly and kind.

• 10th Oct 2014
  • South Korea

Good central location close to Botanic Gardens, I-site and the city. The grey colour scheme gave Level 3 where our room was the feel of a hospital.

Stayed here 3x, this hostel has a fab location near Hagley Park, not far from the Intercity bus stop, reasonable walking distance to the RE:Start mall, around 40mins to Riccarton and 10-15mins from the bus station. Stayed here 3 times, staff always friendly and helpful, only downside is there was a lot of human traffic, so sleep was constantly disturbed with people checking in at 2am, 3am, 4am etc. Would be an idea to get an idea of check in time & keep late arrivals together.

Staff very helpfull, good location close the city center, but cleanliness and atmosphere bad..... Good value to stay one night... Thanks

• 12th Sep 2014

Wifi very expensive! At almost $30 a night I thought it may have been included.

• 9th Sep 2014

Everything was just fine except that in Auckland the same or better located YMCA hostel cost me 30 dollars instead of 60 here, for the same single room. I understand the special circumstances of Christchurch as of now (September 2014), however to pay $60 for a coffin-like room without facilities is, psychologically, still a little bit frustrating...

Very basic place. Not much of an atmosphere. Staff is friendly and location is pretty good.

Very noisy as the walls are a bit thin

Staff were unhelpful, room was very noisy and cramped, ceiling was only 6 inches above the top bunk bed. Nothing happening in the locality, no bars or restaurants. Wifi was expensive. Not my favourite.

• 3rd Jul 2014