YMCA Christchurch Reviews

12 Hereford Street Christchurch 8011, P O Box 2004 Christchurch 8140, Christchurch, New Zealand

The hostel is not bad. Not as good as it can be, but it's OK. Well located. Clean. The beds are incredibly noisy, made of metal and terrible when anybody moves during the night. You have to pay for the wifi, if you want to, which in my opinion is absurd for a "budget accommodation". Besides that, was a regular hostel. Nothing special.

My friends and I really like staying in YMCA. We booked 1 x male dom. and 2 x female dom. in the internet. But when we arrived at YMCA, the staff looked in our booking and she said she can let we stay in a triple room. It is awesome!!! When we entryed the room, the room is unbelievable big and comfortable. We cannot believed that is a simple budget hostel. We highly recommend YMCA for backpackers.

• 7th Jan 2015
  • Hong Kong

Right across from the bus stop! The beds were super comfy and the wifi was really fast. Loved it!

Expensive but then a lot of Christchurch hostels are, not far to walk to the centre the botanical gardens are across the road. Not many restaurants/bars but would recommend going to Pegasus bar across the river about 5 mins from hostel good food and live music

Upon arrival, we were provided the keys that had already been allocated to someone else. However the issue was quickly resolved to our satisfaction. Perhaps the staff should be more careful when handing out the keys, as we know that we would not be happy if someone walked into our room wielding keys and suitcases at 2am in the morning.

• 19th Dec 2014

Hostel was ok but little atmosphere. Rooms clean. No free wifi.

Location was not so bad, a couple of blocks from the city center and right next to the botanical garden. As per security, the fact that it's a YMCA, there is so much going on that ANYONE can go in and out so it's up to you to make sure your room door is locked. The bathrooms were nasty, there were no mats, so everyone who takes a shower, wets the floor and the floor STAYS wet until it gets cleaned. The rooms were spacious. They had a friendly staff. Hard to meet people, since it's a huge place.

Rude and incompetent employees at the reception. The beds were noisy and shaking by every move...

• 12th Dec 2014

I found this hostel pretty quiet but it's a good place to sleep if that's all you need to do. If I would have been trying to meet people though, I think I would have had a hard time.

The kitchen was a lot too small, what wasn't that nice. A good thing were the many bathrooma and showers, you alway found a free one.

The front desk lady ,the day of my check out, could be more helpfull and nicer, The thing is that she New that I was waiting for shuttle to go to the railway station, and when the guy showed up in an unmarked van I was outside waiting already to accelerate the process,he went in ,shout anybody for the train station,nobody answered,of course and she did not said anything.As soon as I went in she New that was me to give the bad news.Yes she call a taxi but the difference in $ was big.Her C/S poor.

• 8th Dec 2014

Staffs were polite and friendly, An OK hostel, unstable metal bed bunk, the place was within CBD: close to Botanic Garden, Museum, Central Station (bus to the airport) etc. A little bit expensive for dorm type (NZ$33/N).

..very good hospitality, no really clean the room even nice and big. Average .

1 2 Next » last »