YMCA Christchurch Reviews

12 Hereford Street Christchurch 8011, P O Box 2004 Christchurch 8140, Christchurch, New Zealand

Upon arrival, we were provided the keys that had already been allocated to someone else. However the issue was quickly resolved to our satisfaction. Perhaps the staff should be more careful when handing out the keys, as we know that we would not be happy if someone walked into our room wielding keys and suitcases at 2am in the morning.

• 19th Dec 2014

Hostel was ok but little atmosphere. Rooms clean. No free wifi.

Location was not so bad, a couple of blocks from the city center and right next to the botanical garden. As per security, the fact that it's a YMCA, there is so much going on that ANYONE can go in and out so it's up to you to make sure your room door is locked. The bathrooms were nasty, there were no mats, so everyone who takes a shower, wets the floor and the floor STAYS wet until it gets cleaned. The rooms were spacious. They had a friendly staff. Hard to meet people, since it's a huge place.

Rude and incompetent employees at the reception. The beds were noisy and shaking by every move...

• 12th Dec 2014

I found this hostel pretty quiet but it's a good place to sleep if that's all you need to do. If I would have been trying to meet people though, I think I would have had a hard time.

The kitchen was a lot too small, what wasn't that nice. A good thing were the many bathrooma and showers, you alway found a free one.

The front desk lady ,the day of my check out, could be more helpfull and nicer, The thing is that she New that I was waiting for shuttle to go to the railway station, and when the guy showed up in an unmarked van I was outside waiting already to accelerate the process,he went in ,shout anybody for the train station,nobody answered,of course and she did not said anything.As soon as I went in she New that was me to give the bad news.Yes she call a taxi but the difference in $ was big.Her C/S poor.

• 8th Dec 2014

Staffs were polite and friendly, An OK hostel, unstable metal bed bunk, the place was within CBD: close to Botanic Garden, Museum, Central Station (bus to the airport) etc. A little bit expensive for dorm type (NZ$33/N).

..very good hospitality, no really clean the room even nice and big. Average .

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the hostel kitchen is very convenient. I was concerned the room doors don't lock behind you, and that if a dormmate left it unlocked anyone could come in and get into your open "lockers." However, I didn't have any problems. When I come through Christchurch again, I would definitely stay at the YMCA.

Even though the building was old, it's clean and cozy. And staff are very friendly and kind.

• 10th Oct 2014
  • South Korea

Good central location close to Botanic Gardens, I-site and the city. The grey colour scheme gave Level 3 where our room was the feel of a hospital.

1 2 Next » last »