YMCA Hostel Basel Reviews

Gempenstrasse 64, Basel, Switzerland

Ok! Dorm beds are really weirdly made. It's two bunks in one, which means, you can't move it so your basicly sleeping really to closely to a stranger (yes you can touch, their's just a plywood sheet seperating ypur heafs, not the rest of your bodies...). Anyway, really wierd and not pleasant. In hostels you expect to meet people, but not sleep with strangers. Plus the dorms a really lacking power outlet (only one in a 8 dorm bed). Breakfast not included and wifi only works in the kitchen really.

They give you a pass to use public transportation for free! Their shower is the best ever!

• 8th Nov 2014

Great hostel, really comfortable but the guests it draws really lets it down. Never had such a terrible nights sleep. It seems to draw the type of people who'd stay in hotels if the could affford it. They'd come into the room at 11pm and turn the lights on so they could spend 30 mins packing their bags and then another 30 mins at 5:30am getting dressed and finishing packing. Worst hostel ever for guest etiquette.

I liked my trip and staying very much!!!

• 18th Oct 2014
  • Russia

Good location, nice facilities. Wfi connection is good. Nothing to judge I think...

Comfortable and well organizated

excellent value and location - 5min walk t other side of the station from where the airport shuttle bus drops off and everything in the centre within easy walking distance. cleanest hostel i've stayed in and first place i've been in Switzerland that the price can genuinely be described as 'budget'

The street this hostel locate on is quiet and beautiful with colorful houses both sides. And it's little walking to the train station. I like the environment there. If the price including breakfast, it will be a excellent place to stay in.

Very quiet and clean. Social area is good, but room are average quality. Lockers in the room are quite big but old and uncomfortable, too.

• 27th Sep 2014
  • Poland

I can not fault the hostel or the staff. comqaring other hostel guests they are not the usual Backpackers even the chinese guests seem shy after all the most important things are perfect. The staff even sent me a birthday greeting

Took 45 mins to check in. On the second day I got back to my room to find it had been given to a family and I'd been kicked out. No one had told me this so the staff just collected all of my things and left them at the front desk. Never tried to tell me I'd have to move rooms. So unorganized, couldn't even say if they had vacancies for the next night or until the morning of. Reception being closed 11-3 is very inconvenient as you can't even leave your luggage in a luggage room. Not helpful

It was a decent hostel for one night. My roommates were very loud and the bathrooms were small.

I totally adore this hostel.Clean ,secure, in center,friendly stuff.Worths the money I paid.I arrive 01.30 in the night and they welcome me as it is middle of the day.I think this place is suitable for everybody.And I was sleeping without any breaks and showers are so nice there is a space for changing clothes and so on.I give these details just because this hostel is a good place to stay.

• 19th Sep 2014
  • Turkey

The hostel was fine but too expensive for what it offered. Even though we payed more than 30€/ night, the breakfast was not included.

Best hostel we've ever stay. Very good facilities. Everything was awesome.

A good place to stay for a night. The host at reception was very helpful and went out of his way to make everything comfortable. Clean rooms and toilets, so no problems there. I would definitely recommend this place!

It was OK, the price was high but we were in Switzerland, which is an expensive country. It has good and large facilities, chill room etc and the furniture is new and fashion, at least in the common zones. However, when we got there there was noone in the desk and we had to wait for 2 hours and we did not know it previously. This fact for us was unacceptable. Appart from that, we found very few bathrooms and showers for the big amount of people we were.

it was really nice.

• 17th Aug 2014
  • South Korea

A really clean, spacious hostel. It's just a couple minutes away from the train station and the large common room and kitchen are really nice. They even give you a transportation pass so you can ride the trams and buses for free which is awesome. The only downside is that it wasn't the most social hostel and the bunk beds were weirdly spaced you you practically slept right next to someone else. Other than that, a good hostel.

Wouldn't recommend this place, seriously. Uncooperative staff. Overcharged.

• 6th Aug 2014