YMCA Jewell House Reviews

180 Goderich St, Perth, Western Australia, Australia

Great staff and location, but an ageing facility that could be rejuvenated.

The only issue was the corridor bagging and startling me awake about three times. Wall are very thin, can hear next door Tv

• 28th Feb 2013

Good value for money. Clean. Staff very helpful and friendly.

• 19th Feb 2013

This property is extremely run down. The lifts do not work properly and feel unsafe, doors opening and closing uncontrollably, jerking when starting and stopping. Very hot, no air conditioning. Room in poor repair and needs makeover. No washbasin in room. Too small for a double bed. Male and female bathrooms on alternating floors-very inconvenient. The property may have been adequate 50 years ago but the world has moved on and demands better. Extremely poor value for money.

• 15th Feb 2013
  • Couple, 41+

The rooms were stuffy because the windows were all wire meshed up. Since we were there in summer, and the temperatures were high in the day and night, the breeze we get is only from the revolving fan which is dead air. The dressing table is dusty and the toilets on the 10th floor are without lights. Its high time you have male and female toilets and baths on every floor in case of emergency.

• 14th Feb 2013
  • Malaysia

Only concern was inadequate ventilation in room 704 and particularly in corridors

The room was tiny & not terribly clean,carpets old. Restaurant was good value but the room too expensive for what you got.

• 10th Jan 2013
  • Female

The staff were incredibly accommodating and very friendly.

locals getting aressted on the steps of the hostel multiple person brawls occuring more than once less than 50 metres from the property and at times visbily mentally ill people around the area too. Regarding the room no air con in meant I was constatnly sweating even with the fan on and broken window open.. way too expensive for what is offered look around as much to my dismay there are other options at the same price without shared bathroom

Jewell House is extremely convenient to Royal Perth Hospital and I have used it often when I have to transport ill elderley people down for medical appointments. Twin rooms or adjoining rooms would be wonderful so I could assist my people personally. Food outlets are not at all close by and I found that the little kichenettes which were available in the past are no longer open. Vehicle parking is also a priority to look at. I DO appreciate the facility though!

• 18th Dec 2012

On the website it mentioned there was free parking onsite. When I arrived, there was free parking, but only about 3 free spots, which were taken up by cleaning staff 99% of the time. I had to park on the street several days in a row which defeated the purpose in choosing this place. If I had known the parking situation beforehand, I would have stayed elsewhere. In the end we moved out and into a serviced apartment, which was 5x better, much more spacious and only $50 more per night.

For what I paid it was good value for money right in the heart of the city.

• 3rd Dec 2012

Location is very good, in the heart of Perth. There are few toilets and sometimes is very difficult to adjust hot water in the shower.

Stench of urine pervades and rooms stained so appear very dirty. Free parking was summarily withdrawn without alternative arrangements for guests, although staff continued to use the carpark. It cost me $20 for the first day of no parking, so I checked out - I can stay in a nice hotel for $90/night. Staff were excellent until I complained that it was a breach of contract to withdraw free parking - they couldn't comprehend what I was talking about and basically shut me down. Not impressed.

• 18th Nov 2012

I was impressed with the courteous and friendly service by the staff. Cheap basic accom with shared facilities is ok if staff are good and they are. I will happily stay again.

• 14th Nov 2012

Could improve on bed comforter and pillow cover colour to make it look better. Furniture old and taking up too much space in the room. Minimising furnitures could help improve the room. Stayed one night only although booked for 3 nights as a friend invited us to stay at his place. Kim at the reception was nice and friendly. Very helpful.

• 7th Nov 2012
  • Malaysia

You really need to provide more detailed information. I was not aware that this hostel was often used by psychiatric patients and drug abusers from the Royal Perth Hospital. As a young female, traveling alone, I did not feel safe staying in this facility. My room door did not lock and I found the other residents quite threatening. I also found the staff extremely rude. When I requested the advertised student discount, I was interrogated, despite providing a valid, Australian student id.

• 4th Nov 2012

Found the hostel to be excellent value for money. Wouldn't recommend to backpackers looking for a more social atmosphere

All staff were very kindness. Thanks.

• 3rd Nov 2012
  • Japan

We got eaten alive by bed bugs, we were not expecting the Ritz but this was a joke. When we got moved to another room when we complained that room had bed bugs as well. We got our money back but the manager would not take a phone call from me or return my phone calls after we left.