Yakushima Youth Hostel Reviews

278-2 Miyanoura, Yakushima-cho, Kumage-gun, Kagoshima-pref., Kagoshima Yakushima Island, Japan

Yakushima Youth Hostel is quite possibly my favorite hostel that I've ever stayed in. The staff is wonderful, super helpful and very relaxed. The facilities are nice, and it has a great view from it's back porch. Definitely get a free glass of local Yakushima sochu in the hang out room if you can, and then pay ¥100 for another! Such a great stay! どもありがとございました Yakushima Youth Hostel!

Really to mention: very good staff, always wanting the best for you in any way! Thanks a lot! The hostel is easy to reach from the ferry port and two minute walk to the next bus station which takes you everywhere on the island. The room was a little smelly because of the humidity in Yakushima but really clean as all the other facilities. A good hostel with great staff!

Chilled out, nice near port, good base camp for exploring Yakushima!

I had the best time here. Shuko the hostess, is the best ! She gave me precious advises on what to do in the island. There is a great atmosphere in the hostel. You feel like at home. It's warm and cosy. The Japanese style bathroom is really nice and the terrace is really cool to relax listening to the waves. I will definitely come back here. I've fell in love with this place !

The Internet was not available by my computer.

• 26th May 2015
  • Japan

The girl working there was so helpful, she really made our stay perfect! I would stay here again if I had the chance

The ofuro was amazing especially after a long day hiking (probably in the rain!)

It's a very well managed Hostel, with a great welcoming staff. We felt at home there. :)

• 18th Apr 2015

Lovely staff including an amazing manager, Shuko, who was very helpful. Great location as it is near a bus stop and near the ferry. Limited cooking facilities is the only downside. Great tatami mats, nice chill out areas.

My only complaint is that I didn't sleep well because I could feel the metal bed frame through the old, thin mattress.

Loved staying here, the staff were really helpful and friendly, nice atmosphere and very good location to catch buses around the island and near supermarket.

Very nice hostel which is conveniently located for backpackers. Staff is very friendly and able to provide good recommendations and tips about the island (in English). I really enjoyed my stay even though I was the only (Western) tourist in the hostel. Do note that I strongly recomend renting a car to travel around Yakushima as the public transport around the island is very limited and will not allow you to visit some of the best places.

View all Kagoshima Yakushima Island Hostels