Yakushima Youth Hostel Reviews

278-2 Miyanoura, Yakushima-cho, Kumage-gun, Kagoshima-pref., Kagoshima Yakushima Island, Japan

Lovely staff including an amazing manager, Shuko, who was very helpful. Great location as it is near a bus stop and near the ferry. Limited cooking facilities is the only downside. Great tatami mats, nice chill out areas.

My only complaint is that I didn't sleep well because I could feel the metal bed frame through the old, thin mattress.

Loved staying here, the staff were really helpful and friendly, nice atmosphere and very good location to catch buses around the island and near supermarket.

Very nice hostel which is conveniently located for backpackers. Staff is very friendly and able to provide good recommendations and tips about the island (in English). I really enjoyed my stay even though I was the only (Western) tourist in the hostel. Do note that I strongly recomend renting a car to travel around Yakushima as the public transport around the island is very limited and will not allow you to visit some of the best places.

I was blown away by the beauty of Yakushima, and Miyanoura Portside YH was the perfect base for exploring the island. The information about Yakushima provided by the hostel is better than anywhere else I've stayed - I'd go so far as to say you don't need to do any prior research, anything you need to know is available at the hostel, and any questions you have can be answered by the friendly and knowledgeable staff. The atmosphere is peaceful and chilled, ideal for relaxing after a long hike!

This place is _spacious_. Felt nice to finally not worry about where to fit the backpack etc. There's a huge terrace with a sea view, nice common room with drinks and snacks for sale. Location is good because it's walking distance from the ferry and nearby you can rent a car easily. The staff is helpful. Oh and there's also a hot bath, furo. Magnifico!

Clean rooms, laundry machines, showers with good water pressure/temperature, and the absolute best staff at any hostel I stayed at during my 3 week vacation. It's very close to Shiratani Unsuikyo, 25 min away. The manager Mickey arranged a 5am taxi for us to Shiratani Unsuikyo as well as bento boxes for our hike to Jomon Sugi. He provided us with all the information we needed, gave several terriffic restaurant recs, and allowed me to use his phone several times to reserve my next hotel. A

View all Kagoshima Yakushima Island Hostels