Yamashiroya Ryokan Reviews

517,shiokoji-cho,nanajousagaru,toudouindori, shimog, Kyoto, Japan

The staff are super sweet and you feel taken care of and secure!

A block and a half from the main train station so handy location if you have baggage or using trains/metro a fair bit. Rice paper screens on windows, futons and tatami mats, green tea waiting for you in your room :D But also a western loo and a nice deep shower plus bath if you get an ensuite, and a very solid room door. The lock down 10-4 is annoying but I found no reason to return to the hotel then anyway – too much to do in Kyoto! Also nearby train station has lockers to store baggage.

basically it is a good hotel and value for money.

• 24th Dec 2011
  • Malaysia

I had a great stay at the hotel. It is close to the station and amazingly clean and secure.

Very clean, very comfortable futton bed,very close to JR.Kyoto station, very kind staffs , I recomend this small ,cozy and resonable priced Ryokan to everyone.

Very nice place to stay. The staff could not have been nicer and the place was SPOTLESS! I really liked that this was a mix between a ryokan and a western style hotel. My door was a heavy-hotel style door with a nice lock (instead of a sliding paper door) and I had my own bathroom but I still got the tatami mat experience. Also, this hotel is priced better than other similar places that my friends stayed at. Cons: staff doesn't speak english and hotel is on lock down from 10-4.

• 20th Aug 2011

Location is perfect. Being locked out of your room from 10 to 4PM can be a problem. Owners don't speak a word of English, so it is impossible to communicate. Place is very clean and quiet. Very easy access and lots of places to eat around. I would certainly go back. Please note that if you need to make any changes to your reservation, ryokan will not answer any of your emails. They only speak japanese so you can't call and hosterworld only has automated systems which will not help you either.

Staff were very friendly and helpful. Room was clean. Location fantastic. Would definitely stay again.

Yamashiroya Ryokan is a great place to rest after a long day of sight-seeing around Kyoto. Quiet, private, very clean. The ryokan itself does not have amenities like food service and such, but the location is very convenient for all of that stuff. The staff gave us a pile of nice hand-made souvenirs as a "gaijin" promotion too! :)

It's nice and calen. Friendly staff and excellent location.

very near to station and also very near to shopping area, everything was fine. good conditon of the house, thou the bath was a bit aside, but when found, it was clean and very nice. very clean and friendly

very convenient location, very nice tatami rooms and two lovely ladies who tried everything to make my stay memorable!

Not what I expected, not very tradtional. Looks like a shipping container, made to look like a Japanese style hotel room...a poor attempt at that. The staff are very freindly.

I have stayed 5 nights in Yamashiroya Ryokan last week, this ryokan is very close to the railway station and I have never seen a hostel as clean as here. The lady working there is extremly friendly and helpful. When I asked for a place, she gave a map. When it was raining, she prepared an umbrella for me. Everything was perfect and I recommand stronly this ryokan to all the travellers who go to Kyoto.

One of the best hostels I have stayed in. The team at Yamashiroya were delightful and they made my stay really memoriable.

Kamer was klein( 2.5 x 3 m ) maar schoon. Futon was dik genoeg zodat je niet te hard ligt. Er is geen water koker op de kamer maar wel heet water in een thermos fles. Verder is er een klein koelkastje op de kamer. Vanaf 10 tot 16.oo uur behoor je buiten te zijn en niet op je kamer dat is even wennen. De badkamer is klein maar goed bruikbaar. Prime verblijf(je) voor een paar dagen niet voor langere termijn. Service is vriendelijk zonder veel woorden.

• 21st Oct 2010

The nicest people that I have met in Japan hostels, they speak just a little English but they really care about their guests. Traditional place, you really feel that you are in Japan, but with the plus of modern facilities, lift, ensuite room, aircon, superclean and safe, curfew at 23:30 & closed from 10 to 16. 3 blocks from train station, easy to find. No internet but you just go to the Cafe in the next corner, lot of options for eating close to the hostel and supermarkets also. Quiet & relaxed

This hostel is greatly located near Kyoto station and Kyoto tower, so it's easy to find. Two women running this place and they are nice and friendly. I stayed in a single room and there was pay-tv. 100 yen for 1 hour. First hour was free. No internet access. Room big enough for futon bed and own bathroom. Also tea in the room. The owner gave me a little souvenir for a present! Recommend!

Excellent, though quite expensive.

This Ryoken is located about 5 minutes walk from the station. The staff was nice. They gave me a bag of gifts upon arrival. Chopsticks, candy, and bookmarks. They provide books in English for reading and the room was very clean and new.

• 2nd Oct 2010