Yamen Hostel Reviews

69 Yamen Street, Pingyao, China

beautiful hostel with nice courtyards, helpful people at the reception. I stayed there for 4 nights, but unfortunately my room has never been cleaned while i stayed there

we stayed in a 7-bed room,and was not so clean. The showers need an up-to-day lifting, although for the price and location is not bad. maybe private rooms are better, but ours was noisy since was facibg the main street.

Absolute bargain and right in the centre of Pingyao!

Very good service in english.

• 1st Aug 2015
  • Belgium

Good value for money. Very cosy place, although a lot of stuff hostelworld said they have is either broken or absent. Staff are happy to help, except the night staff who was very rude. Definitely a place id stay again though.

The first night i was in a beautiful single room. But in the morning the noise from the street was almost deafening! However, at night it was very peaceful. And the courtyards look beautiful at night with the lanterns. And there were a few other travellers sitting out there so it's a good place to meet people. As for my second night, i had booked a twin for me and a friend. They had messed up the booking and tried to get us to share a bed. But after we complained they gave us a dorm room.

This hostel is directly in the old town center. Although we arrived very early, at half past six, the staff was welcoming. We could wait in the lounge, with a unfortunately poor kicker, but very comfy couches and sleep a little. We were accompanied by the staff through a few yards and big dorm with locker, bath and toilet. The bath is not very knew, but it is ok. We could use the washing service, which was very quick and fine. the reception also helped us calling a taxi for next morning.

this was a great hostel! the beds were the traditional style-very big and cool, but a bit hard if you are sensitive. good location, quiet, hot hot water in he shower. staff was helpful, but they aren't there in the morning, so if you need to leave or arrive early, you will find no one there until 7am. check out the night before you leave to get your deposit back.

Great location and super cheap beer with good food. Bed uncomfortable.

hostel is well situated and a good value, be wary of street noise though, and room was very warm at night.

This hostel was very beautiful and authentic; the staff were nice and helpful. The location is also ideal. The only two problems I had were with the food and bathroom; the bathroom was a little dirty, and the food was awful. That being said, this hotel is a great value for the money; I will definitely choose this hostel again, if I return to Pingyao.

The 20yuan dorm is what you would expect for the price (beds not so great, shared shower neither), but it's a great experience to spend a night in a traditional house in Pingyao in the middle of the old city!

Excellent location and staff always available.

It is a hostel in a old preserved courtyard in China. What else can I say? Well, location is great, inside the old city, easy to find, close to banks. Atmosphere? Wanna feel in ancient China? Well.. this is your way in. Facilities? Restaurant, common area, computers.. awesome! Negaive points? Was not the cleanest place Ive ever stayed but far from the worst, staff? The lady at the door was very helpful, the night guard? Well, not so much...

Yamen hostel is right in the heart of the old city and the hostel is in an original ancient building. The facilities are very basic but you are also only paying 20 yuan a night and for that all I expect is a bed. The girls at the front desk are really lovely and there is western breakfast/coffee available here for a reasonable price. My only complaint is the security guard who comes in at 11 on the dot and turns off all the lights no matter what you are doing and street noise in the mornings!!

You get what you pay for in relation to this hostel! The wifi is surprisingly good but the beds are horrific!! No mattress in our room even though there was in other rooms but even then the mattresses were so thin you couldn't even notice them. No real bar- all they have is bottled beer and nothing else so atmosphere is lacking.

For an absolute bargain basement price I had low expectations. They were partly fulfilled - cold showers, dirty rooms and bathrooms, (mop anyone?) darkish room, no lockers. On the plus side the location is great, the setting/building is a true old courtyard house, cheapish nice western food, good common/relaxing area (met people there) so on balance (I was only there for 1 night) absolutely worth it!! 👍

Good budget hostel. Big dorm rooms. The toilet and shower facilities are not so good, but they keep a clean place

Hostel said they did free pick up but I emailed them & never received a reply. I called when I arrived at the train station and was told they don't pick up from that station because it's too far. Ended up getting a bus and then got picked up from in town. At reception it says they sell train tickets but when I asked I was told that only the train station sells them. The hostel organised a "taxi" to take me to the station but the driver showed up late and it wasn't a taxi but a man with a car.

Location is convenient and easy to find. Some staffs are friendly, but not all. Toilet is a little dirty, and sound-proofing in loft is terrible… As you check in, they' ll give you a map of Pingyao, which is helpful. It provides us with car service to some further places. btw, electricity was cut off once for about 2 hours.