Yamen Hostel Reviews

69 Yamen Street, Pingyao, China

You get what you pay for, and the dorm was really cheap. The location of the hostel is great, and with the free pickup arranged they get a golden star. I think that all of the hostels in Pingyao has the same standard, had a look outside of many and they all pretty much look the same. So we're not disappointed at our stay what so ever, maybe except for the beds that was terrible haha, but what can you expect when you pay close to nothing for a night. breakkie was ok, good and cheap tea!

The hostel is a bit run down but it has a lot of character. I liked the courtyard and the location was excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful. I stayed in a 3 bed dorm and it was quite large. The only bad thing was that there were no lockers.

A more traditional kind of hostel than the often sterile, Chinese Ikea furnished places you might be familiar with but it comes at the price of damp bedding, a pretty weak door lock

Great value for money, top location, would stay again.

It is in the middle of old town and slightly shabby but very nice and cheap place to stay. The cheaper rooms are at the front. The Chinese tour groups (with microphones) pass by from 8am onwards, so if you are a light sleeper or want to lie in, try to get a room further back.

Stayed in the dorm, room and facilities are basic but clean, it's very cheap so you can't ask too much. At reception they speak enough English to help you out, the lounge is a very nice place to relax and meet other people and the building itself is beautiful.

a nice quirky hostel in an old building. Its right in the centre of the old town so easy walking around. floors were always really dirty even in the room but dorms had no bunk beds!! yay!! nice common area with pool table, good for people wtching

Great location in the middle of the old city. Noisy in the dorm rooms because they turn to main street but not too much. Comfortable and organized. Great value for money. Just Beware of the coffee.

Be carefull when you arrive late because the reception is closed from 11pm to 7am. We had the problem that they overbooked our room and we noticed after 11pm, so we had to share one bed. The matress was very thin and hard, but the rest was nice. It is located very central and its in an old building, so the athmosphere is special and very nice.

PRO: Location, free pick up service from train station (with ur name on a paper), cheap, 3bed dorm=normal beds, nice courtyard, free table football and pool CON: old, shabby, even billiard balls were sticky. Staff was sometimes helpful, sometimes rude even if u speak Chinese. 3beds dorm is right above bar, no sound insulation whatsoever so reeeally loud. Common shower didn’t get cleaned once (same rubbish on the floor). It took them 10mins to get our room ready, that should say everything…

A good hostel in the very centre of pingyao. The bathroom were clean and very usable and the staff were able to help when they could. I don't think you can't really expect more for the price you are paying. They did forget to pick me up at the train station but offered a free taxi ride back when I left which I thought was very fair.

Nice looking, large room, but smelled like mold. Very damp and old. I could hardly breathe in the room. Good breakfast, but staff is very unfriendly. Very good location.

The staff was really unprofessional: we asked about the tours but they were not able to tell anything about them... That really is the way how you get people to participate on your tours! Showers were ugly (only 2), only 2 toilets (of those 1 Western) in the whole place). We weren't able to lock our room properly... They offered a free pick up from the railway station but no one was there when we arrived... Then we had to take a taxi... Location good but the attitude of the staff, OMG...

vere authentic hostel. that's why it's very old. i didnt' like the shower and toilets. there were no soap. apart from that, that's a very good value for money and the location is excellent

This place is fine lots of space in the 10 bed dorm extremely cheap, value for money. Was very quiet when I was there, 8 people in the whole hostel, so not really social. Overall good place to spend the night.

Great place to spend your time in Pingyao!

Very cozy common room, excellent location! Staff are helpful when asked. Beautiful courtyard decoration!

Much easier if you can speak Chinese. Overall, very inexpensive. Two bed private room for 120kuai/night. Location perfect and hot water accessible. Be warned the dorm rooms are immediately adjacent to the street and can be quite noisy.

A beautiful old building right in the middle of the old town, lots of character with a common room full of comfy sofas. What I'm trying to say is: great atmosphere, great for socializing! Sure, the bathroom, toilet and the dorms are basic (and could be kept cleaner) but hey, look at the price. Would definitely stay here again. But "Flashpackers", look for somewhere else.

I really don't think they care much about my arrival. No one was aware that I had a booking, the check in was a mess. Bathroom, dirty, room, messy, common space, ok but no passion. Lucky it's a small town so I get to spend most of my time walking outside of this hostel. Don't be fooled by its pictures, it must have been taken years ago. Btw, one night is more than enough for Pingyao