Yamen Hostel Reviews

69 Yamen Street, Pingyao, China

Good budget hostel. Big dorm rooms. The toilet and shower facilities are not so good, but they keep a clean place

Location is convenient and easy to find. Some staffs are friendly, but not all. Toilet is a little dirty, and sound-proofing in loft is terrible… As you check in, they' ll give you a map of Pingyao, which is helpful. It provides us with car service to some further places. btw, electricity was cut off once for about 2 hours.

Yamen is a great place where you can dive into a very "traditional" and back in-to time kind of stay, for Pingyao. The surroundings are awesome, as you will find yourself in a real courtyard villa of Qing period. Great fun for young people, though I decided to stay with my family, going for a "Deluxe Room“. Far from being deluxe, the simple beds can give some rough form of privacy, while the interiors might disappoint the most delicate visitors. Value for money, and fun experience above all.

This hostel is excellent - the location is superb, being in the middle of Pingyao's old town. The decor is beautiful - I could walk out from my room into a traditional courtyard, which really added to the experience of staying in historic Pingyao. The rooms are very clean and the staff are friendly. I don't really have any complaints! Perhaps the rooms could be improved if there were lockers, instead of having to leave valuables behind the front desk.

It's a very cute hostel and they had electric blankets in each bed so sleeping there was very comfortable. As the house is very old, we had to cross a courtyard to get to the bathroom. Everything wasn't very modern but it was kind of charming. We would stay here again.

Room was cold, staff were unfriendly and not particularly helpful. No towels provided (even for a fee!), so bring your own, but saying that the bathroom was pretty dirty. Hostel building has a traditional feel though, but that's about the only good thing. Really do get what your pay for here.

Full of character, this hostel was a great price. Loved the courtyard buildings and the low wooden beams on the dorm ceiling. Also liked the cafe area and the pool table. Shower rooms and toilets definitely in need of updating-they were basic and cold. The dorm was cold too but the beds all had electric blankets which we appreciated. Could hear lots of noise from the street early in the morning. However, for the price I was happy.

I enjoyed staying at Yamen Hostel. The location is excellent, the single room is clean and comfortable, and the lounge had a nice atmosphere. The staff ahelped me and other travelers plan day trips, transport and accommodation in other places. I hope to come back one day.

the hostel is good but i think they should put bathrooms and showers in the common rooms too.

I think Yamen hostel is one of the oldest hostel, recommended by lonely planet. the location is great, but the facilities are getting really old. bathroom is really dirty and cold. staff speak English but not great passion. over all it's an ok hostel for its price.

Really nice hostel, old and traditional building. The location is really good Totally recommended!!

You get what you pay for, and the dorm was really cheap. The location of the hostel is great, and with the free pickup arranged they get a golden star. I think that all of the hostels in Pingyao has the same standard, had a look outside of many and they all pretty much look the same. So we're not disappointed at our stay what so ever, maybe except for the beds that was terrible haha, but what can you expect when you pay close to nothing for a night. breakkie was ok, good and cheap tea!

The hostel is a bit run down but it has a lot of character. I liked the courtyard and the location was excellent. The staff were friendly and helpful. I stayed in a 3 bed dorm and it was quite large. The only bad thing was that there were no lockers.