Yamen Hostel Reviews

69 Yamen Street, Pingyao, China

Yamen hostel is right in the heart of the old city and the hostel is in an original ancient building. The facilities are very basic but you are also only paying 20 yuan a night and for that all I expect is a bed. The girls at the front desk are really lovely and there is western breakfast/coffee available here for a reasonable price. My only complaint is the security guard who comes in at 11 on the dot and turns off all the lights no matter what you are doing and street noise in the mornings!!

For an absolute bargain basement price I had low expectations. They were partly fulfilled - cold showers, dirty rooms and bathrooms, (mop anyone?) darkish room, no lockers. On the plus side the location is great, the setting/building is a true old courtyard house, cheapish nice western food, good common/relaxing area (met people there) so on balance (I was only there for 1 night) absolutely worth it!! 👍

Good budget hostel. Big dorm rooms. The toilet and shower facilities are not so good, but they keep a clean place

Hostel said they did free pick up but I emailed them & never received a reply. I called when I arrived at the train station and was told they don't pick up from that station because it's too far. Ended up getting a bus and then got picked up from in town. At reception it says they sell train tickets but when I asked I was told that only the train station sells them. The hostel organised a "taxi" to take me to the station but the driver showed up late and it wasn't a taxi but a man with a car.

Location is convenient and easy to find. Some staffs are friendly, but not all. Toilet is a little dirty, and sound-proofing in loft is terrible… As you check in, they' ll give you a map of Pingyao, which is helpful. It provides us with car service to some further places. btw, electricity was cut off once for about 2 hours.

Yamen is a great place where you can dive into a very "traditional" and back in-to time kind of stay, for Pingyao. The surroundings are awesome, as you will find yourself in a real courtyard villa of Qing period. Great fun for young people, though I decided to stay with my family, going for a "Deluxe Room“. Far from being deluxe, the simple beds can give some rough form of privacy, while the interiors might disappoint the most delicate visitors. Value for money, and fun experience above all.

This hostel is excellent - the location is superb, being in the middle of Pingyao's old town. The decor is beautiful - I could walk out from my room into a traditional courtyard, which really added to the experience of staying in historic Pingyao. The rooms are very clean and the staff are friendly. I don't really have any complaints! Perhaps the rooms could be improved if there were lockers, instead of having to leave valuables behind the front desk.

It's a very cute hostel and they had electric blankets in each bed so sleeping there was very comfortable. As the house is very old, we had to cross a courtyard to get to the bathroom. Everything wasn't very modern but it was kind of charming. We would stay here again.

Room was cold, staff were unfriendly and not particularly helpful. No towels provided (even for a fee!), so bring your own, but saying that the bathroom was pretty dirty. Hostel building has a traditional feel though, but that's about the only good thing. Really do get what your pay for here.

Full of character, this hostel was a great price. Loved the courtyard buildings and the low wooden beams on the dorm ceiling. Also liked the cafe area and the pool table. Shower rooms and toilets definitely in need of updating-they were basic and cold. The dorm was cold too but the beds all had electric blankets which we appreciated. Could hear lots of noise from the street early in the morning. However, for the price I was happy.

I enjoyed staying at Yamen Hostel. The location is excellent, the single room is clean and comfortable, and the lounge had a nice atmosphere. The staff ahelped me and other travelers plan day trips, transport and accommodation in other places. I hope to come back one day.

the hostel is good but i think they should put bathrooms and showers in the common rooms too.