Yamen Hostel Reviews

69 Yamen Street, Pingyao, China

Nice looking, large room, but smelled like mold. Very damp and old. I could hardly breathe in the room. Good breakfast, but staff is very unfriendly. Very good location.

vere authentic hostel. that's why it's very old. i didnt' like the shower and toilets. there were no soap. apart from that, that's a very good value for money and the location is excellent

This place is fine lots of space in the 10 bed dorm extremely cheap, value for money. Was very quiet when I was there, 8 people in the whole hostel, so not really social. Overall good place to spend the night.

Great place to spend your time in Pingyao!

Very cozy common room, excellent location! Staff are helpful when asked. Beautiful courtyard decoration!

Much easier if you can speak Chinese. Overall, very inexpensive. Two bed private room for 120kuai/night. Location perfect and hot water accessible. Be warned the dorm rooms are immediately adjacent to the street and can be quite noisy.

A beautiful old building right in the middle of the old town, lots of character with a common room full of comfy sofas. What I'm trying to say is: great atmosphere, great for socializing! Sure, the bathroom, toilet and the dorms are basic (and could be kept cleaner) but hey, look at the price. Would definitely stay here again. But "Flashpackers", look for somewhere else.

I really don't think they care much about my arrival. No one was aware that I had a booking, the check in was a mess. Bathroom, dirty, room, messy, common space, ok but no passion. Lucky it's a small town so I get to spend most of my time walking outside of this hostel. Don't be fooled by its pictures, it must have been taken years ago. Btw, one night is more than enough for Pingyao

Although this hostel is an amazing old building, its age definitely shows in the shabby rooms, stale air, stinky bathrooms and toilets. The room just stank all the time, even with the AC on. Staff tried to be helpful, but their lack of English made communication difficult. Not a good place to meet travellers, it's merely a place to spend an uncomfortable night or two. Good location on the main street, and the free pick up from the train station was a big plus.

Hostel's location is excellent! This is a heart of city! Very nice place - a real traditional Chinese house with its atmosphere and furniture, courts. We with my sister had two separate rooms with very comfortable bad. The staff helped us to book excursions, taxi, gave some good advices. I recommend this hostel! Pinyao is the nice and wonderful place in all China! Svetlana, Russia.

• 14th May 2014
  • Russia

The staff were really chill. My only qualm is that they advertised more services than they were able to provide - namely train tickets... This required us to travel back to the train station and book them ourselves, which we could have done upon arrival had we known... They also advertise a pick up at the train station. We responded to their email with our arrival information but nobody showed up... Otherwise everything was top notch.

The building itself is really beautiful, with 3 courtyard. I think the price is a good value for money, the room was big, shower was with no hot water, they fixed it for me but it was still more cold than warm. The location is perfect, in the center of the old town, atmosphere i cannot judge as the hostel was empty but nice common area..they have cheap food and it was good, I had a good breakfast for 20 rmb. Stuff was not so friendly but I don't blame them...Pingyao is a dead dusty hole...

The staff speaks little to no English and seemed uninterested in general. Overall we were a little disappointed.

Very good location. To stay in an historical monument is an interesting experience, but he cleanliness at the toilett and the bathrooms could be much much better. The staff could learn to smile and to be service mindetd. Otherwise good value for the Money..

You can find everything you need in a hostel to have a good time and staff is very friendly and helpful. One thing I would recommend to provide is lockers in the room but apart from that, the hostel is very safe and there is no to fear for your belongings.

The dorm beds have no proper mattresses, there are no lockers either and the showers are not super clean, or warm. The common room's nice though, and warm. Pingyao's pretty small but the hostel is quite ideally located. Staff didn't seem very enthuisiastic to help or answer questions.

Good location - atmospheric period style rooms . Good breakfast and very helpful friendly staff

Not many people there when I stayed so no atmosphere. Staff helpful when organising things to do. No WiFi in rooms, only in common area. Easy walk from train station

A very nice hostel in the middle of the old city

Need to consider the price paid for this hostel when commenting, but as well as being the cheapest, it was definitely the most basic accommodation that we stayed in the entire trip (2 weeks, 7 hostels) - the room smelled damp and there were live plugs which I thought were probably too close to the shower head (which had to be live in order to heat the water). Floor was dirty, but location is great.