Youth Hostel Plakias Reviews

Plakias, Rethymno, Crete, Greece

Absolutely incredible. I walked away here not with acquaintances, but with friends. There's something about this place that makes it so easy to talk to other travelers and truly get to know one another. It's a short walk to the beach and a bunch of great shops. The hiking, swimming, etc. are the best here out of anywhere I've ever been in the world. Amazing. 5/5

This hostel is my new favorite place in Crete. If I didn't already have a plane ticket booked I would stay for so much longer! It is truly one of the most peaceful places I have been to. Reading some of the reviews people stated that a majority of the guests were older people but this isn't true. While there are older people here, they have the spirit of our younger generation. I have made so many friends here and experienced a truly peaceful stay. If your in Plakias go here!

• 24th Jun 2015

Do you want to hike around in the mountains they got it. Do you want to star gaze at night they got it. Do you want to adventure up rivers for hours they got it. You want to relax all day in hammocks they got it. Go to the ocean, breakfast in the morning, beds on the roof for ;) you know what, yup they got it. Amazing atmosphere, the owner has created a amazing culture at this hostel, something I've never experienced. one problem it's 2 bus rides away from the (her) airport, but 100% worth it :)

• 17th Jun 2015

Everyone at the hostel was extremely friendly and the owner was great! It has a very laid back feel that makes you feel at home right away. I would definitely recommend this hostel if you are staying in Crete and hope to make it back again some day.

• 15th Jun 2015

We booked this hostel because the reviews were amazing and the price wa good. What we found though was a 'Youth' hostel whose majority population were over the age of 50. The facilities and rooms were fine and as advertised but if you're looking for a regular hostel experience then this isn't the place to go. We cut our stay short and moved on pretty quickly.

• 12th Jun 2015

We are very happy about the circumstance that our hostel is an open place to people of all ages and nationalities. In fact, when you visted us 8 of 48 guests were 50 years and older while the majority was below 30 and thanks to everybody's tolerance young and old stay happily together as a big loving family. I could see that you were pretty unhappy to be in a hostel where social contacts are almost unavoidable. I guess holidays in a regular hotel would be more appropriate for you.

This hostel was just like all the reviews say, it was an amazing place to stay. Pretty basic but definitely everything you need, staff were great and the atmosphere was incredible, probably the best of all hostels I've stayed in, no wonder no one wants to leave, it's such a chilled out place. Breakfast was great and cheap and the beds were comfy too.

I had a great time at Youth Hostel Plakias. Even though I arrived late at night, the manager left a note and blankets for me at reception! He also had heaps of great tips for places to hike in the area. The breakfast isn't included but there is a super cheap menu available which is great! The atmosphere is very relaxed and chilled - great place to unwind. I would highly recommend this place.

Great hostel. Worth a visit if you go to Crete. Like everyone else I ended up staying much longer than planned. Great place to meet people and there is alot of things to do in the area.

Each person likes and dislikes hostels for various reasons, but this hostel was the best experience I've ever had with a hostel. My 2 nights turned into 5 and I would've loved more. Uli the hostel manager will do whatever he can for you, clean bathrooms and dorms, and breakfast can be cooked for you or plenty of utensils to cook yourself. Laundry for 3 euros if desired and the location of the hostel is right next to everything in this small, but fantastic city of Plakias. Don't miss this hostel!

I really enjoyed my stay at Plakias Hostel. Atmosphere, facilities, location,... everything was perfect. Uli, the manager, is a great host, always helpful and knows much about the area. I highly recommend a stay there.

Really nice place to stay; very relaxed and friendly atmosphere in a convenient location. My only gripe was that they could have had an extra computer to use the internet.

There is one public computer free of charge available for our guests and it's usually used less than two hours a day by guests.

my only negative is that i wish i would've stayed for longer! awesome hostel in plakias, minutes from the beach / hikes. hostel itself is clean and in a beautiful setting. cheap breakfasts, good wifi, uli is really knowledgeable about crete! lots to do around plakias but also the hostel has an awesome vibe for just having a chill day napping in the hammocks or playing cards with other guests! i will be back some day!

Uli is the best. Amazingly helpful and patient in giving information and directions and advice on all the hikes/things to do in the area and the island. And it is set up for all the travelers to meet each other, so there is always somebody around to hang out with. The one thing I would change is security, there really isn't any, not even locks on the door. I still put an average rating on security because everybody meets each other real quick & the vibe is so nice.

Youth hostel Plakias was the best hostel experience I've yet had. There is a wonderful fun, social, and comfortable relaxing atmosphere. I think most of this is due to Oolie (sorry if that's spelled wrong) who runs the hostel. He is very kind, very helpful, and does a lot to enhance the experience for people, even when it means no gain for him. I will recommend this hostel for anyone looking to experience Crete, or just go somewhere to enjoy the sun and good people.

• 28th Apr 2015

LOVED my stay here. Uli, the manager, was very helpful and kind; I enjoyed talking to him and hearing stories about the hostel and his own life. I was booked for three nights, but extended my stay one more night -- I would've stayed longer if I hadn't already booked and planned the rest of my trip! I was a solo traveler, but the setup of the hostel makes sure that you meet other people and make friends. Definitely going to come back!

• 26th Apr 2015

The best hostel I have ever stayed at. The manager is so easy going and welcoming, creating a very social environment. The area around the hostel was incredible for all the great outdoor activites... Incredible picturesque hiking trails, private beaches, and the cliff jump was sooo much fun. Would definitely travel back to Crete just to stay at this hostel.

Is an excellent place if you want to be in contact with the nature and share good moments with others. Is not easy to access Plakias from the airport (Chania) . If you are looking for going to the more commercial places on Crete you need to rent a car. The facilites are good and the atmosphere is great , awsome places are near by.

Very well located. The staff are amazing and make you feel at home. There are endless things to do and I promise you will love it and stay longer.

It was not just staying at a hostel it was like finding your long lost family. It is a perfect place for a solo traveler. I booked for 3 days and ended up staying almost 3 weeks and I would have stayed longer if I could. I will no question be returning as soon as possible.

• 11th Apr 2015

i was tempted to stay there forever :)

• 8th Apr 2015