Youth Hostel Plakias Reviews

Plakias, Rethymno, Crete, Greece

An exceptional hostel where people keep returning. A wonderfull lay- out, relaxed atmosphere, with clear rules, acceptable for everybody. A most hospitable hostel.

It doesn't get any better than this place. An awesome hostel, with a brilliant atmosphere. You don't find many places like this anymore where there just isn't any need for rules. Just mark your beers on the list and have a great time! It feels like one big family, but if you just want to be on your own that is just equally fine. Yamas !!!!!!!

Really nice hostel with a wonderfull athmosphere. Clean Rooms, cheap prices and Uli as a great Host. It is a typical Hostel that brings many people together. The whole group went for dinner to great non-touristy Tavernas close to the hostel, which gives you a real feeling for the island. Totally can recommend that place to stay short or stay longer and enjoy day-trips and the wonderfull relaxing athmosphere!!

I could't believe to find a Hostel so good !!!!

i stayed here for 21 days and still found it hard to leave. It's perfect. when i die and if there is such thing as an after life, this hostel would be where i would spend a few centuries at least. Relax in hammocks and read a book with a beer by your side. Everyone is so friendly and invitations to join in or not join in are there every day. enjoy life at your own pace and feel at home. The hostel has a friendly, trusting, peaceful vibe that slows down time. Loved this hostel.

if all the reviews haven't said it: just go. YES, you will extend your stay and YES, you don't want to leave. we were told upon arrival (we were staying for 2 days) that we proabably wanted to extend our stay. we said.. yeah... ended up staying for 8 days. and it's not just about the poeple you meet. i think you could meet anyone here and you'll extend your stay. cool selfservice beer and served breakkie. the best part is that you pay for what you've had at the end of your (extended) stay.

My stay at Plakias youth hostel was nothing short of amazing! There's so much to do and the people are so friendly and relaxed it feels like a little piece of heaven on earth.

• 13th Sep 2013
  • Belgium

Chilled out relaxing place. Close to beach super markets resturants and hiking paths. Clean beds but toilets could be cleaned more often not super dirty but not clean. Home to 2 cats. Plakias is a relaxing town where you can find yourself enjoying the day doing absolutely nothing. Would definitely recommend!

Love the idea of trust!!!! One of the best hostel I´ ever stayed...

Paradise... I still haven't left!

I had been traveling for a week and half in Crete, but it wasn't until I landed at Youth Hostel Plakias that I actually felt like I was on holiday. I was only slated to stay there for 3 nights and ended up staying a full week, because the people I met were amazing, and the location is a perfect base to find river walks, hikes, excellent tavernas, waterfalls & the best raki ;) Uli, the hostel manager is incredibly knowledgeable and kind--he'll give you the best tips for things to do, hike & eat.

• 21st Aug 2013

Wow! Definitely didn't fail to live up to expectations, most beautiful hostel we have stayed in. The owner, Uli, couldn't have been more helpful and he recommend great walks. The rooms themselves were perfect, with each room being in its own self contained block with hammocks outside. The hostel itself was situated in a peaceful part of the town, yet only five minutes away from the beach and local night-life. The veranda was a great place to meet fellow travellers and socialise.

I don't have much hostelling experience, but this has to be the world's greatest hostel! I immediately wished I had way more time to spend there.

• 19th Aug 2013

This was, by far, the best hostel I've ever stayed in. Plan on setting aside some time because you will always want to stay longer. The setting of the hostel is great. There's such a nice, chilled out atmosphere. Everyone is friendly and the hostel is nice and clean :)

Good hostel at a good location in Plakias. Good bunk beds, spacious rooms and excellent toilet facilities, good common "room" (it is outside) where it is pretty easy to meet other guests. They serve a nice breakfast, and as the only hostel I have visited they have a serve yourself option on beer, soda and water. Write up what you take and pay when you leave. Liked it!

Great place: good atmosphere (inclusive) and laidback. Go there!

Greatest hostel In the world situated in the greatest town in the world. Would have stayed months given the time. Everything is perfect about this place!

Only complaint was there were no lockers or even a looking door for each hostel room. No AC was also an issue as the side of the room closest to the common area got no air circulation. Uli was awesome though, and had tons of amazing hiking information! Pays to have a car in Crete, just FYI we drove everywhere.

This hostel was amazing, so relaxed. They do a great breakfast. The only thing we could fault about this hostel is that it doesnt have any lockers for your valuables, but it didnt matter that much one night we left our 1000 dollar camera out in the common area overnight and it got put in the lost and found. Would have been so easy for someone to steal but they put it in the lost and found. The activities that they tell you about are awesome, the hikes and the beaches. We would love to go back!!!

This cute little hippy hostel is a great place to come and relax. A good base to visit beaches and do other outdoor activities. No form of security whatsoever but I was not slightly bothered as the type of folk that visit here are 100% trustworthy (we slept with our door open every night). Nice clean comfy rooms, owner is lovely. Got taken out for a delicious Greek meal every night. (Only minor prob was no kitchen facilities to prepare our own meals). Worth the trip south for a change of pace.