Youth Hostel Van Gogh (Chab) Reviews

rue Traversiere 8, 1210 Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium

Average hostel, not bad, just nothing special. I wish they would be lockers in the room or just those like cages under the bunk beds so you don't have to store your things downstairs.

The locker room seems to be in a real state of mess. There could be a useable TV in the living room. Other than that the place seems nice. There could be some more bathrooms and washrooms available, though I never faced any problems.

The shower in the hostel is pretty bad, as well as the locker room. We were leaving in a private room. The beds and pillows are not comfortable. Overall the hostel is pretty old and dirty. But there is wifi available in the rooms and stuff is quite nice.

• 18th Apr 2014
  • Russia

The staff that I dealt with were just not friendly at all. When I arrived at the hostel I walked up to the front desk and was ignored by the person sitting right in front of me until I coughed and said "hello?" I felt like an intrusion, a hassle, very unwelcome. However, other than the staff, I really liked the hostel itself--it has a lovely courtyard and plenty of places to go relax, as well as a bar with Belgian beers which I also enjoyed. The bathroom was kind of dirty. Breakfast was good.

• 17th Apr 2014

One of the best!

One of the worst hostels I've stayed in. Lockers are beat up, had to tug door of one open and it came out with such force it cut and blacked my eye for a week. Staff is not really helpful. Asked for doctor notes to be scanned so I could keep for records on computer, took going through 3 staff members to get it done finally. Some homeless guy took my sheets and pillow 2nd night, I just slept in my sleeping bag rather than ask the staff for anything. Bathroom/ shower is outside of building.

The hostel was a bit inconvenient as it was in two buildings diagonally opposite each other, with reception and facilities only in one which made for a lot of hassle. There was a good kitchen and bar area, but the lighting in the stairwells and hall ways for the rooms was terrible! apart from that it was an enjoyable stay.

the hostel was fine but NEVER for the price they ask for. the rooms didnt have WiFi, i had to stand in the corridor to get a little bit of signal, enough to tell my family I was ok. the beds didnt have proper matresses, they have a plastic matress instead the breakfast is according to what you pay you cant ask for more finally, the staff wasnt attentive and helpful about the inquiries above or any other in particular

Excellent breakfast. Nice rooms. Nice showers. Front door didn't lock, so there some people at breakfast who had just come in off the street (!) Lovely bar in the evening though.

Really loved the place ! I think its perfect, really didn't face any problems at all. Maybe to be extra demanding, I would ask for a better breakfast, but thats it :)

thanks for your comment! We 're working on improving breakfast :)

Rooms look like a prison cell, dorm door doesnt close properly unless tugged strongly, no hot water shower, location in a dodgy area near a red light district. Prepare to walk.

This is absolute bare-bones accommodation. The rooms were clean, but that's about all that can be said for it. Not a central location, a minimal and unappetizing breakfast, and weak wifi. The showers were push-button, giving you about ten seconds of water at a time, and the floors were wet even outside the shower stalls. That being said, for 36 Euro I could get a single room, which would not be possible at any other hostel. Just know what you're getting into!

• 8th Apr 2014

It was a short but fun stay, the room was very big and with big windows, which was quite nice. The breakfast was standard but fine and there were lockers you could store your stuff in for the day (free).

There were two buildings, one they put picture on another site and do not have a pic. The building I stayed in was dirty, had no hot water. hated the hostel, the room was not clean.The receptionists were thick. they close the reception until 3:00 pm.

The staff was unhelpful. The guy a the front desk never told me where the wc and showers were. The wc in the lobby by the bar was absolutely disgusting, the smell and uncleaned pee reminded me of the bathrooms they have at bars where the drunk people barely aim at the toilet. The showers were hidden downstairs and they smelled of sewers, the water would go off (you had to push a knob every 20 seconds to keep it going) plus I had to walk through a quad with 5* to get back to my room!

Staff were so unconcerned .We couldn't find anyone in the reception when we arrived. After a couple of minutes, someone has came who is really sullen. She gave us a couple of bad sheet and sent us to another building which is across the street. And we needed to go to outside with our bed sheets and towels. It was really terrible. Altough our room was for 4 people, we stayed with 5 people. But the cheese in the breakfast was good.

Hello, Thank you for your comment! During the evening there's only one receptionist; That's why sometimes it's possible that you must wait for 5 min. Moreover it is not possible that you stayed with 5 people because you stayed in room #132 which is a 4bed female dorm as you booked... So you shared your room with 2 other girls. Kind regards, Virginie

Very good Hostel and excellent location near a subway station.

The hostel is next to the nice bothanical garden and only 10-15 min walk away to the center and shopping street. The main building with courtyard and bar has a nice atmosphere. There is a second building across the street. There is no elevator! Do not expect too much from the breakfast. In overall, it is a good choice for a short stay and well ok for that price.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next » last »