Youth Meeting Home Reviews

Via Pellicceria 1, Florence, Italy

ALL bathrooms had the seat taken from the toilets. This is unsanitary and unnecessary. We all hated that they have a "throw you out of bed" policy and come and wake you up at 9am, and you have to be out by 10am. This is supposedly for cleaning purposes, but it is annoying to say the least. I had never stayed anywhere where they did this.

We stayed at euro student for 3 nights the atmosphere in the hostel is very good and the staff are usually happy to offer their assistance. The fact that the hostel has no lift is a huge inconvenience as the rooms are about 15 flights of stairs up. The lockout is far too long they simply do not need that amount of time to 'clean'. However, to meet new people and stay in Florence for cheap this place caters for that.

The bunk beds did not have a railing for the top bunk and there was only one ladder for all 4 sets. They were basically renovating when we were there and we were on lockout from about 10am-5pm. The staff was friendly and the room was cheap, so I guess you get exactly what you pay for. Nice thing though is a great kitchen and two computers if needed.

This hostel has a lot of potential and was pretty good when I stayed there. They seemed to be undergoing a lot of renovation. The wifi was great, the showers were great (even though there weren't many) and the kitchen is nice with a great view of the Duomo. The staff needs more women (it was all men) and more locals (none seemed familiar with Florence). Justin was cool and helpful. It's just missing little things for example, the bunk beds didn't have ladders! The 9am wakeup call was insane.

The location was excellent for Florence. Walking distance from everything... But major problems with the actual hostel. We were given 2 keys and we don't even know what they were for. None of the rooms locked and also the staff would randomly come and peer into your room. As 2 females travelling together neither of us felt comfortable having a shower alone in the room because the staff were creepy. Also they locked you out from 10-5 and closed the common room/kitchen at 11pm. Way too expensive.

Free dinner was amazing! Just what I needed after traveling. Great conversation and the upstairs room was awesome but downstairs was a bit weird with all the construction. The shower was so bad it turned off every 2 seconds (actually) so it basically did not work.

Good facilities but very rude and non-caring staff. We booked beds in a 6 bed dorm and were transfered to a 10 bed dorm without mentioning. After some work from our side we finally got the money in between back.

One of the toilets was broken, so more than 20 people were trying to share one toilet. There was a place to lock up our bags once we got into our room, but it would have been nice to have left our bags in a secure place for the day. Definitely a party hostel. The staff kept encouraging kids to go out and party.

• 30th May 2014

Very polarized review page for this hostel, so here are a couple of thoughts for clarity. PROS: Ideal location, very friendly, cool, helpful staff (who actually remembered my name), clean rooms and common area (at least where I stayed on the top floor), great group of other hostelers (at least when I was there), working wifi and common computers (!). CONS: Construction (when I was there), multiple floors up, few outlets, 7 hour lock-out period (quick access to stuff possible). Overall: B

Really cool place and the location is awesome! You can go to the most famous place by food! The hostel was clean and the staff was great. Overall, I had a great time there.

Very difficult to find, the directions given didn't help much. Bathroom was not very nice, there were no handsoap and the shower was very unpractical. Room was okey, I stayed in a dorm and the cleaning was ok. I changed hostel after 2 nights, mainly due to the bad security, (we were given no keys, all the doors was always open, and in my room er were 10 people but only 4 lockers), and that the staff were allowing people to smoke inside. That was very unpleasant.

Perfect location in central Florence! Justin in the staff very professional and friendly. But, other people in the staff didn't know much about how the hostel worked. Then there was a full-scale renovation going on while I lived there, with working people running around everywhere, around our rooms without locks. Then with a bathroom where the door should not be closed, I had a somewhat strange experience the first night. Second night though, changed room and floor and there standard OK!

• 28th May 2014