Zanzibar Lodge Reviews

Mkunazini street, Stone Town, Zanzibar, Tanzania

Reading the other reviews, I wasn't sure if I went to the same place. And I am still not sure, if I just was there on an off day? The place has no atmosphere, and actually almost no people in it. It was difficult to even find the staff. Staff themselves, one incredibly friendly and warm (thank you Smiley) and the other one wanted to sell me tours. The room was very clean, the place a room to sleep in and nothing else. Which is fine, but I think I paid to much for it.

Security - no 24hr reception/security and the front door lock doesn't work properly. At midnight I had to go down and open the door for someone else. Location - in between narrow confusing streets without names. Staff - the manager was borderline aggressive in making sure if we booked anything we did it through him (tours, transfers etc) wifi - the manager walked us to their new hostel about 20mins away for internet that was unusably slow. The room/shower itself was decent

A good central location, with real cultural immersion with one of the mosques and religious schools next door to provide an authentic soundtrack at various points of the day and night, especially with Ramandan in full swing. The staff were helpful in arranging tours and other experiences (with an appropriate commission for themselves) to make our stay very enjoyable. Breakfast was very basic.

• 30th Jun 2014