Zanzibar Lodge Reviews

Mkunazini street, Stone Town, Zanzibar, Tanzania

Reading the other reviews, I wasn't sure if I went to the same place. And I am still not sure, if I just was there on an off day? The place has no atmosphere, and actually almost no people in it. It was difficult to even find the staff. Staff themselves, one incredibly friendly and warm (thank you Smiley) and the other one wanted to sell me tours. The room was very clean, the place a room to sleep in and nothing else. Which is fine, but I think I paid to much for it.

Security - no 24hr reception/security and the front door lock doesn't work properly. At midnight I had to go down and open the door for someone else. Location - in between narrow confusing streets without names. Staff - the manager was borderline aggressive in making sure if we booked anything we did it through him (tours, transfers etc) wifi - the manager walked us to their new hostel about 20mins away for internet that was unusably slow. The room/shower itself was decent

A good central location, with real cultural immersion with one of the mosques and religious schools next door to provide an authentic soundtrack at various points of the day and night, especially with Ramandan in full swing. The staff were helpful in arranging tours and other experiences (with an appropriate commission for themselves) to make our stay very enjoyable. Breakfast was very basic.

• 30th Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Nice Staff. Helpfull. Clean room. Breakfast ok. Location in de middle of the center. No complains

They arranged transportation for us to the next destination (Jambiani) for next morning, but the morning guy didn't know anything about it, and breakfast wasn't ready as promised. Also, transportation had to be arranged at the last minute, even when we paid the day before.

the stay was oke, nothing less, nothing more.

We arrived to Zanzibar via ferry and had originally wanted to use the ferry pick up but once we arrived our cell phones did not work. We took a taxi and the lodge was hard to find. The staff is SO helpful, they walked us around Stone Town multiple times showing us where we needed to go. The rooms were cozy and affordable. It was great for what we were looking for: cheap and in the center of things. I would definitely advise people to stay here!

• 14th Jun 2013

I arrived in Stonetown whilst being struck down with a rather severe bacterial infection. I ended up having to stay at the Lodge for an extra two nights due to my condition. The way I have been served and cared for by Tausi and her team was amazing, and I am truly thankful for their wonderful service. I hope nobody has to be this ill upon visiting, but I can attest that they had served me hand and feet over these 3 days, morning, afternoon and evening. Thanks guys, you saved my life!

• 7th Jun 2013
  • South Africa

Internet facility wasn't in the lodge. The toilet wasn't really in the room, just the next door.

Nice African atmosphere, the owners payed attention to many details, and have made a very profesional job. The accomodation is very atmospheric.

• 30th Jan 2013
  • Greece

There wasn't a sign at the old Zanzibar lodge, which made me feel a little apprehensive about the place at first. However, Ali and the owner's customer service and care made me feel extrememly comfortable in Stonetown. In fact, we enjoyed our stay so much that we came back to stay with them after spending some time on the beach. Ali took us around Stonetown, showed us where to eat, and was overall very helpful. I would love to come back and stay with them at their new place!

It was more like a bed and breakfast, there was a house girl there for afew hours in the morning and then no one for the rest of the day. There was also absoultly no signs and so it may be hard to find if you dont know where your going. Also as a girl I would feel uncomfortable walking around the area alone after dark. But otherwise the rooms with aircon were lovely

The hostel ist more like a flat with a view rooms. We saw no one else there, also no real reception. Maybe they have different flats? Anyway, the place was nice and clean and is worth the money. We got a good breakfast and the staff was friendly and helpful. But if they hadn't picked us up from the harbour (this service is free), we would have never found the hostel.

unhelpful directions (for future use, from the ferry port: take a right and walk along the water until you see the palace museum and then turn into stone town. then ask for directions fo "bottoms up" hostel, the previous name of the hostel. no one knows the name has changed), lovely breakfast. also, possibility for dorm lodging is not available through hostelworld, but available in person.

No problems, excellent location, well priced and staff were excellent especially at showing us round the very confusing stone town. Make sure that you get picked up from the ferry terminal or the Airport otherwise you well never find the place

Initially staff very friendly, we were the only people in the whole accom. Everyone left after they let us in and only returned in the morning to make breakfast so you had free roam of the whole building through the day and overnight and it was your responsibility to lock everything up- bit scary, not in the best area. Very central but noisy overnight and early morning. Staff were very unhelpful when we asked to stay an extra few hours after checkout waiting for our transfer&wanted extra £$$$!!

The lady has a new house for which is our review Just one bad thing is to tell. We ordered with her a taxi which should bring us to the airport in the middle of the night and the driver didn`t come. This was not very funny cause there is more or less noone around at 2 o`clock in the morning in stone town.

A good base for exploring Zanzibar Town, the hostel consists of three double rooms in a larger block. There is no communal area other than the small reception/dining area. Breakfast was of a good quality, omelette, tea/coffee, fruit, bread, jam and juice. The owner is helpful and can arrange trips for you. I arranged a pick-up from the airoport and I would recommend that anyone looking to stay here arrange a pick-up or at least contact the owner by phone as the place is very difficult to find.

Great value in a town of high prices! Tausi did everything she could to make sure we had a great time. Highly recommended!!!

• 11th Jul 2012

located in the city centre, this hostel is very nice and cute. If you want to live not in a luxuary hotel and have some contact to locals then choose this hostel. The rooms and shower and bathroom are enough if you don't expect too much in those countries: I definitely recommend this hostel. The owner was very nice and helpful

View all Zanzibar Bed and Breakfasts