Zanzibar Lodge Reviews

Mkunazini street, Stone Town, Zanzibar, Tanzania

Great hostel. Needs wifi!

• 26th Aug 2015

We had to ask for double bed room, like we booked, got twin first. Had to ask for clean towel, first were dirty. Bathroom was private for us, but outside, so not ensuite (still paid full price). Upon request we were moved to actual ensuite room next day (but regretted it since it was worse condition). We woke up to breakfast that had stood for hours. They could have told us they intended to make breakfast at specific time. Not run by women. No WiFi. Didn't feel unsafe, but anyone could walk in.

• 22nd Aug 2015
  • Norway

On arrival, the courtyard was filthy - full of bits of concrete and rubbish. They did not even know we were coming, and had let out one of our rooms to someone else. The sheets/rooms/bathrooms were clean, but the mosquito nets were grubby and with so many holes as to render them useless. The manager was pleasant and helpful, but did not have a clue about our booking, because the owner had not informed him. The outdoor key did not work, and we had to break back into hotel, as no-one was there.

• 21st Aug 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Your concessions at the end of my stay made up for some issues I did not like, especially the difficulties with the booking and unclean bed sheeds. But I apprisciate hat I could stay in my room at the last day of my stay and the helpfulness regarding the retriev of my lost neckles.

• 12th Jun 2015

On arrival the room we received had dirty linen and towels. The towels were worn as well. The one bed frame came apart before we could sleep on night 1. We were moved to another room which was much better. The bed wasn't touched for the second night's sleep. Not turned down or the room tidied up. The hospitality was fine. They were helpful with organising some tours for us with local operators. The breakfast was basic: fruit, plain egg omlette and bread.

• 3rd Nov 2014
  • South Africa

Reading the other reviews, I wasn't sure if I went to the same place. And I am still not sure, if I just was there on an off day? The place has no atmosphere, and actually almost no people in it. It was difficult to even find the staff. Staff themselves, one incredibly friendly and warm (thank you Smiley) and the other one wanted to sell me tours. The room was very clean, the place a room to sleep in and nothing else. Which is fine, but I think I paid to much for it.

Security - no 24hr reception/security and the front door lock doesn't work properly. At midnight I had to go down and open the door for someone else. Location - in between narrow confusing streets without names. Staff - the manager was borderline aggressive in making sure if we booked anything we did it through him (tours, transfers etc) wifi - the manager walked us to their new hostel about 20mins away for internet that was unusably slow. The room/shower itself was decent

A good central location, with real cultural immersion with one of the mosques and religious schools next door to provide an authentic soundtrack at various points of the day and night, especially with Ramandan in full swing. The staff were helpful in arranging tours and other experiences (with an appropriate commission for themselves) to make our stay very enjoyable. Breakfast was very basic.

• 30th Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Nice Staff. Helpfull. Clean room. Breakfast ok. Location in de middle of the center. No complains

They arranged transportation for us to the next destination (Jambiani) for next morning, but the morning guy didn't know anything about it, and breakfast wasn't ready as promised. Also, transportation had to be arranged at the last minute, even when we paid the day before.

the stay was oke, nothing less, nothing more.

We arrived to Zanzibar via ferry and had originally wanted to use the ferry pick up but once we arrived our cell phones did not work. We took a taxi and the lodge was hard to find. The staff is SO helpful, they walked us around Stone Town multiple times showing us where we needed to go. The rooms were cozy and affordable. It was great for what we were looking for: cheap and in the center of things. I would definitely advise people to stay here!

• 14th Jun 2013

I arrived in Stonetown whilst being struck down with a rather severe bacterial infection. I ended up having to stay at the Lodge for an extra two nights due to my condition. The way I have been served and cared for by Tausi and her team was amazing, and I am truly thankful for their wonderful service. I hope nobody has to be this ill upon visiting, but I can attest that they had served me hand and feet over these 3 days, morning, afternoon and evening. Thanks guys, you saved my life!

• 7th Jun 2013
  • South Africa

Internet facility wasn't in the lodge. The toilet wasn't really in the room, just the next door.

Nice African atmosphere, the owners payed attention to many details, and have made a very profesional job. The accomodation is very atmospheric.

• 30th Jan 2013
  • Greece

There wasn't a sign at the old Zanzibar lodge, which made me feel a little apprehensive about the place at first. However, Ali and the owner's customer service and care made me feel extrememly comfortable in Stonetown. In fact, we enjoyed our stay so much that we came back to stay with them after spending some time on the beach. Ali took us around Stonetown, showed us where to eat, and was overall very helpful. I would love to come back and stay with them at their new place!

It was more like a bed and breakfast, there was a house girl there for afew hours in the morning and then no one for the rest of the day. There was also absoultly no signs and so it may be hard to find if you dont know where your going. Also as a girl I would feel uncomfortable walking around the area alone after dark. But otherwise the rooms with aircon were lovely

The hostel ist more like a flat with a view rooms. We saw no one else there, also no real reception. Maybe they have different flats? Anyway, the place was nice and clean and is worth the money. We got a good breakfast and the staff was friendly and helpful. But if they hadn't picked us up from the harbour (this service is free), we would have never found the hostel.

unhelpful directions (for future use, from the ferry port: take a right and walk along the water until you see the palace museum and then turn into stone town. then ask for directions fo "bottoms up" hostel, the previous name of the hostel. no one knows the name has changed), lovely breakfast. also, possibility for dorm lodging is not available through hostelworld, but available in person.

No problems, excellent location, well priced and staff were excellent especially at showing us round the very confusing stone town. Make sure that you get picked up from the ferry terminal or the Airport otherwise you well never find the place

View all Zanzibar Bed and Breakfasts