Zbra Hostel Reviews

Avenida General San Martin, 1212, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Great location, poor value for money.... Looks so much better in the photos that it really is. We went to to splurge and enjoy premium hostel accommodation, but disappointed.

Dorm room was jam packed and very noisy due to mechanical equipment right outside the window. Bathrooms were also not very clean. Downstairs bar blasted music until 4am despite nobody in the bar. Area around the hostel is very nice but until the metro extension is completed need to rely on a cab or buses to get around which takes a long time due to heavy traffic.

Bring food in

• 5th Jun 2014
  • Chile

Will definitely come back.

• 6th May 2014
  • Argentina

The location is very good, just one or two blocks away from Leblon Beach and very close to many bus stations that take you everywhere. Leblon is a quite district though, so do not expect it to be as bustling or animated as other areas in Ipanema or Copacabana. Breakfast is excellent. The rooms are clean and the bed was comfortable. Restrooms were clean everytime I had to use them. There is a common area which I expected to be more lively, but maybe it was because I was traveling in low season.

NICE NEIGHBOORHOOD!

I really enjoyed Zbra hostel! I found it to be the best location for me as it was close to the beach, good restaurants and bars and easy bus access to all the attractions! The staff were friendly and always had good advice! The caipirinhas at the bar are a good way to start your night and the breakfast was filling with fresh fruit! I felt safe to walk to and from the hostel at night as Leblon is a very nice neighborhood! Definitely a great way to start my trip!

Great staff. Attentive to needs, fun, informative about the city. Great place to meet more local travelers--Many from Brazil and South America. Excellent feature not seen in many hostels is the individual outlet for every bed in the dorms. Makes traveling in 2013 easy, as you are not constantly searching for an outlet for devices and not sitting, waiting for charges.

Great location and atmosphere. However very crammed dormitories.

• 15th Aug 2013

The hostel´s design and location are the only goos thing. The atmosphere was not as welcoming and relaxed as we expected..I think that people who work at hostels should be more open and friendly. The impression we got is that they didn´t even care if we were there or not. In addition to this we were given the highest beds which were really difficult to access, and the lockers were so high that it was impossible for us to put our luggage in them.

great place, great people great hostel! ill be back next week ;)

The Hostel was just amazing... Breakfast, location, cleanness everything super good... but the best point is the staff! They are so helpfull and nice and always try to help you and that the guest feels confortable... if i go again to rio... just Zbra Only point... ist not realy quiet there, so if u prefere a quiet relax room its better to choose an other one! In Zbra is more a living, sharing and social hostel :)

• 25th Jun 2013
  • Switzerland

Z.Bra is my fav place to stay in Rio. I have been staying there since last year and wouldn´t change it. The staff is just AMAZING, lovely, helpful and always happy. I feel so great when I am staying there. Also, the location is perfect. It is only 2min walking distance from the beach and nearby there are plenty of bars, restaurants, shops and markets.

Thanks Paula!!! We also love having you here!!! Hope to see you soon !!!

Best hostel in Rio! The entire place is cleaned regularly and secure. The staff is more than helpful, they go out of their way to make sure you have accommodations, or they direct you in the right place. The staff enjoys working at Z.bra! The breakfast is delicious and fresh. There are social functions available daily, if needed. The lobby is comfortable with a full bar and wifi. Located one block from Leblon beach! The location does not get better. Overall amazing experience!

• 24th Apr 2013

Thanks Josh!!! Come back soon!!!

Great hostel. Beautifully designed with vintage furnitures. Never been to a hostel like this. Located in the most comfortable and wealthiest areas in Rio, Leblon, but if this is your first time in Rio, do not stay here. Although just two blocks from the coast, it is a bit far from the most important touristic spots a foreigner has to see. You rather stay at the beginning of Ipanema, close to Copacabana, so you won't spend much time on bus or cab when going to those places.

Loved Z.Bra hostel, could not have asked for a better night's sleep for our first night in Rio. Bedrooms were clean and very comfortable (although I am not keen on the 3rd bunk). Hostel was in a lovely area, quite a quiet street but the block behind had some great bars and restaurants on offer. The staff at the hostel were great, Ryan especially was a great guy and provided a very chilled atmosphere in the bar.

The staff went out of thier way to be friendly and helpful. One even lent me her own adaptor so I could charge my phone. The indivdual lockers in the pods made for great sleeping, for once did not have to sleep with my valubles strapped around me somewhere! Staff made great recommendations for places to go out, like casa rosa for some good salsa dancing and food. Everything was very clean and breakfast was great. Good at organising transfers last minute. Overall had a great time at Zbra.

• 27th Jan 2013

A member of staff broke open my padlock. I came back to the hostel to find my valuables removed from my locker and left on the floor of the dorm (creditcard, cash, passport, camera etc). The staff could have waited for my return and asked me to move my things. As they did remove my things the staff could have secured them in another locker, or at very least put them behind reception or in another safe place. The woman at reception swore at me when I said I wanted a refund and to leave.

Z. Bra was a better expierence than I would have hoped for. The staff was very helpful and the crowd z. Bra attracts is an authentic world traveler vibe. Book z. Bra hostel. Don't think twice

• 13th Jan 2013

I have stayed in several hostels in Rio de Janeiro over the years and Zbra is my top recommendation for Rio. The location is excellent, 1 block away from the beach and in Leblon which is the safest area in Rio. The staff was really friendly and went out of thier way to help me with everything from finding the best parties of the night to finding a doctor. Also the dorms have an extra locker next to the bed for valuables which is great. In the hostel bar you will meet lots of other travellers too

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6