smartcityhostels Edinburgh Reviews

50 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Great location near the Royal Mile. Nice helpful staff, huge bar, clean rooms and great security. Very large hostel.

The internet is a joke ... free wi fi throughout the building.... translating to only works in the bar and drops in and out. you can get an upgrade for some money at the reception. it would be nice to have a kitchen as well even though the food in the bar is alright and reasonably priced. Seems to have a good stag/hen party income at the weekend

Excellent assistance!

PERFECT!! We stayed in the SCH Edinburgh for 3 nites. It is the perfect location to discover E. or just of fun. The hostel is clean in our room for 8 we had 2 showers und toilets which was quite handy. The bar look nice, though we did not use is. Stuff is friendly and helpfull. would go there again. Thanks u SCH

Nice stay there. It is clean and well-faciliated. The location is good, just one minute walk to the royal mile. Wonderful experence.

• 17th Oct 2013
  • China

Staff very friendly and helpfull

• 15th Oct 2013
  • Scotland
  • Couple, 41+

Very friendly staff, excellent location, clean and comfortable. Rooms were also warm which I considered a real plus as I came from a hot climate.

• 15th Oct 2013

the bar it the only lounge and therefore it isn't much of a bar. lots of people sitting on computers, sleeping, waiting and lots of under-age people (depending when you go)

As usually I can only give SCH * * * * * They are way ahead of the rest so, deffo top class

If could, please give higher level rooms to the people who need to wake up in early morning to attendent other tours in Scotland. It was a bad stay experience in the hostel for us as there was a bar very close to the room and music stopped until 2 am in the morning. Unfortunately, we needed to waked up at 6.30 am for highland trip.

This place is a must. The crowd is young, but it's still really nice.

we 4 booked a 4 people room and they gave us the whole 8 people room. It is so nice. The location is very good and the room on the third floor is not so noisy.

Great easy to get to modern hostel with great facilities in each room, although felt as though they needed a quick clean each day but maybe my room mates were just messy. Otherwise made up for by complimentary Scottish breakfast both mornings which was great. Felt as though the lack of communal chill out areas where you could BYO and make friends without the being 'in the bar' affected the hostel experience. Lockers were awesome and big. Staff very friendly.

My friends and I just spent one night in this hostel and it was really nice. Very well located with a private shower and WC. We were 6 people so we fix in one room all of us (party room!) Breakfast wasn't include in the price but it is worth to pay for it (just £5 and you start the day plenty of energy!). I would recomend ear plugs for a nice sleeping but I definetely recomend this place for visiting Edinburgh.

It would be helpful to warn people of the noisy bar in the basement. The noise made it almost impossible to sleep at night. Also, a reading lamp by each bed would be helpful.

For such a huge hostel it was definitely good. We had a big room with our own bathroom, there's a common room, where they offer activities every night, there's a kitchen and they have really helpful staff. Would definitely recommend it, although perhaps not for solo travellers. We didn't make it to the pub crawl or the walking tour, but I'm sure that's great as well :-)

Excellent location! Just off the Royal Mile, it's practically in the heart of Edinburgh, & a 10-minute walk from the Edinburgh Waverly station--ideal to explore Edinburgh as well as take day trips out through Waverly. The rooms, dorms, & bathrooms were clean, tidy and spacious. Towels & soap are provided. You can keep your belongings safe by using your own lock on individual lockers. The bar downstairs is great, with very reasonably priced food. There is also a kitchen for the guests to use.

Great location, clean and cheap. The only problem was the long queue (around 15 minutes!) for registration.

• 25th Aug 2013

The hostel itself was nice and clean and in a great location. Some downsides are that there's not much of a homey atmosphere and when I arrived they initially sent me to bed which had already been slept in and not cleaned- twice!! So that was a bit of a waste of time. I didn't try the breakfast but I was told that it wasn't great. Good toilet facilities though.

Beautiful hostel right in the heart of Edinburgh. Just watch out - check-in took forever!