smartcityhostels Edinburgh Reviews

50 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

This place is a must. The crowd is young, but it's still really nice.

we 4 booked a 4 people room and they gave us the whole 8 people room. It is so nice. The location is very good and the room on the third floor is not so noisy.

• 10th Sep 2013
  • China

Great easy to get to modern hostel with great facilities in each room, although felt as though they needed a quick clean each day but maybe my room mates were just messy. Otherwise made up for by complimentary Scottish breakfast both mornings which was great. Felt as though the lack of communal chill out areas where you could BYO and make friends without the being 'in the bar' affected the hostel experience. Lockers were awesome and big. Staff very friendly.

My friends and I just spent one night in this hostel and it was really nice. Very well located with a private shower and WC. We were 6 people so we fix in one room all of us (party room!) Breakfast wasn't include in the price but it is worth to pay for it (just £5 and you start the day plenty of energy!). I would recomend ear plugs for a nice sleeping but I definetely recomend this place for visiting Edinburgh.

It would be helpful to warn people of the noisy bar in the basement. The noise made it almost impossible to sleep at night. Also, a reading lamp by each bed would be helpful.

For such a huge hostel it was definitely good. We had a big room with our own bathroom, there's a common room, where they offer activities every night, there's a kitchen and they have really helpful staff. Would definitely recommend it, although perhaps not for solo travellers. We didn't make it to the pub crawl or the walking tour, but I'm sure that's great as well :-)

Excellent location! Just off the Royal Mile, it's practically in the heart of Edinburgh, & a 10-minute walk from the Edinburgh Waverly station--ideal to explore Edinburgh as well as take day trips out through Waverly. The rooms, dorms, & bathrooms were clean, tidy and spacious. Towels & soap are provided. You can keep your belongings safe by using your own lock on individual lockers. The bar downstairs is great, with very reasonably priced food. There is also a kitchen for the guests to use.

Great location, clean and cheap. The only problem was the long queue (around 15 minutes!) for registration.

• 25th Aug 2013

The hostel itself was nice and clean and in a great location. Some downsides are that there's not much of a homey atmosphere and when I arrived they initially sent me to bed which had already been slept in and not cleaned- twice!! So that was a bit of a waste of time. I didn't try the breakfast but I was told that it wasn't great. Good toilet facilities though.

Beautiful hostel right in the heart of Edinburgh. Just watch out - check-in took forever!

Had a nice comfortable stay with good service from the hotel staffs.

• 24th Aug 2013
  • India

SmartCity Hostel made my trip to Edinburgh a smooth and nice experiecne, no problems at all, friendly staff, clean room, great atmosphere, all for a bargain price!

Great hostel! Would have been better if breakfast was included, will go back in a heart beat!

unable to really comment on value for money as it was during the festival and no hostel outside of these times would be worth £38 a night. only problem I had was in a 8 bed dorm that was split into 2 rooms. 1 room had the toilet and shower room. this room had no door and the people in he other room didn't realise how loud the main door and their door was

very good hostel, only bad thing was the tv in room did not work.

• 23rd Aug 2013
  • Scotland

AWESOME!!! This hostel is verry (verry) clean, and the spot is just perfect. You are one minute away from the castle and the majors attractions. I really liked the fact that we had big lockers in each rooms. Also, I had the opportunity to try the small rooms (4 beds) and the big ones (8 beds). Turns out that the big rooms are in fact made of two rooms of 4 beds each, with a bathroom and a shower in the middle. The result is that you have good intimacy, even though you are 8 in the room.

Staff were very unorganised, they made us check out and check back in and extra 2 times of the 4 nights we stayed there. On the 2nd check in they couldn't find our reservation so they made us wait an extra hour, on the 3rd check they checked us straight back into the room we just had given the exact same beds only to be woken up at 2am later that night by staff telling us to change rooms. Beds where really comfortable in all 3 rooms I stayed in, great bar, food and location.

The beds are quite short for a taller person (1.90 meter or taller). I knwo that it is something which is normal in Scotland, but I feel I should tell you anyway!

• 12th Aug 2013

Really good value for money,location is easy access to other places,highly recommend .

• 10th Aug 2013
  • Sri Lanka

More places with power points for people with laptops. The bar is very loud and there's no quiet room to hang out.