smartcityhostels Edinburgh Reviews

50 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

unable to really comment on value for money as it was during the festival and no hostel outside of these times would be worth £38 a night. only problem I had was in a 8 bed dorm that was split into 2 rooms. 1 room had the toilet and shower room. this room had no door and the people in he other room didn't realise how loud the main door and their door was

very good hostel, only bad thing was the tv in room did not work.

• 23rd Aug 2013
  • Scotland

AWESOME!!! This hostel is verry (verry) clean, and the spot is just perfect. You are one minute away from the castle and the majors attractions. I really liked the fact that we had big lockers in each rooms. Also, I had the opportunity to try the small rooms (4 beds) and the big ones (8 beds). Turns out that the big rooms are in fact made of two rooms of 4 beds each, with a bathroom and a shower in the middle. The result is that you have good intimacy, even though you are 8 in the room.

Staff were very unorganised, they made us check out and check back in and extra 2 times of the 4 nights we stayed there. On the 2nd check in they couldn't find our reservation so they made us wait an extra hour, on the 3rd check they checked us straight back into the room we just had given the exact same beds only to be woken up at 2am later that night by staff telling us to change rooms. Beds where really comfortable in all 3 rooms I stayed in, great bar, food and location.

The beds are quite short for a taller person (1.90 meter or taller). I knwo that it is something which is normal in Scotland, but I feel I should tell you anyway!

• 12th Aug 2013

Really good value for money,location is easy access to other places,highly recommend .

• 10th Aug 2013
  • Sri Lanka

More places with power points for people with laptops. The bar is very loud and there's no quiet room to hang out.

Clean, fun place to stay. Very central. Thanks!

• 4th Aug 2013

The elevators where not working well so we had to come up 5 floors! :(

Great hostel with a perfect location just off the golden mile. Rooms were basic and clean, which did the job, although mattresses and pillows could to with an upgrade. The downstairs bar/restaurant/check-in space was buzzing, and had a cool vibe to it. And the staff were friendly, knowledgeable and really helpful with any question we had. Would definitely recommend this place.

• 2nd Aug 2013

8 person mixed dorm, clean, comfortable beds and room. 2 showers, toilets and sinks in the room also in good condidition and clean. The lockers in your room will fit your whole bag in and storage for luggage before check in and after check out. Book direct through the hostel it's cheaper than if you use this website as the 10% deposit does not get deducted from your overall charge. Give your keycard back on checkout, my friend forgot and I got charged £5, which was a bit pennypinching.

when i first ready the review i was a bit skepctal,but it was fine,a very nice,efficient,dinamic,assertive young lady who attend me,the boys in the recepction,NEED SOME?/WORK..TRAINING..BUT THE young lady was very nice..nice location,also near by mos of the venues for edinburgh festival....stay first in 5th floor or 6th...it was a very nice+=SPACIOUS ROOM,then been transfer for 1th floor,extremelly CASTROFOBIC ROOM,but well,considering the last minute booking+most of places have been full .

Service could have been better. We spoke to three staff about bathroom light not working in ensuite and nothing was done about it.. Had to resort to using headtorch in bathroom as pitch black without it. Know that it was at start of busy festival season but could have been more helpful.

Great location in the centre of Edinburgh. This hostel was fine for a few nights albeit a bit loud at times if your room is overlooking the bar. The room was clean and well maintained and overall this hostel is a decent place to stay.

nothing to complain

Bathrooms floors are bit noisy, they make cracking sounds, that could disturb your sleep. The hostel is clean and very accessible location in the central part of Edinburgh.

Loved this hostel. Feels more like a hotel. Awesome bar downstairs. Perfect location.

We loved the location of this hostel but when we got to our room the carpets were pretty grimy and the place smelled of smoke. Other than the room, the hostel itself had a great atmosphere and the staff was very helpful.

• 2nd Jul 2013

I wasn't,t aware that I was paying for 2 empty beds although I asked for a private room for 2 people. I booked on line but it wasn't,t clear that I was paying for unoccupied beds consequently thinking that it was very expensive for a hostel even though it was 5 star. I think breakfast should be included for that price.

• 28th Jun 2013

We got there a little early for check-in, the woman was extremely rude. She snapped when we asked about luggage storage, and was zero help when we asked about a map. On the contrary, 2 men worked the desk later and were extremely helpful. But the way they assigned rooms was not good. My friend and I seperately booked a room of 4, she ended up in a room with 3 men and me in a room with 1 man and 2 empty beds. It was very inappropriate, a mixed room should include more females

• 28th Jun 2013