smartcityhostels Edinburgh Reviews

50 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Really good value for money,location is easy access to other places,highly recommend .

• 10th Aug 2013
  • Sri Lanka

More places with power points for people with laptops. The bar is very loud and there's no quiet room to hang out.

Clean, fun place to stay. Very central. Thanks!

• 4th Aug 2013

The elevators where not working well so we had to come up 5 floors! :(

Great hostel with a perfect location just off the golden mile. Rooms were basic and clean, which did the job, although mattresses and pillows could to with an upgrade. The downstairs bar/restaurant/check-in space was buzzing, and had a cool vibe to it. And the staff were friendly, knowledgeable and really helpful with any question we had. Would definitely recommend this place.

• 2nd Aug 2013

8 person mixed dorm, clean, comfortable beds and room. 2 showers, toilets and sinks in the room also in good condidition and clean. The lockers in your room will fit your whole bag in and storage for luggage before check in and after check out. Book direct through the hostel it's cheaper than if you use this website as the 10% deposit does not get deducted from your overall charge. Give your keycard back on checkout, my friend forgot and I got charged £5, which was a bit pennypinching.

when i first ready the review i was a bit skepctal,but it was fine,a very nice,efficient,dinamic,assertive young lady who attend me,the boys in the recepction,NEED SOME?/WORK..TRAINING..BUT THE young lady was very nice..nice location,also near by mos of the venues for edinburgh festival....stay first in 5th floor or 6th...it was a very nice+=SPACIOUS ROOM,then been transfer for 1th floor,extremelly CASTROFOBIC ROOM,but well,considering the last minute booking+most of places have been full .

Service could have been better. We spoke to three staff about bathroom light not working in ensuite and nothing was done about it.. Had to resort to using headtorch in bathroom as pitch black without it. Know that it was at start of busy festival season but could have been more helpful.

Great location in the centre of Edinburgh. This hostel was fine for a few nights albeit a bit loud at times if your room is overlooking the bar. The room was clean and well maintained and overall this hostel is a decent place to stay.

nothing to complain

Bathrooms floors are bit noisy, they make cracking sounds, that could disturb your sleep. The hostel is clean and very accessible location in the central part of Edinburgh.

Loved this hostel. Feels more like a hotel. Awesome bar downstairs. Perfect location.

We loved the location of this hostel but when we got to our room the carpets were pretty grimy and the place smelled of smoke. Other than the room, the hostel itself had a great atmosphere and the staff was very helpful.

• 2nd Jul 2013

I wasn't,t aware that I was paying for 2 empty beds although I asked for a private room for 2 people. I booked on line but it wasn't,t clear that I was paying for unoccupied beds consequently thinking that it was very expensive for a hostel even though it was 5 star. I think breakfast should be included for that price.

• 28th Jun 2013

We got there a little early for check-in, the woman was extremely rude. She snapped when we asked about luggage storage, and was zero help when we asked about a map. On the contrary, 2 men worked the desk later and were extremely helpful. But the way they assigned rooms was not good. My friend and I seperately booked a room of 4, she ended up in a room with 3 men and me in a room with 1 man and 2 empty beds. It was very inappropriate, a mixed room should include more females

• 28th Jun 2013

The rooms were cramped. We were ten in a room where I would have put 6 people at most. The bathrooms were not as clean as I would have liked. But apart from that we had great fun. The location was great, right off the royal mile. Anway, Edinburgh was such a great city that we barely noticed the few inconvenients of the hostel.

Long queue at reception - not a criticism of the staff, but I was in a hurry and needed to check-in and go, and everyone seemed to arrive at once.

• 19th Jun 2013
  • Afghanistan

Great value for money! Everything was wonderful.

Very central location, great for exploring the city on foot! We stayed in the newly refurbished wing so the room had a strong smell of paint. WiFi only available in the bar area. Food from their kitchen wasn't the greatest, the chicken I ordered was very small and over fried, but you can easily get food elsewhere as it's so central. Or cook using their clean and spacious guest kitchen. The hostel is definitely a good value for its location, facility and service.

This is a great, clean hostel with a good bar. Rooms and bathrooms were kept clean and tidy. Not to much street noise. Wi fi only available in the bar.