smartcityhostels Edinburgh Reviews

50 Blackfriars Street, Edinburgh, Scotland

Bathrooms floors are bit noisy, they make cracking sounds, that could disturb your sleep. The hostel is clean and very accessible location in the central part of Edinburgh.

Loved this hostel. Feels more like a hotel. Awesome bar downstairs. Perfect location.

We loved the location of this hostel but when we got to our room the carpets were pretty grimy and the place smelled of smoke. Other than the room, the hostel itself had a great atmosphere and the staff was very helpful.

• 2nd Jul 2013

I wasn't,t aware that I was paying for 2 empty beds although I asked for a private room for 2 people. I booked on line but it wasn't,t clear that I was paying for unoccupied beds consequently thinking that it was very expensive for a hostel even though it was 5 star. I think breakfast should be included for that price.

• 28th Jun 2013

We got there a little early for check-in, the woman was extremely rude. She snapped when we asked about luggage storage, and was zero help when we asked about a map. On the contrary, 2 men worked the desk later and were extremely helpful. But the way they assigned rooms was not good. My friend and I seperately booked a room of 4, she ended up in a room with 3 men and me in a room with 1 man and 2 empty beds. It was very inappropriate, a mixed room should include more females

• 28th Jun 2013

The rooms were cramped. We were ten in a room where I would have put 6 people at most. The bathrooms were not as clean as I would have liked. But apart from that we had great fun. The location was great, right off the royal mile. Anway, Edinburgh was such a great city that we barely noticed the few inconvenients of the hostel.

Long queue at reception - not a criticism of the staff, but I was in a hurry and needed to check-in and go, and everyone seemed to arrive at once.

• 19th Jun 2013
  • Afghanistan

Great value for money! Everything was wonderful.

Very central location, great for exploring the city on foot! We stayed in the newly refurbished wing so the room had a strong smell of paint. WiFi only available in the bar area. Food from their kitchen wasn't the greatest, the chicken I ordered was very small and over fried, but you can easily get food elsewhere as it's so central. Or cook using their clean and spacious guest kitchen. The hostel is definitely a good value for its location, facility and service.

This is a great, clean hostel with a good bar. Rooms and bathrooms were kept clean and tidy. Not to much street noise. Wi fi only available in the bar.

Great location right in the centre of Edinburgh's Old Town just off High Street. Close to all the bars, staff were helpful with info on all the things to do around town and hostel has a good cooked breakfast. There was a big school group when I stayed there though, and they tended to occupy all the room and facilities around mealtimes.

Its a great hostel in the heart of Edinburgh next to the Royal Mile and it has a great value for money! Its clean and save and the staff is quite helpful!

Great location, nice service. Clean and nice beds.

• 12th May 2013
  • Sweden

We enjoyed our stay in smartcityhostels Edinburgh. The beds were a bit shaky so whenever the guy above me moved, I also moved and it woke me up several times. Good value for money, great location (very close to Royal Mile). We did not try breakfast but luggage storage was good and reception staff were helpful.

bar 50 is bumping!!!!

• 24th Mar 2013

Good handy place to stay for our rugby trips we'll be back !!!

• 23rd Feb 2013
  • Scotland
  • All Male Group, 41+

Do not get a room with a window facing the inner courtyard due to the noise coming from the bar. In addition, we did not have soap in our room upon arrival (for washing our hands or in the shower). However, excellent location and friendly staff.

We stayed at the hostel for an extended period of time, despite this we found the majority of the staff were quite rude and unpleasant. Not very friendly at all, considering they were seeing us everyday! The exception were 2 of the reception/office staff! The hostel itself is very well run, clean and organised. I would stay there again, I guess I just expected people to be friendlier.

• 16th Jan 2013

Tremendous Weekend

A perfect hostel. Really spacious, quiet, clean, fun, great location and super friendly staff. We came here after leaving early from a different hostel in Edinburgh which was awful despite being rated the highest in Scotland.