Amber Tree Lodge Backpackers

Cape Town, South Africa

One of the best hostel I've stayed. Facilities are beautiful and in a great location. Wayne and Steven are great hosts and so very helpful.

Bobs Bunkhouse

Johannesburg, South Africa

Bob and Joan are great! Very helpful and friendly. The hostel is nice and clean. Nice stay. Bob can help with tours and tips how to go about Johannesburg. Many thanks for the pick up at the airport.

Good hostel. Good breakfast. My room was clean and the staff ready to help. What to watch here is setting up your tour to the town's attractions. The hostel's connections with taxi drivers and tour companies is a money sucking business with very low grade tourist structure. They will look for every penny they can take out of you. Everything is highly expensive and when it comes for them to deliver, services are mediocre. Watch your wallet, bargain and if you can do it on your own - even better.

Hostel Campo Grande

Campo Grande, Brazil

This is an average hostel. No character, no frills. My room was clean and services were good. They did pick me up at the airport after I only sent an e-mail message 2 days before. What to watch for here is the push to purchase tour packages to Pantanal. The tour is "questionable". I had a good time but most will be frustrated with the services and facilities there. They try to overcharge you and under-deliver. Do some research and try a different tour.

Goodnight Lisbon Hostel

Lisbon, Portugal

The best hostel of my 6 city trip. Great location and extremely approachable, fun, relaxed, resourceful, helpful, friendly staff. Even the breakfast was above average with home cooked pancakes that were delicious. Bathroom on 2nd floor could get a face lift. They also have a free walking tour offered by this guy (Peter?) that was very helpful and informative. Thanks guys...

Sevilla Inn Backpackers

Seville, Spain

In a world of cell phones and digital cameras, there were no outlets to be seem for recharging my batteries unless I would lock myself in the tiny bathrooms or stay on top of other people in the little kitchen. And they have only 3 bathrooms for the whole hostel. There was always a line in the morning of people waiting to shower. If you just wanted to use the loo, good luck. You just have to get in line since the toilets are together with the showers. Staff was nice.

Funky Cordoba

Cordoba, Spain

Great hostel, good price. The couple who runs it are young, beautiful, kind, resourceful and friendly. Location is minutes from the center even though it is in a noise street and Cordoba is active until pretty late. So if you want to sleep early, bring earplugs. I like that they don't offer breakfast but instead they have a deal with the restaurant next door for a deep discounted menu options. Good stay!

Hostel Dolce Vita

Granada, Spain

This was excellent! Small, intimate hostel where you are able to get to know other guests and interact more. The staff was the best in every sense and I've never seen a hostel so clean. Best beds in the business. Great mattresses and wide enough that you could feel a better sense of personal space you don't usually get in a hostel. Shower was perfect. Breakfast was poor. I would say: better not to offer at all. Lockers could be a bit bigger and it would help if with key card access.

Purple Nest Hostel Valencia

Valencia, Spain

This was an average hostel. The rooms were of acceptable sizes and bathrooms were clean. Sfaff was helpful. Close enough to the center and beautiful view from the balcony. I like that they say upfront they don't include breakfast. Better than say they do and offer close to nothing.

Be Mar Hostel

Barcelona, Spain

Overcrowded, impersonal. AC in fully booked small 14-bed room was broken on the first night. Staff new about it all day and did nothing. When I complained, I got some attitude and no resolve until next morning.