This isn't a hostel for socializing and making friends, it's a couple of small rooms, no curfew. It was clean enough for NYC, I saw a mouse once, the bathroom was ok, the shower curtain was mildewed. The subway with the local 6 is two streets away, central park is around the corner. I had a minifridge, and there's a new grocer, and pharmacy a block away. It's in East Harlem, but as a single, female non-local traveler, I never felt unsafe. I'd recommend BYO towel and flipflops for the shower.

• 31st Jul 2013

HI - New York City

New York, USA

I wish there were more places to sit in the rooms. When you have a top bunk, it's really annoying to have to hop around trying to wear your clothes or do anything else. Electric outlets for the top bunks and reading lights would also be greatly appreciated. It would be nice if there was a designated quiet room. We couldn't find one and I was travelling with a friend whose religious practices were mocked by other people in her room when she prayed. The hostel was great! Love the staff!

• 12th Apr 2013

West Side YMCA

New York, USA

The only reason I stay at this hostel is because of its location. Its subway stop is the very well connected 59th Street. However, the rooms are small and the beds uncomfortable. There is one bathroom/shower area for every floor which has three showers and three toilets. The toilets are clean enough (before the morning rush). The showers are capsules with a curtain that open out into the washbasin area. Last time, the hot water was out all morning. No place to hangout, and the staff is unhappy.

• 25th Oct 2012