Location Australia, Gender Female, Age 24

Hedonist Hostel, Belgrade, Serbia
8th Nov 2013

great hostel, fantastic atmosphere, really genuine place. Staff (especially Filip), went so far out of their way to make sure guests had a good time and to provide us with information. Great location. Would strongly recommend for your stay in Belgrade

Urban Garden Hostel, Lisbon, Portugal
24th Oct 2013

Staff were great and really went out of their way to ensure guests enjoyed themselves and were looked after while at the hostel. Aside from this we were fairly disappointed with the location and facilities at the hostel. It's a party hostel and lots of fun at night if that's what you're looking for.

Riad Massine II, Marrakech, Morocco
8th Oct 2013

Great little riad, clean with good facilities. Half the price of anything else in Marrakesh and great value for money. A little further from the city centre but we actually liked that. Had a really comfortable stay here and the staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast is not included but that didn't bother us. Would recommend.

Hostel Riad Marrakech Rouge, Marrakech, Morocco
5th Oct 2013

Overall a fine hostel. Beautifully decorated common area, good location (albeit hard to find), the included breakfast was great and the tour we booked through the hostel to the sahara was really enjoyable. However bathrooms were absolutely filthy and price was more expensive than other hostels. Stayed at another riad in marrakech a few nights later, it was half the price and had much nicer, cleaner, facilities. Having said this, this seems like a great hostel for solo travellers to meet others.

31st Aug 2013

An alright hostel for what you get in Barcelona. Large, impersonal hostels seem to be the go here and this is another of them. Facilities are second to none though, hostel is comfortable. Some staff are super accommodating others couldn't care less. Breakfast is a good option for 3 euro and the location is OK. Better than many other hostels I have stayed at in Barcelona but still nothing overwhelmingly special.

Itaca Hostel, Barcelona, Spain
21st Aug 2013

One of the more authentic hostels I have stayed in in Barcelona. Has a nice, friendly and respectful communal atmosphere, great for a solo traveller. Free breakfast is great and location is hard to beat in the Gothic barrio. Only thing lacking is facilities, bathrooms were fine but rooms were hot and un-airconditioned in peak of summer.

Room007 Ventura Hostel, Madrid, Spain
11th Aug 2013

Couldn't rate this hostel higher. Lovely staff, nice communal atmosphere in the upstairs room and terrace. Beautiful, clean, brand new facilities. Perfect location in a great little area, lots of restaurants etc to choose from but not in a noisy street. Hostel organised events every night. Lack of a proper kitchen the only downside if you want to do your own cooking. Air conditioning always a welcome relief from the summer heat of Madrid. Highly recommend.

5.7
8th Aug 2013

5.7
5th Aug 2013

Very, very sterile hostel. Facilities in themselves were good, but bathroom was always dirty and my 10 bed dorm was generally left filthy by other inconsiderate guests. Hard to get any sleep in the larger dorms because people are literally in and out all night - such a big hostel that you loose a genuine communal living vibe. Although some staff were great, on many occasions we experienced very poor, rude and excruciatingly slow customer service. Would not recommend.

Sunshine Bedz KL, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
9th Feb 2012

Great hostel for my short stop over in KL. Good location, clean and comfortable. Staff were incredibly accommodating and friendly. Would stay again.

Villa Merry No 1 at the Khan River, Luang Prabang, Laos
19th Jan 2012

Had a lovely stay here, however, by Laos standards it is very expensive. No complaints about the accommodation itself, however as backpackers we decided to move to a place one-fifth of the price for the remainder of our stay in Luang Prabang, where we were ultimately just as happy. Would definitely recommend this to those without such a strict budget, who are happy to pay the extra dollars.

Phoenix Hostel, London, England
6.6
13th Jan 2012

Hostel was pretty depressing - bunk beds were three stories high, giving the rooms an incredibly claustrophobic and uncomfortable feeling. Not too much to ask for a bed you are able to sit up on within a hostel. Was incredibly cheap by London standards although, so if you are on a tight budget it is an alright option. Bathrooms smelt and were dingey. Fine location. Wouldn't stay here again.

Celica Art Hostel, Ljubljana, Slovenia
16th Dec 2011

Really cool hostel in an incredible building. Staff very organised and incredibly helpful. Ljubljana is an amazing place with heaps to do and this is a great place to stay to see it all. Would definitely recommend staying here.

Fulir Hostel Zagreb, Zagreb, Croatia
14th Dec 2011

Nothing essentially wrong with the hostel but we really wanted to get out of there. Hostel was empty except for ourselves and a couple of 50 year old men, making it seem seedy and uncomfortable. Mattresses were the worst, most filthy and most uncomfortable thing I have slept on during 6 months in European hostels. However, staff were at least really really friendly and accommodating. Also, location within Zagreb was perfect and accessible to everything.

Carpe Noctem Original, Budapest, Hungary
11th Dec 2011

Another great stay at Carpe. Thanks for everything guys.

Chalet Les Frênes, Chamonix, France
3.7
2nd Dec 2011

After a disagreement with the owner, we profusely apologised and were looking to enjoy the rest of our stay. However, we were made to feel so incredibly uncomfortable after this and the mood was so hostile we had to leave. After being charged the entire proposed stay, we moved to a hotel in the centre of town (drastically better location, private bathroom) for 5 euro more. You get the vibe here that your an unwelcome stranger in someone else's home & other opinions validate this. Don't bother.

Ah yes, we remember Lucy and her friends! We saw this review coming. Lucy is only telling half the story so I shall fill in the gaps and it might make more sense to you. I�ll start from the beginning though, it�s a good story. They turned up Friday night about 17.00. 4 girls who all seemed perfectly decent young students taking a weekend off from their studies in Lyon. A lift from Les Bossons station is offered on the website but Lucy and her friends did not ask for this. In fact when they first called for directions, they were already in a car getting a lift. Myself and my girlfriend were going out to a bar that evening. We thought they might enjoy it too so we invited them along and offered them a lift into town. They had to meet a friend so left for town earlier than us and took the train. I walked them to Taconnaz station to make sure they found it OK. We met up in the bar and had a good time. They met another 2 guys who were staying elsewhere. I offered to give everyone a lift home in my minibus (even their friends). They asked if their friends could come back to the chalet to use the hot tub too. I said they could, why wouldn�t I, they seemed like good kids. They had all been drinking a bit so I impressed on them several times and so did my girlfriend that rules apply concerning the hot tub. Firstly, shower before you get in, secondly, no noise. It was late and I try to respect my neighbours. Lastly, when finished in the hot tub, it is imperative to put the cover securely back on. It costs a fortune to heat a hot tub in a ski resort and a cover left off means costly heat going straight into nowhere. They didn�t make too much noise but the surprise came when I woke up to make their breakfast. The cover was not put back on the tub, there were soaking towels littered around the garden, hot tub and entrance area, and someone had taken it upon themselves to come upstairs and invade our private kitchen eating a substantial amount of our food. The kitchen window was open so the house was freezing, there was cutlery left stuck in opened cheese in the fridge, they had taken the lids of soups and sauces and just left them like that. There was burnt toast just laying around, an untold amount of food had been stolen. There was also a towel jammed in the entrance room door so the whole downstairs was cold too. They also helped themselves to our linen supply and we found 10 soaking towels when they left (we gave them all towels when they arrived too). 3 of them came up for breakfast quite late and I expressed my disappointment. They apologized but of course denied all knowledge. They were asleep and knew nothing. I quickly realized that they weren�t really taking me very seriously and I got the impression that they thought it was all a bit of a giggle. This angered me so I gave them an ultimatum. The people responsible offered me an explanation and an apology, otherwise they could all leave my house. Later on they did come up with a sort of explanation and did indeed apologise. I accepted their apologies but they decided they wanted to pay and leave and find accommodation elsewhere. I did not ask them to leave. They said they felt uncomfortable at the chalet as they had abused my trust and hospitality. They weren�t wrong there. They asked if I could give them a lift into town with their bags which I gladly did. Summing up, this was a bunch of youngsters from privileged backgrounds. I went out of my way to try to make their stay more enjoyable. I offered them lifts, offered them bikes to get about, invited them out for a drink. They repaid this by dumping on me from a great height and stealing from me. They are obviously angry with me that I held them accountable for their actions and hence this review on TA. This is probably the first time these spoilt young people have been asked to account for themselves. Don�t be put off by this review, you are always welcome at Chalet Les Frenes if you are a decent respectful person. And Lucy, if you read this, I hope you learn from your mistakes. Grow up and take some responsibility for your actions, treat people with respect and life will be kinder to you. Don�t take advantage of people then write a less than truthful account of it in the public domain.

3rd Nov 2011

The hostel we were staying in itself is fine. There were four of us and we were given a four bed room with a private bathroom and windows with a view of Sacre Cour. Breakfast is good. What really lets this hostel down is the location. Being on the other side of Montmartre means you pretty much want to take the metro everywhere, and this has never ever been the case for me in Paris before. Aside from this, the hostel had everything we needed for a fun weekend in Paris.

Carpe Noctem Original, Budapest, Hungary
21st Oct 2011

Carpe is the most homely hostel we have been to, but at the same time this hostel ensures you experience the best, funnest and craziest bar crawls, booze cruises, karaoke and dress up nights you will have in Europe. The staff are awesome and thanks to these amazing people you get the entire Budapest experience - fantastic day trips, awesome nights out, home cooked meals, a clean hostel in a beautiful building. We'll be back soon. Do yourself a favour and stay at Carpe!

Hostel Brikette, Positano, Italy
8.7
23rd Aug 2011

Great hostel, fun staff, fantastic vibe in a beautiful place.

Hostel Brikette, Positano, Italy
9.0
21st Aug 2011

heaps of fun, really good vibe to meet heaps of other travellers. Staff are really fun and incredibly helpful, they organise nights out. Cheap drinks at the bar, amazing terrace overlooking the water. Twelve bed dorm was fun. Showers are a bit annoying but doesn't matter. Stay here if you're looking to meet lots of great people and have some fun. Would highly recommend the day trip the hostel recommended to Capri.

Paraga Beach Hostel, Mykonos, Greece
2.0
3rd Aug 2011

This place is filthy. We were shown our 2 person 'bungalow' and 5 mins later we were out of there. We have stayed in hostels all across Europe and never have we seen anything like this. The room was hot, no powerpoint, smelt like dead bodies. Don't start me on the communal bathrooms. If I had had to have done the trek up the hill over the cliff after a night at Cavo or Paradise I would have broken an ankle. Do yourself a favour, stay at Paradise Beach-still basic but cheap,clean and all you need

Paraga Beach Hostel, Mykonos, Greece
2.0
1st Aug 2011

So dirty. So, so dirty.

Villa Pelekanos, Santorini, Greece
9.0
27th Jul 2011

We were incredibly impressed with our stay at Villa Pelekanos. For hostel prices we received a private room with a cute balcony, air-conditioning, fridge and private bathroom - all very welcome luxuries. The hotel has a nice pool which we really appreciated. The location means you either have to brave the crowded buses, but if you get a quad bike like we did, getting around the island is fun and easy. Would definitely stay here next time we're in Santorini, we'll be back soon!