• England, Male, 18-24
8.0
7th Dec 2013

I booked a night at Palmers Lodge - Swiss Cottage over a weekend trip to London for a close friend's birthday. On securing a place in a nine bed mixed room I had a little trepidation about security, having never stayed in a hostel before, but Swiss Cottage allayed that. The staff at reception were helpful if a little solemn, the bathrooms and lockers perfectly serviceable. Despite being kept awake by a loud snorer in my dorm, I didn't mind at all. A great quick fix: I'd definitely stay again.

• England, Mixed Group, 18-24
Metro Hotel, London, England
8.0
8th Jun 2011

My friend and I arrived an hour late due to a concert but the one member of staff we encountered was very amicable. The double room we booked for a night was small but comfortable to sleep in, with tolerable street noise, and we were pleasantly surprised by its ensuite bathroom. Breakfast mainly consisted of bread, cake and biscuits - a little sugar heavy but nevertheless satisfying. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Metro if you're looking for a functional place to stay for a night or two.