Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 65

NewGrange Lodge

Newgrange, Ireland

We are two adult women who booked a bed in a dorm room. But as luck would have it, the dorm room was taken by French school boys, so the hostel staff gave us a private room at dorm room prices. Loved it! NewGrange Lodge is clean, new, modern, and has warm rooms and hot showers. (We were there in November.) The staff is friendly and knowledgable. Breakfast was way beyond the usual cereal and toast of most hostels. Very conveniently located just across the road from New Grange. Recommended.

The good: The manager is friendly. The way the kitchen table is arranged makes interacting with other guests natural, so it's easy to get to know people. The showers work well and are hot. The hostel is within easy walking distance of town. The bad: the building is old and although freshly painted, it just needs a complete redo. The six bed female dorm is small with not much room for luggage or movement. And hooks are definitely needed in the rooms so the guests can hang their clothes up.

Cashel Hostel

Cashel, Ireland

Although my first impression of Ike the manager was not positive, he turned out to be quite friendly and helpful. The 5 bed female dorm is a good size, not too crowded. The kitchen is clean, bright and modern, but no breakfast is provided. Unfortunately the showers have a knob that must be pushed in constantly to make the water flow. That means you either freeze while soaping up or you wash with one hand. There is no parking, so you must feed the meters on the street. Easy walk to town.

Dear Guest, Thank you for your review, i would like to state that our Manager Icke is indeed an exceptional individual in which our guests do not realise manages all three sectors of our businesses, Hostel, B&B and Apartments, whilst in the process accumulating 60+hours work per week. Regarding our parking we have it free Monday - Saturday 5pm - 10am and Sunday - Free all Day, We look forward to having you once again as a valued guest within our establishment. Kind regards PJ Quinlan

Kenmare Failte Hostel

Kenmare, Ireland

Good news: The owner is friendly. Although this is an older building, it has been completely renovated and modernized inside. The kitchen and bathrooms are new and sparkling clean. The 4 bed female dorm room is extra large with plenty of space for luggage and moving around. Located on the main street of town. Bad news: No parking space provided, must park on street. The showers have a knob that gives about one minute of hot water when pressed then cuts off. Have to keep pressing the knob.

Paddy's Palace Killarney

Killarney, Ireland

Christina and the other staff were very helpful and friendly. Located within easy walk of nearly everything. If you're driving, there are plenty of free parking places at the Cathedral which is only a short walk away. Because we stayed two nights, we got a free Ring of Kerry Tour on a bus. Unfortunately the Wi Fi does not work. The place could use a good cleaning. When I put away the glasses, I noticed a film of dust on the shelf.

Killarney Railway Hostel

Killarney, Ireland

Very convenient location. There are parking spaces which is very helpful to guests who are driving. Good WiFi in lobby. I would suggest putting a removable piece of acrylic over the skylight in the winter time in the Kangroo room because even though the heat was on, it was cold in that room. I think all the heat escaped through the skylight.

Generally this is a good hostel, but two improvements would make it much better. First it needs free Wi Fi which most hostels now offer. Second it should offer a free breakfast, also usually available at most hostels.

Portree Hostel - Waterford City

Waterford, Ireland

I was there off season in the winter. I really appreciated the stove that kept the common areas very warm. The hostel was clean and well run. Enjoyed my stay.

This hostel is in an older building so it doesn't look sparkling clean or new, but staff does clean it regularly. The staff was very nice and helpful and the other guests were friendly. My only complaint was reguarding heat in winter. I was there in Dec and the heat only came on for short periods in the evening.

This is a wonderful hostel, one of the best I've stayed in. The hostel host was so helpful assisting me in finding beautiful scenic drives. The hostel is very clean and looks good as new. Lots of hot water, a great kitchen, and my room had an ensure bathroom. The location in beautiful Connemara is amazing. I highly recommend this hostel.

The Galway City Hostel

Galway, Ireland

I have one positive thing to say about this hostel, and that is that the staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. One of the staff guys even carried my heavy suitcase up the flight of stairs when I asked about an elevator. However other than that I was disappointed. When I arrived the main hallway smelled of urine which seemed to be coming form the ladies wc! In the water closet there was a sink and soap for hand washing but nothing to dry hands. Small kitchen left a mess by guests.

Rainbow Hostel Doolin

Doolin, Ireland

Very friendly and accommodating owner. He made us fell like family guests, not just customers. Loved the slide show. Thanks so much.

Rowan Tree Hostel

Ennis, Ireland

Had a wonderful stay during Trad Festival weekend. Thanks so much.

Downtown Washington Hostel

Washington DC, USA

The hostel was very clean. Shoes must be left at entrance to avoid tracking in dirt. All the staff were very friendly and efficient, especially David. A clean kitchen is available, but also the convenient take out pizza/salads place next door is open until 11pm or midnight. On street parking seems to be no problem on weekends but is limited to two hours during week. My room had a good window air conditioner but some rooms were warmer.

Our car was broken into and robbed while it was parked in the hostel parking lot at the bottom of the hill. If that lot will remain the only place to park for the night, then it needs to be enclosed within a secure fence.

Totters

Caernarfon, Wales

I've stayed in many hostels, and this is perhaps the cleanest. I would highly recommend it.

A new clothes dryer is needed. The present one does not get the clothes dry.

Abbey Tourist Hostel

Ennis, Ireland

This hostel could be beautiful, but it is in poor condition with holes (covered with plywood) in the floor and walls. Needs some major structural improvements without destroying the beauty of the old building.

Eden Hill Holiday Hostel

Sligo, Ireland

Very clean and well run. Of the many hostels I've stayed in, this is the only one where fire exits were pointed out to me.