Nomads Queenstown

Queenstown, New Zealand

Compared to the other hostels I've stayed at in New Zealand, this is definitely one of the best. It's huge and more like a hotel, but it has a big kitchen, lots of bathrooms, and is in an excellent location.

• 5th May 2014

YHA Wanaka Purple Cow

Wanaka, New Zealand

Huge, clean kitchen, and decent dorm rooms. Close to the grocery store and movie theatre. Definitely one of the nicer YHA's I've stayed at. Would recommend!

• 28th Apr 2014

Downtown Backpackers

Wellington, New Zealand

This hotel is just 'okay.' The pro is that it's centrally located (it's right across the street from the train). The biggest downsides for me were the lack of communal bathrooms. Although having an ensuite can be a plus, when you're in an 8-bed dorm waiting for your turn, it sucks. Also, the rooms are very dated and the kitchen was filthy.

• 22nd Apr 2014

YHA National Park Backpackers & Climbing Wall

Tongariro National Park, New Zealand

Overall, great hostel; close to Tongario Crossing, comfortable beds, and big kitchen! You can also rent hiking boots and outdoor wear for a small fee.

• 20th Apr 2014

The Station Backpackers

Auckland, New Zealand

The staff was nice and the place was clean.. but the place kinda felt empty when we were there. Most of the people on our floor seemed to be living there long-term and weren't travelling, which meant there wasn't a lot of space to put stuff in the room. The kitchen was was great - really clean and free spices and pasta for you to use. Bathroom were also clean, but very small. For one night it's fine, but I wouldn't recommend staying any longer.

• 11th Apr 2014

Discovery Melbourne

Melbourne, Australia

For a massive hostel, the hostel is pretty good (if you don't factor in the state of the kitchen). It has a lot of amenities, and even the 16-dorm room is a decent size. My only complaint is how dirty the kitchen is. There is food, dirty pots and pans everywhere, and birds flying around. I saw staff in there constantly trying to keep it clean, so I suppose they're doing their best... but you could find a better place to stay.

• 14th Mar 2014

Blue Mountains Backpacker Hostel

Blue Mountains, Australia

Overall the hostel was great! Clean, big kitchen, and decent sized rooms. The location was also good, and close to the grocery store. My only complaint is the beds - they shake like crazy whether you're on the bottom or top.

• 6th Mar 2014
  • Globetrotter

Emily, We are so happy you enjoyed your overall stay at BMBH. We have taken your feedback about the beds into consideration and will be tightening up the nuts and bolts for our dormitory guests. Be sure to visit us again and recommend us to your friends. It was a pleasure having you. Safe travels, BMBH

Lub d Bangkok Siam Square

Bangkok, Thailand

AMAZING HOSTEL! Definitely one of the best ones I've ever stayed in. I was originally at the Siam Square location but was moved because of the riots. The facilities here are amazing, the bathrooms are SO clean and huge, and although I didn't go on them, I've heard the weekly pub crawls are great too. The staff is extremely helpful too! Would definitely stay here again.

• 21st Feb 2014

The Mad Monkey Siem Reap

Siem Reap, Cambodia

By far one of my FAVOURITE hostels in all of SEA! The pool and rooftop bar are amazing! I stayed in the dorms, which were okay, but if there's more than two of you, it's about the same price to get a private room and would definitely be worth it. You'll still meet people at the roof top bar and pool and the rooms looked really big! The food in the restaurant is pricey, but it's nice to have the option. People from other hostels come to the roof top bar to drink at night though - it's that good!

• 19th Feb 2014

Aqua Resort

Sihanoukville, Cambodia

This place is WEIRD. The pool is nice on a hot day, but only stay here if there's absolutely no other place available, especially if you're looking to meet people. It's definitely not a backpacker place at all. It's also located down a very dark street with NO lights at night. The room is a decent size and the staff is friendly enough, but overall the clientele is a bit sketchy.

• 15th Feb 2014

The Mad Monkey

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

I love this hostel!! Personally I think the one in Siem Reap is better, but overall definitely cannot complain about this one. The facilities were amazing, the dorm rooms were spacious and very clean, and the food was fairly priced. The service in the restaurant is pretty slow, but it's clear all the staff really love their job, which was really nice to see. The roof top bar is also packed every night - great place to meet people! Would definitely stay here again.

• 13th Feb 2014

Sihome Backpackers Hostel

Vientiane, Laos

Although I only stayed here one night (I was passing through on my way to Cambodia) but really enjoyed my stay here! Yes there are better hostels out there, but compared to most of the places I stayed in Laos, this place was heaven. Comfortable, clean rooms, free breakfast, and lots of common space. For $7 a night, it's definitely worth the money.

• 12th Feb 2014

Easy Go Hostel

Vang Vieng, Laos

I originally booked a dorm room, but was moved because one of the staff thought my sister and I would be more "comfortable" in a private room. I soon realized why. The dorm room and bathroom was very, very dirty, and you have to walk down broken steps to even get to it. The common room consists of one table area, so if you're looking to meet new people, this isn't the place. I also think I got bed bugs here. I understand it's the travellers that bring them, but still - check your sheets!

• 8th Feb 2014

Deejai Backpacker

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Overall I really enjoyed this hostel. Our room was a little dirty, but I understand that comes with the territory of staying in a hostel in SEA. The facilities were great, and the pool was AMAZING! The downside? I'm pretty confident I got bed bugs from this hostel. I can't be certain, and I understand that it's the travellers that bring them - not the hostel. That said, it's definitely something to keep in mind... check your sheets!

• 6th Feb 2014

Spicypai Backpackers

Pai, Thailand

By far one of my favourite hostels I've ever been to! It has an amazingly "treehouse" style common room, airy and decent sized dorms, and is surrounded by amazing scenery. Although its situated a little out of town (8 min walk max) the views make it well worth it. Great place to meet other travellers!

• 23rd Oct 2013

Spicythai Backpackers

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Absolutely LOVED this hostel! The staff was amazing, and it's a great place to meet people! I booked a cooking class, transportation to Pai, airport transfers, and a trek through the hotel and it was all amazing. The only downside is the location -- you have to take a tuk tuk to get into the main part of town. Although its only 20 baht, it definitely adds up.

• 16th Oct 2013

BB Hostel Krabi Ao Nang

Krabi Ao Nang, Thailand

Overall the place is clean and you're allowed to use the pool for free, which is obviously an added bonus. My problem with this hostel is its setup. I literally looks and smells like a hospital, and is in a basement. It is also extremely hard to find (no one knows it) - make sure you say Best Western (there are two in the area so clarify which one). I will say though that the staff was very kind. They upgraded my friend and I for free to a private room.

• 8th Oct 2013

Pak-Up Hostel

Krabi, Thailand

By far one of the nicest, cleanest and coolest setup hostels I've been to yet in Asia. Close enough to Kao San Road (5 minute walk) but far enough away from the noise. I stayed in the 20 person dorms with a friend and we were shocked at what a decent sleep we got. The setup is excellent -- is sectioned off into little compartments of four separated by a screen) and is very clean, with excellent security and huge lockers.

• 6th Oct 2013

Ringside

Koh Phangan, Thailand

I have mixed feelings about this hostel. It's nice enough, and I'm sure when its full moon or half moon is very lively, but when my friend and I went it was dead (as was the entire area). If you don't ride motorbikes it's extremely expensive to get around. The staff is also a little bit too touchy sometimes, to the point that's uncomfortable.

• 30th Sep 2013

NapPark Hostel at Khao San

Bangkok, Thailand

Amazing hostel!! So clean, excellent facilities, and extremely close to Kao San Road. I stayed in the 20-person dorms with a friend and was shocked at how well setup it is. Although its technically one big room, bunk beds are sectioned off into twos (the beds are massive and very comfortable), and separated by screens. Would definitely stay here again!

• 27th Sep 2013
  • Globetrotter

Amazing hotel at an amazing price! The rooftop restaurant serves amazing food as well, at a very reasonable price! The only downside is having to pay for wifi.

• 9th Sep 2013

Hanoi Blue Lotus Hotel

Hanoi, Vietnam

I really enjoyed my stay at Blue Lotus! Great value for the money (I stayed in a 4-person room), the staff was very friendly, and went out of their way to make my friends and I feel comfortable. It's the perfect place for couples or families!

• 17th Aug 2013

NgocThao GuestHouse

Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam

My boyfriend and I LOVED our stay at the guesthouse. The staff was so friendly, our room was the perfect size, and the location was unbeatable - thank you for making our stay in Saigon so great!

• 6th Aug 2013

Backpackers in Jeju City Center

Jeju Island, South Korea

Overall, I really enjoyed my stay at your hostel. The only suggestion I have is to have someone around more frequently in the common room. Often I wanted to ask directions to get to a place, but I could not find a staff member. Even having a print out with directions on how to get to all of Jeju's major attractions would be very helpful! Also on a sidenote for future guests, this hostel is perfect for couples, but if you're in a group, you may want to look elsewhere - there is no common room!

• 5th Jun 2013

Pobi Hostel

Busan, South Korea

I only have good things to say about this hotel! I arrived at 12:30AM on my first night, and the staff kindly waited up for me and my friends. I was also in a party of 7, and the staff placed us all in the same dorm room. Their English was excellent, the free breakfast was great (make your own eggs, toast, and coffee), and the location was less than two minutes from Hyundai Beach! All in all, an EXCELLENT hotel!

• 16th May 2013

Yesinn @CAUSEWAY BAY

Hong Kong, Hong Kong

Overall, really liked the hostel, and really appreciated being upgrade to a 3-person room (originally booked a 9 bed dorm). However, the bathroom situation is not ideal (1 bathroom/toilet for a whole floor) and the showers weren't ideal - a curtain to cover your stuff when you're showering so your stuff doesn't get wet would be great! Other than that though, overall really enjoyed our day. Great location and easy to get to the airport!

• 28th Feb 2013
  • Globetrotter

Nice hostel overall, and was very happy about the free room upgrade! Thanks again!

• 26th Feb 2013
  • Globetrotter

The layout of the hostel was really cool and the location was great; nice and close to the subway and within walking distance to lots of must-do sights. The major downside to this hostel was the lack of security (the lockers were not very good at all), bathrooms (one toilet and sink for 10 people is far from ideal),and the staff weren't very friendly or helpful. That said, I realize this is a hostel and you can't expect 5-star service... but at the very least, the staff could be nicer.

• 24th Feb 2013

Frendz Resort Boracay

Boracay Island, Philippines

Absolutely LOVED this hotel!! The staff was amazing, it's 3 minute walk to the beach, and if you get up early enough, you can even score a comfy lounger on the beach! The only downside to the hostel was the cleanliness in the bathrooms (stayed in a private room) and there were quite a few ants... but other than that, LOVED it!

• 10th Feb 2013

Casamso Boracay

Boracay Island, Philippines

I stayed in Casmo one night, and spent the rest of my trick at Frendz. Although the two hostels are connected and basically the same, I personally preferred my room at Frendz because it came with a porch. If that doesn't matter to you though, and Frendz is full, definitely stay at Casamo. You have access to all the same amenities at Frendz guests do, and the room is a decent size!

• 9th Feb 2013
  • Globetrotter

Considering it's Tokyo, one of the most expensive cities in the world, you really do get value for your money. The free breakfast was awesome (it's basic - toast, etc., but definitely nice if you're on a budget), and although the rooms were definitely on the smaller side (I was in a 8-bed mixed dorm), the staff and atmosphere make up for it.

• 29th Sep 2012