Reviews: maggiedickmann6092

Location: USA, Gender: Female, Age: 26

Andes Hostal Serena Centro

La Serena, Chile

The owner is really nice, but I only ever heard him speak Spanish. The atmosphere was a bit lacking- there's not a good, comfortable place to hang out really. Outside are some chairs, but it's poorly lit and downstairs there's a lounge area with one couch and the "den" smells strongly of incense. The hostel is central enough to La Serena, but a ways to walk to the beach. It could be cleaner, too, but I've seen much worse. The price is fair and it includes breakfast.

Palm Tree Hostel Medellin

Medellin, Colombia

Staff was EXCELLENT, facilities and location and atmosphere were all fine, too. Unfortunately the dorm was a bit cramped and one guy had an old wet towel that made the whole room smell bad :(

• 11th Mar 2014

Casa Elemento

Minca, Colombia

This is located about 20-30min by motorbike outside of Minca. Location is beautiful, but the atmosphere was a bit lacking. I think it was just the time we were there-- staff and volunteers outnumbered the guests and it made it kind of uncomfortable. It´s too bad the pool was unfinished when we were there. The staff were all nice and accommodating enough on their own, it was when they were all together that it felt like a clique

El Viajero Cartagena Hostel

Cartagena, Colombia

Location is great, but it can be a bit loud with the bar. Staff was OK- would help if explicitly asked and sometimes seemed annoyed. Though they also may have been understaffed. Beds were comfortable enough but the top bunk is really high and without a guard rail. I was afraid of falling.

Hostel Sue Candelaria

Bogota, Colombia

I was very happy with Hostel Sue. I keep extending my stay and they were so accommodating! In La Candelaria, the location couldn't be better. Only "complaint"- walls are pretty thin. I'd definitely return, though!

One World Lodge

Cape Town, South Africa

Trevor and Matt were nice and helpful. The hostel was small and quiet, but lacked any real atmosphere and was a bit expensive for what it was. It would have been nice to have something included (ie free wifi, breakfast, towels, etc). Wifi was really frustrating, too. Kicked me off every 15 minutes.

• 4th Feb 2014
  • Globetrotter

Thank you for your comment. Towels are freely available on request. As for Wifi, unfortunately this is out of our control but if guests report having problems connecting we gladly assist them and we cannot afford to make this free. We are a very small establishment and our rates are very comparable to other hostels and even cheaper than most. We find your comment a bit unfair for the kind of hostel we are. We hope you enjoyed your stay here, hope to see you again

Shoestrings Airport Lodge

Johannesburg, South Africa

I was very happy with my stay at Shoestring. The airport is very close and Rob kindly offered free transport to and fro. Included breakfast was great. The only suggestions- screens on the windows or a fan in the room (I got lots of mosquito bites), a shower head on the bathtub in the private room. Everything else was great; I'd definitely be back. Thank you :)

• 30th Jan 2014

Timur Guesthouse

Kota Bharu, Malaysia

Mat was really helpful and friendly. :)

Transit Point Bed And Breakfast

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Great location, awesome staff, fastest wifi in Asia, best shower I've had in 3 months. Building was secure, but no lockers. Dorm was a bit cramped, but I will definitely be back. :)

TR3ATS Guest House

Cebu, Philippines

Only stayed for one night to catch a flight, but the staff were very nice and friendly. Unfortunately the common area and kitchen were closed for renovations, so it was hard to meet people. Also, the beds are children's beds, so they are a bit small and uncomfortable. Fast wifi and good showers, though!

Islands Leisure Pad

Dumaguete, Philippines

I was a bit wary at first because Island Leisure had no reviews, but I was pleasantly surprised. It's more of a modest hotel with a spa option, so it's not the best place for meeting people. The staff were very accommodating, though. Suggestions: give approx cost for a trike (shouldn't be more than P15) or taxi to the hotel; give a top sheet for bed (only had bottom sheet). It was very clean and the aircon was great! Thank you :)

Our Melting Pot

Manila, Philippines

Hot showers, very friendly staff, and fast wifi (although it's a bit spotty in the rooms). OMP is in Makati, which is a bit far from daytime tourist activities, but most days there is a free tour and they help with jeepnees. There was a cool night market across the street with good food and live music. I'd stay here again :)

Excellent location and great street food just around the corner. Staff is friendly, but not really involved with guests. It'd be nice if there were tours or more info for what to do, but it may have been there and I missed it. Wifi is spotty in the rooms, but that just forces you to be more social. Service for coffee/breakfast is a little slow. I'd stay here again definitely. :)

Peking Yard Hostel

Beijing, China

Rooftop terrace is really nice, but closes at 11pm and the common room closes at 1. Staff are really nice and accommodating. There's a strict no outside food/drink policy and what they sell is 2x price for 1/2 the size. Wifi only works in the common room, but t just forces you to be social so it's not that big of a deal. I recommend the Great Wall tour :)

J-Hoppers was great! Comfortable beds and nice showers. Located very close to a subway station and loads of good restaurants. Staff was excellent, super friendly, and spoke English very well. There are plenty of suggested activities available and the hostel has Japanese cultural exchange nights, free walking tours, and more. The wifi was a little spotty in the common room in the basement, but that's my only "complaint."

Thank you for your comment! We all are so glad you liked our activities and had a good time in Osaka! Sorry for the wifi access:( Hope to see you again! Thank you for staying with us:)

Nui. is great! The bar downstairs really helps in meeting people. The beds were comfortable and it's really close to the Kuramae station. It is a bit far from the nightlife areas of Tokyo (Shibuya and Roppongi), but easy to get to for day time activities like Asakusa temple. I'd stay here again.

Yuzan Guest House

Nara, Japan

Yuzan was great! I would definitely stay here again. It's a pretty relaxing atmosphere. The owner is super friendly. The only thing I'd say is the directions from the JR station are good, except you need to turn LEFT after exiting the Nikka hotel (it doesn't specify and I guessed "right." Oops). It's very cozy, but not crowded.

I stayed here for one night when I came to Tokyo, then returned the next week for 2 nights. I hadn't made a reservation and they were fully booked, but they let me stay with at the staff lodgings. Everyone was really nice and helpful and they offer a great meal for just 500¥ every Tuesday.

Galapagos Best Home Stay

Galapagos Islands, Ecuador

It's a bit out if the way from the main part of Puerto Ayora, but it's still a great hostel. Rooms are very nice with kitchenette (incl. microwave!) and a bathroom with a good shower with hot water. Beds are comfy too. Owners are very friendly and Kevin gives a free tour upon arrival. There's no breakfast, but coffee & tea are in the rooms. Minor suggestions: hooks on beds or a towel rack in bathroom; bell or set "office hours" b/c sometimes it was hard to track someone down.

Murali Hostal Airport Guayaquil

Guayaquil, Ecuador

Staff were friendly, place was clean. No sink/mirror in bathroom attached to dorm. I was only there for the night because I had an 8hr layover, and I left before breakfast, so I can't speak to that or to the "atmosphere" but it was really close to the airport, which was nice.

Hostel Bambu Mini

Puerto Iguazu, Argentina

Staff very friendly and knowledgeable, breakfast was decent, showers were hot w/good pressure, beds were comfortable. There weren't many guests when I stayed there, so it was pretty quiet and hard to judge "atmosphere", but I had a good time. I'd stay again.

The Ritz by Hostel Inn

Buenos Aires, Argentina

The only good things about this hostel were security and location. I left early because it was so bad. Staff were apathetic at best (with the exception of Mateo- he was good). Hostel was dirty- I dropped something under my bed and I was sticky after retrieving it- and the bathrooms looked like they hadn't been cleaned lately either. There was no hot water. Signs about what to do in BA were out of date. Kitchen was barely functional. Worst hostel I've ever stayed at- and I've stayed at a lot.

Hands down the best hostel I've ever stayed at, and I've stayed at a lot. I was really sad to leave. I'd stay here again in a heartbeat. Pros: STAFF- very friendly & helpful, breakfast was good, beds were comfortable, atmosphere was fun, hostel was secure, big lockers in room, wifi throughout hostel, fast Internet, fun BBQ's, bar in hostel, inexpensive Cons: May run into the door because it's too clean (true story), coffee was less than desirable.

Vibes Hostel

Quito, Ecuador

Staff are very nice, security is good- you have to be let in or out, they don't give out keys. Breakfast was ok- toast, banana, corn flakes, coffee/tea. Rooms are a bit crowded and I had some problems checking out because it was a bit disorganized. Shower was hot, but almost no water pressure. Not sure if I'd stay here again, it wasn't bad, just ok.

please consider for 7 usd a night all the services our friend just mentioned above are way better than average in the whole South America. Maggie please have fun in your next place....

Hootananny Hostel

Our bedroom door was broken and didn't lock. There was a sign for at least 5 days that said it would be fixed "today." You can't consume food/drink purchased outside of the hostel on the ground floor, but even if you could, there's no fridge/kitchen for the guests. Wifi is free, but there are no general use computers. Dorm was nice, with individual crates under the beds to keep your things locked up. Check-in wasn't until 2PM, which is annoying if you get in to Paris at 7AM like I did...

Hi, Thank you for your review and for giving us your honest feedback. Unlikely most hostel in Paris, we have a team of cleaners to change your linen for you when you arrive and when you check out. The time for the check in is developed so our housekeepers can do their job and clean the place for all of you arriving and leaving. We provide a free walking tour in the morning if you do not wish to wait, free breakfast upon arrival, two locker facilities for your luggage and free wifi should you need to browse online. Unfortunately our internet cafe is not free (like the wifi) and we need to maintain the equipment, so there's a small charge of 1.50 euro to use it. Because we have more than 360 guests everyday, due to the French health and safety rules, we can not have a kitchen for all of you to operate. We offer a restaurant instead with 10% discount to all those staying with us and a special meal deal for our backpackers that's only 6euros p/day! We had some issues with some of the electronic doors and we were waiting for the pieces to be delivered in order to fix it. I'm sure you can understand that these things are unpredictable and it takes some time. We are happy though, that overall you enjoyed your stay and that you have liked some of our facilities. We really hope that you will come back one day soon and experience in full all the great things we offer to all of you staying with us. ;-)

Thessaloniki Studios Arabas

Thessaloniki, Greece

This hostel is almost too relaxed. Half of the time the guy wasn't at reception. I was lucky that he was there when I arrived, but he wasn't around when other people came. There was NO BREAKFAST even though the site says there is. No lockers, the front door was always unlocked. It's easy to pass by because there's just a sign barely hanging on a fence. Look at a map before you go. I wouldn't stay here again. The staff were really nice, and the rooms are nice and big, though.

Breakfast: bread, coffee/tea, juices, lots of cereals Staff: Friendly, polite enough Location: A little out of the way to walk, but there is a shuttle every 15min from the hostel to the nearest tram Dislikes: There was always a line at reception; the maps they gave weren't very helpful

Albareda Youthhostel

Barcelona, Spain

Breakfast: light-- toast, coffee/tea, corn flakes Staff: Mostwere very helpful, but the older guy barely speak English and always said he had to wait for the woman to help us Kind of expensive, but that may have just been the season

By far my favorite hostel. It was small enough that you get to know people, but big enough to have a good time. The bartender Nuno was great, but so were all the other staff. Breakfast was delicious too-- they had scrambled eggs! Location was great. No complaints. I'll stay here again for sure

Amsterdam Hostel Sarphati

Amsterdam, Netherlands

I slept on the bottom bunk and hit my head at least 15 times in the 3 days I was there; the hostel was small, especially breakfast area. When I got there I was told I had to wait 30min or so for my room to be cleaned, after 1hr they checked me in, but right after a guy came in to clean my room. The only phone was at a cafe around the corner and it was closed on Sundays. The guy at reception- Frank- would help, but he seemed exhasperated and annoyed. Location was good, though