Bed&Breakfast Empire 1970

Trieste, Italy

Nice guy who runs it. Gave me a map and showed me where I could get some good pizza when I asked about it. Also helped with things like which bus to catch. Pretty good location once you figure out where it is. Spacious room. Would stay again!

Hostel 24

Ljubljana, Slovenia

The receptionist, Eva, is super friendly! And the location is pretty good. The room was a little cramped and I had trouble with getting the internet to work. The reception is also not 24hrs (although no curfew). I'd stay again.

The Aquarium Youth Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

Really cheap and right next to Keleti (East) station, so good if you would like that. Only 1 power outlet for the whole room (3 bed, although I was alone). Bathrooms and kitchen were quite dirty - please address this! (Bedroom and hallways were clean). I'd stay again if these things were attended to, especially as it is so cheap.

Hostel Blues

Bratislava, Slovakia

2 power outlets in a 6 bed room and net wasn't working in room (they did say they'd call the technician to fix it). Pretty good place though - really helpful at explaining everything to me about the city on arrival. Nice bar/lobby area.

A&T Holiday Hostel Wien

Vienna, Austria

Terrible internet- none in rooms and hardly works in the lobby area. It's nice and new at least, and clean until they forgot to clean my room. Don't stay here if you want to be central. Apart from those things it's a decent place.

• 13th Jun 2013

Blue Danube Hostel

Budapest, Hungary

Perfect location if you want quirky pubs. The manager is awesome - he spent a lot of time on our arrival explaining the city to us and what to go and see, which was informative even for someone who has spent a lot of time in BP before. An apartment, so fully equipped kitchen etc. bathroom could have been a little bit cleaner. We had a great stay.

• 11th Jun 2013

City Backpacker - Hostel Biber

Zurich, Switzerland

It wasn't the nicest room but it was okay. Shelves/hooks in the showers PLEASE!! nowhere to put your things. Be aware that even the reception is several floors up and there is no lift. I think it would also be more realistic if they included the hire of sheets in their price. We asked why it wasn't included, and they said they wanted to give guests the opportunity to save money if they had their own gear. This is fair enough, but it's a little misleading when you look at the room price.

• 6th Jun 2013

Was really good.

• 30th May 2013

Generator Hostel Copenhagen

Copenhagen, Denmark

Showers could be bigger, they might want to offer to hire towels rather than say you should buy them. But this place was seriously great - all new and one of the nicest places I have stayed at.

• 28th May 2013

Hostel Van Gogh

Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hostel is pretty good. I was trvelling with someone who was over 40, however, and upon arrival we were told that he was too old to be in a dorm room, bevause it would be "inconvenient" for any young woman in the room. This is both bullshit and not mentioned intheir email nor on the hostels.com site where I looked up the place. I argued and they finally put him and his partner into a private 2 bed with no extra charge, but I am really unhappy about the experience.

Lybeer Travellers' Hostel