Location England, Gender Male, Age 35

Ponsonby Backpackers, Auckland, New Zealand
7.7
4th Jul 2013

Only stayed for one night but the place seemed nice enough, we stayed outside in the adjoining building so we had to go outside to get to the bathroom.

Crash Palace, Rotorua, New Zealand
2nd Jul 2013

Great place to stay, I've stayed here once before and I would stay again. The staff are really friendly and helpful and you have all of the facilities you could need here! Nice and clean too.

we love repeat business! thanks so much for coming back mate glad you had a great time safe travels to you brother.

The Mousetrap Backpackers, Paihia, New Zealand
30th Jun 2013

Really enjoyed our stay here and I would definitely stay here again. The staff were really helpful and the place was so clean, plus the room was really nice.

Bumbles Backpackers Queenstown, Queenstown, New Zealand
10th Feb 2013

A very nice friendly hostel, all the facilities you need within an easy walk of the town centre

Manor House Backpackers, Dunedin, New Zealand
30th Jan 2013

A really nice friendly hostel, with lovely staff.. The only reason I have marked it down is because I caught the cat peeing in the kitchen sink!!

Mt Cook Lodge & Motels, Mt Cook, New Zealand
29th Jan 2013

Nice place, I would stay here again. A little bit warm in the room but everything else was fine.

Tiki Lodge, Taupo, New Zealand
15th Jan 2013

Very good hostel, I've only marked it down as we were unable to even sit in the hostel after checkout at 10AM... this is not normally the case and you can still have access to the toilets etc... I probably would stay here again, I would just make sure I can leave at 10AM next time...

Thanks for the positive comments - would just like to clarify re: check out times and use of facilities after check out. Some hostels have no control over who can access their communal areas due to their layout (i.e ground level - easy to walk in sites) - which may put guest safety and security at risk. Therefore guests can be under the illusion that this is the "normal" way things operate...(when in fact the hostel operates in the only way it can...) Our communal areas and rooms are located upstairs and key access is required at all times. Once checkout is completed the guest no longer has a key to access these areas (including the facilities) - which makes us a "little different" by operating in a way that is "not normally the case". Motels don't allow access to facilities once you check out and we operate in the same manner ( a decision that wasn't made lightly and was made due to prior experiences/incidents and abuses we have incurred as a result). We are not unreasonable and often do allow those waiting for buses into the communal areas to wait as well as let checked out guests briefly use toilets (outside of cleaning hours) however our staff are not "doormen" and shouldn't be expected to unlock doors all day. Also we do offer FREE luggage storage and there are plenty of cafes nearby, the lakefront, library etc where people can sit during the day and the town operates plenty of toilet facilities also.

Crash Palace, Rotorua, New Zealand
12th Jan 2013

Very enjoyable and friendly hostel, the owners are really helpful I would gladly stay here again

we would love to have you back anytime thanks so much for your kind words hope you have a great trip and amazing 2013 !! safe travels

Peppertree Lodge, Paihia, New Zealand
9th Jan 2013

I thought this was a lovely friendly hostel, and it has everything you need here. I was a little concerned about security though as you can reach in and unlock the door if the window is open! We didn't have any problems mind...

The windows are for ventalation, and if we ensured they could not open then those rooms sure would get very hot, during the day we close them when folk are not about. We do have outside sercurity through the lodge at 11.30pm, and another 3 times during the night before the kitchen etc is re opened at around 6am, we also have on site sercurity that also do at least 3 walk arounds over the period of a night.

Civic Guest House Backpackers Hostel, Townsville, Australia
18th Dec 2012

This is a very nice clean hostel in the middle of town. I recommend you go for the slightly more expensive room as the cheaper on doesn't have any air conditioning and in the summer it far to warm!

Absolute Backpackers, Mission Beach, Australia
17th Dec 2012

Very nice hostel with friendly staff, also loads of free things to do. I would have gladly stayed here longer than one night.

Dougies Backpackers Resort, Port Douglas, Australia
8.0
15th Dec 2012

Really nice friendly staff, I only stayed for one night but had a lovely time. I would stay here again.

Tropic Days Backpackers, Cairns, Australia
12th Dec 2012

Great hostel, Laura is amazingly helpful and friendly! This was the second time I've stayed and I would only choose this place in Cairns!

Beaches of Broome, Broome, Australia
18th Nov 2012

This is the second time I have stayed here and it was really great again this time! Great value with the free breakfast, and the facilities are great! Nice air conditioned room! :D

4th Oct 2012

This is a lovely homely hostel which is really compact and clean, the staff here are really friendly and helpful and even offered me good advice on improving my pancakes (which I made a horrible job of cooking!). I made a mistake on my booking and the staff were able to fix it for me so we had a place to stay.

Melaleuca On Mitchell, Darwin, Australia
7.7
1st Sep 2012

A real party hostel if you love to get drunk most nights! Really great that you can check in at 1AM and the staff were cool... Toilets were a bit nasty and overused with people being sick in the sinks from time to time!!

Thanks for your review Alexander we are pleased that you enjoyed the vibe at our hostel. We will continue to try and improve cleanliness of the bathrooms. During the period that you stayed we did have a cleaner going through the bathrooms between 9pm-midnight. Enjoy your travels

Flashpackers Hervey Bay, Hervey Bay, Australia
29th Jun 2012

I would certainly stay here again as the staff were really helpful, and it is right in the centre of town. Plus you get free tea and milk which is a bonus!

Whitsunday On The Beach, Airlie Beach, Australia
26th Jun 2012

Really great place, friendly staff and they even give you milk for your tea! I only stayed one night but I will go back

Civic Guest House Backpackers Hostel, Townsville, Australia
25th Jun 2012

Seemed like a nice friendly hostel and I would stay here again

Tropic Days Backpackers, Cairns, Australia
17th Jun 2012

Wonderful staff who went out of their way to help us, and really knew there stuff on the best trips to book! The BBQ was fantastic value and had all the important Ozzy meats including; kangaroo, emu and croc. It is a good 15-20 minute walk into town which is fine as it is a nice route and if you don't fancy that then take the free transport and be lazy! I will stay here again in December.

Surf n Sun Beachside Backpackers, Surfers Paradise, Australia
7.4
5th May 2012

Very nice staff and surfboard hire was a big plus. No lockers and the rooms are very basic, however the location is superb and if you want to party the nights out are fantastic!!

Bounce Sydney, Sydney, Australia
9th Dec 2011

I really enjoyed my time here, and met some great people here in this friendly hostel! The loacation was great right next to Central station and the staff were really cool, especially Jess who really helped me out when I was struggling to organise myself to check out and always gave me helpful information!! The only fault I found with the hostel was paying $10 for 5 hours of Internet usage was steep, especially as I was using my own Netbook and Wireless... This might be normal for Australia tho!

Pandora after 80s, Hong Kong, Hong Kong
9.3
3rd Dec 2011

I really enjoyed my stay here and the owner was really cool, he took us out to a nice place to eat and joined us for a beer afterwards in a bar... He is also striving to improve the place by fitting extra showers and upgrading the current one. The bed is quite small but very comfortable and you have everything you need there, also everything is kept really clean and tidy which is very important. The view is amazing. The only bad point was that the door was often left unlocked by some guests!

Olah Hostel, Sao Paulo, Brazil
19th Aug 2011

Really great the second time staying here too, and I would gladly stay again! The staff all remembered me and were just as friendly and helpful as the previous time I stayed... I would gladly stay again in the future too!

Art Hostel Rio, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
8.7
3rd Aug 2011

The cake here is amazing and is always freashly made for breakfast, and the staff are really friendly and helpful. They were able to reccomend some really good tours for us to go on and were always really chatty. The location near the metro is really handy and there are also busses just around the corner. The Internet was only free for 15 min mind, the showers were not hot and some people in the dorms were moved around when new groups came in on the negative side. However I would recommend it

27th Jul 2011

Milda and Ben were wonderful hosts and we felt more like friends than guests staying here! The breakfast really looks like it is shown in the photo and is fantastic! Getting tours was really easy with the connections that Milda has as she works for a top hotel in the area, and knows the best places to visit. The location is the only thing that is not totally perfect however there are regular busses into the centre which takes 30-40 minutes to get to... I would highly recommend staying here!

Alexander and his mother Helga gave us great pleasure to receive them in our home. Special people deserve special treatment. Milda & Ben Kruger

Alpha Hostel - Salvador, Salvador, Brazil
6.7
21st Jul 2011

This is the place for you if you do not mind looking after yourself, emptying the toilet bin and tidying your own room. However if you do not mind that then the room was nice if a bit basic and the air conditioning was really a fan. The breakfast was pretty good and the location in Barra was superb and Daniel and Jonathan were really helpful & spoke fantastic English. One other point of warning was that the corridor leading to our room smelt of urine and even after complaining it was aparrent

Hostel Campo Grande, Campo Grande, Brazil
8.0
13th Jul 2011

I am not sure why this hostel has such bad reviews, ok so it is basic and the area is not that exciting but you are here to see animals in the Pantanal right?? The breakfast is great and the guys at Echological Expoditions (who also run the hostel) are fantastic..... the tour is also really great and is recommended in the Footprint guide I am using! My mother was having problems with her credit card and the guys were really helpfull in solving the issue even though it was not their problem!

Olah Hostel, Sao Paulo, Brazil
10th Jul 2011

The hostel was a really nice place to stay, and the staff were really good fun and helpful. The breakfast was really tasty and offered a good variety... and the computers were really good quality! I will stay here again when I return to SP before I take my flight back to England.

Hostel Park Iguazu, Puerto Iguazu, Argentina
9.0
6th Jul 2011

The staff here were really helpful and tried everything to make our stay better and the tours were really great and extremely good value for money! The only small gripe I have is that getting on a computer was pretty difficult as there was only one for everyone but then I should really bring my own and use the wi fi!

Telmotango Hostel Suite, Buenos Aires, Argentina
1st Jul 2011

I really enjoyed my time here! The breakfast was absolutely fantastic, and the staff were really friendly and helpful! I would recommend this hostel to anyone, the rooms were lovely and warm and even though we were right next to the reception the noise was not a problem and we were not woken up once. We met some really great people here and would stay here again... the only small fault was that the water for the tea could have been warmer but it is not worth marking down for that.

Link Cordoba Hostel, Cordoba, Argentina
9.3
28th Jun 2011

The staff were really helpful and friendly and were constantly trying to improve the hostel to make it the best one in Cordoba! I think once they have finished installing the soap dispensors and the towels in the bathrooms it will be very hard to beat... The one annoyance was that although breakfast is between 8-10 AM it wasn´t ready at 9AM so we had to miss it in order to take an excursion, this left us hungry when we had paid for a B&B.

Landay Hostel, Santiago, Chile
21st Jun 2011

The staff are some of the most helpful + friendly I have come across and that is saying something as I have stayed in some wonderful places! Really very good at speaking English too!

Hi! thank you very much for your comment, we are always pleased to help our guests in anything they need. :D

Hostel Suites Mendoza, Mendoza, Argentina
18th Jun 2011

Very helpful and friendly staff highly recomended