Location: Canada, Gender: Male, Age: 26

Hostel El Encuentro

Guatape, Colombia

I had a great stay here. I'm still staying 3 days past my reservation and don't know when I'll escape the charms of Hostel El Encuentro and Guatape in General. The view here is unbelievable, the town a paradise and there is lots to do. Rent a bike and ride through nature, a kayak and explore the countless lakes, climb the rock, trek to waterfalls. The hostel is comfortable, very social with an incredible staff who make you feel just like your at home with some awesome new frriends

El Dorado International Hostel

San Gil, Colombia

Fabio, Marysol, Sandra, and everyone else make hostel El Dorado an amazing place to stay. Comfy beds (some doubles in dorms) great location, and tons of possible activities make this a great choice for a place to stay in San Gil. I booked for 2 days and spent 6. Hard to make yourself leave. It's close to everything (buses to attractions, great restaurants, cool park) They also have a great farm just outside the city too. The perfect place to stay.

• 23rd Sep 2014

Casa Elemento

Minca, Colombia

A fantastic stay up with this family of travellers. Isolated from the world in the best way with an amazing social atmosphere great food and otherworldly views. Above the clouds and the jungle it provides amazing hiking opportunities and countless places to relax, read, reflect or write. The walk up is not for those out of shape and the moto taxi is not for fearful, but find your way up and it will be worth it. I could have spent a month up here in jungle mountains paradise.

The Dreamer Hostel

Santa Marta, Colombia

Great Resort Hostel Hybrid, I have stayed here three times now and love it every time. Highlights include a wonderful pool bar and restaurant area, and fairly reliable internet facilities. There's also a great tv room and a few guest computers. Comfy hammocks and a guest kitchen too. But above all is the staff, especially Tony. Great activities too and tours. Close to most buses to Tayrona and elsewhere. Luggage storage. Perfect home base.

Mama Waldy Hostel

Cartagena, Colombia

A great small family run hostel in the perfect location for exploring all of cartagena. Close to lots of cheap great food and the always vibrant plaza Trinidad is just down the street. The family will do everything they can to make you feel at home. The rooms are comfortable if not incredibly modern and there's a kitchen and living area including a computer for internet access and an xbox360 for game competitions. One night they even hosted a free tango lesson. You'll have a great time here

• 28th Aug 2014

Manhattan Hostel

New York, USA

I loved this hostel. Friendly staff, big kitchen and common area. Simple but comfortable dorms. Plenty of bathrooms and by far the best value in Manhattan. Would stay here again and again and again. I think it's only going to get better too as they get everything up and running.

• 11th May 2014

7SEAS Backpacker & Cottages

Gili Air, Indonesia

A great stay here with a friendly staff and a comfy bed. It did get hot occasionally but not unbearably so and at the price it's the best value on the island. The pool is a nice touch and the dorms are located perfectly. Only downside of this place is there isn't really a proper common area.

• 22nd Apr 2014

The Happy Mango Tree

Ubud, Indonesia

Very nice common area and a very social atmosphere. Everything is clean and nice. The only real downside of this place were the beds. I was in a top bunk and found the whole bamboo frame shook and moved, and the mattress itself was very very soft. Still I slept well most of the time and had a great time exploring Ubud from here.

• 19th Apr 2014

Venezia Garden

Yogyakarta, Indonesia

I was sick during my stay and spent a lot of time in the hostel. It was very social and comfortable. Great AC in the dorms, friendly staff, decent breakfast. The flatscreen and Ps3 are a definite plus for those who are too sick to do much outside of the hostel. Lots of good restaurants and grocery stores close by and tons of friendly locals met wandering through the little alleys of Yogja. Would stay again for sure. Prices on the tours can be a little deceptive, so be careful.

The Siem Reap Hostel

Siem Reap, Cambodia

Great pool, comfortable , clean and modern dorms, and friendly staff. The atmosphere is decent but not incredible and the food is good but a little overpriced. Still I would love to stay here again.

Hostel Nomads

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

The place was great. The owner knows everything you need to know and will happily share the information. The rooms are spotless and very comfy. I suggest paying the extra for an AC dorm as it's great Ac and only a little more expensive but all the dorms seemed great. The tuk tuk drivers are friendly and useful and it's close to everything you need. Internet works well downstairs but not in all the dorms, though i was told that will soon be changing. Great home base in the Capital.

Thanks for taking the time to review our hostel :) The Internet issue has now been fixed. All rooms get good wifi and the 2nd line will help spread the load during peak usage hours when you're all booking your next hostel online. I will pass the compliment onto our cleaner too :)

Khammany Inn Hostel

Luang Prabang, Laos

Great place to stay with lots of friendly staff and guests. If you can go for the 6 or 8 bed dorm, the bigger ones are nice but it's a lot of people and often people come back very late from bowling. The place runs great day trips to the waterfalls and are always eager to help. I felt very much at home and ended p spending 8 days there in this great city When in Luang Prabang make sure to check out big brother mouse too!

FUN-D Hostel Chiang Rai

Chiang Rai, Thailand

A good place to stay in Chiang Rai if you want a little luxury. It felt like a hostel in western europe and the staff was very friendly, wifi worked well, and everything was spotless. I was alone in my 8 bed dorm both nights which was nice but a little strange. A short walk to the centre of town, and lots of good info about the area at reception. nice chill out area too.

Great stay, friendly staff (though they are always busy because it's a big place.) Great atmosphere, amazign view and location. The mattresses on the ground made me hesitant at first but turned out to be a great plus, if you're lucky you get a big mattress and they're very comfy, felt like a luxury sleepover at a friends place and brought me back to my youth. Can be a bit loud at night but never kept me from sleeping.

Mojito Garden

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Great stay, comfy beds, nice atmosphere and great garden area. Only downside is if people aren't considerate late at night it can be a little loud in the dorms. Still I had a great stay here and would happily stay again.

• 27th Jan 2014

U-Baan Guesthouse

Bangkok, Thailand

Great stay here, the owner is a joy (sorry). Will be coming back anytime I end up in Bangkok. Not central, but in a fantastic real residential neighbourhood while still well connected to the centre. Great atmosphere and very clean and comfortable rooms.

• 23rd Jan 2014

Ram Bhawan Residency

Varanasi, India

Deserves the best hostel in India award and more. One of the three best hostels I have ever stayed in and my travels have been pretty extensive. Dorms are big and comfortable, staff is incredibly friendly, the included breakfast is good and the lunch is just out of this world. Perfect location to explore my favourite city in India, and oasis from the madness outside. Great rooftop cafe with Ganges views. We even had an awesome new years party up on the roof with locals and guests and staff.

• 30th Dec 2013

Mewargarh Palace

Udaipur, India

Great rooftop cafe for hanging out and breakfast, very friendly and helpful staff, comfortable and spotless rooms and great location. Wish I could have stayed longer.

• 13th Dec 2013

Travellers Inn

Mumbai, India

A great home base in Mumbai in a great area to explore. Comfortable dorms with plenty of space and air circulation. Helpful staff and decent wifi. The only thing missing is a proper lounge.

Alobar1000

Kathmandu, Nepal

Great Home base in Nepal. Very friendly staff, great activities and fantastic cheap restaurant up on the very comfortable rooftop terrace. The atmosphere is ideal to meet people and you are in the heart of the city while still being down a quiet street. Flexible staff too who allowed me to leave before my reservation was over because of a strike and come back later to use those days I had already paid for.

Istanbul Harmony Hostel

Istanbul, Turkey

Just an overall great stay. No bunk beds is awesome, spacious dorms, and an awesome indoor/outdoor rooftop terrace. Fantastic breakfast cooked up by the temporary resident Canadian, and a fabulous atmosphere where you are encouraged to meet people. Right in the middle of it all making the massive metropolis of Istanbul seem like a simply navigated smaller city. Can't recommend enough. Watching fireworks from the roof for the turkish holiday on the 29th was unforgettable too. Amazing views.

• 26th Oct 2013

Santorini Breeze Studios

Santorini, Greece

I had a great stay here, comfortable dorm and not being in a bunk bed was nice. Great Wifi, excellent location near both beach and bus. Owner was helpful, friendly and good to talk to. Only negative was that by the end of october it's not very busy around Perissa or the hotel, that said it was a nice escape from the tourists of Santorini.

• 15th Oct 2013

Heraklio Youth Hostel

Heraklion, Greece

I booked here because it was all I could find and by the other reviews I prepared myself for a bad experience. IT wasn't the case at all, staff was friendly and helpful, the hostel was comfortable if not luxurious and I had a nice stay here. Wifi worked very well, met some fellow travellers here and was amazed by the location. The perfect place to stay o explore Heraklion and a great value too. I had no problems.

• 13th Oct 2013

Little Big House

Thessaloniki, Greece

Had a great stay here. Warm welcome from the staff, really nice outdoor social area, breakfast looked good though I never had it. Nice location away from the centres manic energy but plenty close to walk into it, up on the hill near good restaurants and a few minutes climb away from fantastic views. Clean, comfortable, good wifi. Hard to ask for much more.

UNITY Hostel Skopje

Skopje, Macedonia

Most comfortable beds Ive slept on in a hostel and great privacy curtains. Friendly and helpful staff and great location. Very social but laid back atmosphere, within 5 minutes of arriving I was heading out with fellow travellers. Great home away from home and place to meet like minded people. Nice kitchen, good internet. Not a single thing to complain about. Keep doing what your doing Unity Hostel! I hope I can come back some day.

Swanky Mint

Zagreb, Croatia

The staff take a good hostel and make it absolutely amazing. The hostel is comfortable and very social, with a great bar and terrace if it was warmer. I ended up staying 5 days instead of 2 because my laptop was getting fixed. The staff kept me busy, planned everything for me and were always there with a kind word and great attitude. They really do make this place a perfect hostel, thanks Swanky Mint Team.

• 28th Sep 2013

Hostel Splendido Sibenik

Sibenik, Croatia

A great place to see Krka falls national park from. The beds are comfortable, wifi works well, a kitchen and nice balcony. Everything you need. I booked two nights but stayed 5 and slept well for all of them. The season is winding down so it was a little empty but still lots of chances to talk to other traveller when they were around. Great time here.

• 23rd Sep 2013

Backpackers Fairytale

Split, Croatia

Great stay, friendly staff, comfy bed, jsut outside the old town making it quiet but still close to all the action. I had a great stay here.

• 19th Sep 2013

Hostel City Center Sarajevo

Sarajevo, Bosnia And Herzegovina

I had a wonderful stay here. The staff was warm and welcoming, the hostel is like a little oasis and a whole separate world The beds and lounge areas are very comfortable. I never had breakfast but it looked good. There is a social atmosphere here without a party one which is very nice. The tv and ample movie collection and ps3 is helpful for rainy days. They even let me sleep on the couch when the hostel was full so I wouldn't have to move! Amazing

• 17th Sep 2013

Hostel Hikers Den

Zabljak, Montenegro

Perfect stay, refreshingly cool and sleeping under a good thick blanket is a joy after a summer f southern european travel. Durmitor national park is insanely beautiful, the town is scenic, comfortable and welcoming. The staff are wonderful and eager to help you in any way they can. Also great people to talk to and a nice social atmosphere in the common room. Make time for Zabljak and when you do stay here!

• 14th Sep 2013

Old Town Hostel East Wing

Kotor, Montenegro

A wonderful stay. There are party's for those who want them but the dorms seem perfectly peaceful. Wonderful social atmosphere. The 10 bed is huge. Good wifi, really neat old building, and something different every night. Mussels my first night were incredible and free. Great tour of the area around Kotor too. Highly recommended. If searching for cheap but good food, head towards the bus station out of the old town. Great grills!

• 11th Sep 2013

Hostel Majdas

Mostar, Bosnia And Herzegovina

I stayed 5 days instead of 3 and even then it was hard to leave. Mostar is beautiful and the hostel becomes your home. Great social atmosphere, amazing breakfast (and sometimes dinner too), bathrooms that remind you more of a resort than a hostel, comfortable beds and absolutely amazing staff. Do the tour you won't regret it. I'm hoping to come back to do it again. Tied for the best hostel I have ever stayed in, in my 8 months of lifetime travelling. Thanks to everyone there!

Hostel Dubrovnik Sunset

Dubrovnik, Croatia

I really enjoyed my stay here despite being exhausted upon arrival and unsure of the place. It is a 20 minute drive from dubrovnik but the shuttle is convenient and it's a much nicer place to be anyway. The restaurant and supermarket below are good, staff is very helpful and eager to converse, and you are set up for some beautiful coastal hiking to avoid the tourist insanity that is Dubrovnik. (exceedingly beautiful, but very crowded and expensive) If i return I'll be staying here again.

• 31st Aug 2013

Hostel Lodi

Rome, Italy

I had a lovely stay at Hostel Lodi. The staff are all incredible, and very welcoming. The dorm i stayed in was clean comfortable and well equipped and the wifi worked well. The garden is beautiful but hard to spend much time in because your in rome. Its not perfectly central but is in a very nice little neighbourhood close to metro and maybe half an hours walk to the colosseum. I only had breakfast on the last day and wished i had had it before. It's the best hostel breakfast I've ever had.

• 28th Aug 2013

Giovanni's Home

Naples, Italy

I had a fantastic stay at Giovanni's for 4 nights. I arrived at 8 in the morning and he was very welcoming. Te detail he gives you about Napoli is incredible and he clearly loves his city. T/he place was very social and i met countess people but also slept like a baby each night (air. con amazing) Giovanni made us lunch my first day there and it was a warm and delicious welcome. Occasionally the wifi would drop but it always came back quickly and that was the only blemish on a perfect stay.

• 24th Aug 2013

Sunny Side Up

Palermo, Italy

I only got to stay one night in this brand new hostel that said the welcome was warm and It provided a nice relaxing day. The owner is very kind and wants you to enjoy Palermo. The rooms are very big for the number of bed's and each room has it's own good fan. It's very nice not to sleep in bunk beds again. I would recommend some sort of sign outside to make it easier to find. It is a little out of the way but I did not get to explore the area much, still an easy walk to Teatro Massimo.

• 17th Aug 2013

A Casa di Amici

Palermo, Italy

I only had 1 night here but was impressed by the facilities. Air conditioning after a month without it was a joy, the wifi worked well, and everyone was quite friendly. Also, I was in the 4 bed dorm, and not sleeping in bunk beds was a real pleasant change. Very much enjoyed my stay here.

• 16th Aug 2013

Ai Quattro Canti

Palermo, Italy

I had a great two night stay here. The owners/staff are incredibly friendly and organize all kinds of outings at night. You also get all the information you could possibly need for Palermo. Great place to meet people. I unfortunately got sick so didn't get to enjoy the outings but because of the warm hospitality and comfortable surroundings with great wifi I still greatly enjoyed my time at Al Quattro Canti.

• 14th Aug 2013
  • Globetrotter

I had a fantastic time in this unique a Hostel. I ended up staying 6 nights in a private room, which while quite small was cheap and all i needed. The fan just for me really paid off too. Amazing views, great social atmosphere if you want but the property is big enough to be on your own too . Really cool unique artifacts all around you. You could spend a morning or afternoon just exploring the property itself. Also for those who have never been Gozo itself is a paradise to me.

• 30th Jul 2013

Boho Hostel

St. Julians, Malta

a great stay at a very well run and social hostel. Lots of good conversations shared with guests and staff alike. Comfortable dorms, lockers for valuable and a beautiful garden. Very much enjoyed my stay at Boho. The location is fine but a little out of the way and up a hill or two, still the friendly atmosphere and attentive staff make up for it.

• 28th Jul 2013

Nice Way Sintra Palace

Sintra, Portugal

Only stayed one night, but wanted to stay longer. Great place with super friendly and helpful staff. Beds are a bit thin but dorm is spacious and comfortable, and the lounge and garden are nice. Breakfast is simple but good, and wifi worked great. Really nice place made awesome by the friendly staff who are full of great recomendations if you ask.

• 19th Feb 2013
  • Globetrotter

Fantastic stay, very helpful staff, great thick and sturdy beds we're nice and comfy, breakfast was solid, and the lounge is lovely. the view of lisbon in the park outside is amazing condidering you're still in the heart of the city.

• 16th Feb 2013

Abigails Hostel

Dublin, Ireland

It was a wonderful stay made more wonderful by the helpful staff. I arrived at 8am and not only stored my luggage without any issue, also got invited to the breakfast and given a nice free map by the courteous and helpful staff. The rooms were large and relatively comfortable, the lounge is huge, and very functional, though not the most full of character place, still an effective area to meet fellow travelers. breakfast simple but good and great wifi!

Travel Joy Hostels Chelsea

Great atmosphere here, staff are friendly great lounge /restaurant/bar. Really nice social place and good fairly central location. Beds are comfortable and rooms are clean if a bit small. I would definitely stay again.

• 21st Dec 2012

Freedom Traveller

Rome, Italy

I stayed for one night and very much enjoyed it. Good staff, great location and wonderful book exchange.

Hostel Taormina

Taormina, Italy

I loved my stay at this hostel. Loved it so much I came back the next week and am still here. The staff is wonderful, the kitchen is great and the terrace overlooking Taormina is a dream come true. There is a very friendly, happy, and laid back atmosphere around the whole place and it is the perfect location to discover Taormina and more. My only suggestion would be getting a fan for each room as on the warmest of summer nights it gets a little hot.

B&B Globetrotter Siracusa

Syracuse, Italy

A wonderful bed and breakfast though I ended up staying in a twin room when I booked a single, but they charged me the same price and I just had an extra bed. Lovely terrace, friendly staff, delicious breakfast. So close to everything. Amazing air conditioning and Wi-Fi. Would happily stay again.