ExIstanbul House

Istanbul, Turkey

This place is on one of the sketchier streets of Taksim. It's busy and noisy 24/7. The hostel itself is safe; you must buzz to enter. It's also super clean, and there is a nice social atmosphere with lots of Erasmus students who are staying in Turkey for several months. I'd recommend this location if you're wanting to party and go out. I reckon you could make friends easily here, especially if you stay for multiple nights. But if you're not willing to rough it up a bit, it might not be for you.

Strand Continental

This hostel is clean, cheap, and basic. The location is great as far as nearby attractions (Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly, Thames), although the area can get a bit dodgy at night; I wouldn't want to walk around drunk after midnight. Luckily the hostel has an outdoor and indoor lock and feels very secure. It isn't a very social atmosphere, and wifi can only be accessed downstairs in common areas. I would recommend if you want a good value for your money and a clean pair of sheets.

El Viajero - B&B

Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay

We liked this bed and breakfast a lot. It was basic, but it still had everything we needed. The rooms were very cute and quaint. We especially appreciated the breakfast in the morning, which was set up restaurant-style and was very personal.